Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of A.Y.'s message #10161122 « Shooting video with Sony NEX-5N »

A.Y.
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Shooting video with Sony NEX-5N

Everything depends on what's considered acceptable quality for regular family video.

NEX 18-55mm AF and OSS (IS, VR) are video silent and the in-lens stabilizer works about as well as the IS in my Canon lenses. All of my Canon zooms have noisy AF and IS that will be picked up by the build-in mic so I knew right from the start I'd have to purchased a set of video-silent lenses if I want to use an APS-C camera for video!

Depending on what you will shoot, NEX-5N should be good for family video "most of the time"

HOWEVER

a camcorder should be used for recording long events continuously using the telephoto range like school plays, sports, and wedding closeups when there will be a lot of panning and zooming. As mentioned before, having an AF/MF override is a huge plus for shooting under low-light situations to prevent AF hunting.

The new 1080 60p AVCHD 2 standard will soon, if not already, become the default format for all consumer camcorders so think twice before getting 60i, 30p AVCHD 1 gears.

Most importantly, having an A/V tripod with fluid head will make a huge difference in preventing the all-too-common home-video sea sickness.

I went with a Sony camcorder mainly because no other companies made an A/V tripod with camera controls for the consumer market at the time, and "most likely" it's still the case today. BTW, not all Sony consumer camcorders have the AV port with Lanc camera-control functions! With practices, pro-quality videos can be obtained, using consumer gears to a certain extent of course!

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:49 PM
A.Y.

Everything depends on what's considered acceptable quality for regular family video.

NEX 18-55mm AF and OSS (IS, VR) are video silent and the in-lens stabilizer works about as well as the IS in my Canon lenses. All of my Canon zooms have noisy AF and IS that will be picked up by the build-in mic so I knew right from the start I'd have to purchased a set of video-silent lenses if I want to use an APS-C camera for video!

Depending on what you will shoot, NEX-5N should be good for family video "most of the time"

HOWEVER

a camcorder should be used for recording long events continuously using the telephoto range like school plays, sports, and wedding closeups when there will be a lot of panning and zooming. As mentioned before, having an AF/MF override is a huge plus for shooting under low-light situations to prevent AF hunting.

The new 1080 60p AVCHD 2 standard will soon, if not already, become the default format for all consumer camcorders so think twice before getting 60i, 30p AVCHD 1 gears.

Most importantly, having an A/V tripod with fluid head will make a huge difference in preventing the all-too-common home-video sea sickness.

I went with a Sony camcorder mainly because no other companies made an A/V tripod with camera controls for the consumer market at the time, and "most likely" it's still the case today. BTW, not all Sony consumer camcorders have the AV port with Lanc camera-control functions! With practices, pro-quality videos can be obtained, using consumer gears to a certain extend of course!

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:37 PM
A.Y.

HOWEVER

I went with a Sony camcorder mainly because no other companies made an A/V tripod with camera controls for the consumer market at the time, and "most likely" it's still the case today. BTW, not all Sony consumer camcorders have the AV port with Lanc camera controls functions! With practices, pro-quality videos can be obtained, using consumer gears to a certain extend of course!

Dec 12, 2011 at 09:22 PM

Previous versions of A.Y.'s message #10161122 « Shooting video with Sony NEX-5N »