Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of artd's message #10160333 « Watch out for Test Rankings - Filter Flare »

artd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Watch out for Test Rankings - Filter Flare

FlyPenFly wrote:
I currently own a number of filters from a big Lee kit with Singh Ray 4x6 filters to over two dozen smaller screw on filters.

I relied on the Lenstip filter tests for both UV and Circular polarizers to help me make my purchasing decisions. I've personally found that B+W UV filters do not flare as much as say Sony Zeiss branded ones when shooting lamps or into a similar bright light source.

Now flare is a funny thing in that sometimes it can add to a composition and sometimes it can ruin it. This will of course also depend on the photographer's vision.

Anyways, to get to the heart of it, I always thought Marumi Super DHG filters were top notch and they probably are as I own a couple and I've never had a big problem with them. They were tied for first with the B+W KSM Slim filters on the lenstip test.

However, from the Lenstip Circ Polarizer test, one has to better evaluate the flare. It's a pretty huge difference between the two and considering they are tied for first, it really speaks to the fact that you have to be very careful about rankings from review sites.

Look at the two:

Beyond the transmission and effectiveness of a polarizer, the marumi flare is horrendous. Yet they are tied for the same rank. Just a reminder for any review, take whatever is written with a big grain of salt and rely on your own visual inspection to help you decide on your tools.

Well in fairness to Lenstip, their scoring for flare on the Marumi was quite a bit lower than the B+W. Marumi scored was 5.25/7.5 for flare while the B+W got 7.5/7.5. The rankings were based on a composite of scoring criteria, not just that one factor.

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:05 PM
artd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Watch out for Test Rankings - Filter Flare

FlyPenFly wrote:
I currently own a number of filters from a big Lee kit with Singh Ray 4x6 filters to over two dozen smaller screw on filters.

I relied on the Lenstip filter tests for both UV and Circular polarizers to help me make my purchasing decisions. I've personally found that B+W UV filters do not flare as much as say Sony Zeiss branded ones when shooting lamps or into a similar bright light source.

Now flare is a funny thing in that sometimes it can add to a composition and sometimes it can ruin it. This will of course also depend on the photographer's vision.

Anyways, to get to the heart of it, I always thought Marumi Super DHG filters were top notch and they probably are as I own a couple and I've never had a big problem with them. They were tied for first with the B+W KSM Slim filters on the lenstip test.

However, from the Lenstip Circ Polarizer test, one has to better evaluate the flare. It's a pretty huge difference between the two and considering they are tied for first, it really speaks to the fact that you have to be very careful about rankings from review sites.

Look at the two:

B+W KSM

Marumi Super DHG

Beyond the transmission and effectiveness of a polarizer, the marumi flare is horrendous. Yet they are tied for the same rank. Just a reminder for any review, take whatever is written with a big grain of salt and rely on your own visual inspection to help you decide on your tools.

Well in fairness to Lenstip, their scoring for flare on the Marumi was quite a bit lower than the B+W. Marumi scored was 5.25/7.5 for flare while the B+W got 7.5/7.5. The rankings were based on a composite of scoring criteria, not just that one factor.

Dec 12, 2011 at 05:03 PM

Previous versions of artd's message #10160333 « Watch out for Test Rankings - Filter Flare »