Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of PetKal's message #10162002 « 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK II + 1.4X II TC »

PetKal
Upload & Sell: On
Re: 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK II + 1.4X II TC

Here is another shot from the same series as above, done with 70-200 f/2.8 IS MkII + 1.4xTC MkIII.
This is probably one of the most difficult shot types to make with the current EOS cameras' AF system. (We''ll see what 1DX will bring in this regard).

In fact, Servo AF can not really track that kind of fast head-on motion by a smallish/limited contrast target. What it does is oscillate focus around the target, and if a high frame rate is used, one or two shots might end up in focus. Stopping the lens down, and using 10 FPS might also help some.

Therefore, the slowdown of the lens +TC is only a contributing factor to the AF system getting stonewalled. I have observed a very similar type of Servo AF behaviour even with f/2 lenses.

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:17 AM

Previous versions of PetKal's message #10162002 « 70-200 f/2.8L IS MK II + 1.4X II TC »