Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of uhoh7's message #10157046 « Does the 5N 'exaggerate' field curvature? »

uhoh7
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Does the 5N 'exaggerate' field curvature?

douglasf13 wrote:
Yeah, same here. The FDn 28/2 is about the same size as my SMC Tak 50/1.4, if you include the adapters, so I think it\'ll be right at my limit for single lens carry. If I bring my little bag, I have just enough room to add the 17/4 and 55/1.2, so it shouldn\'t really change my carry habits much. Of course, I\'d rather have the M Summicron 28/2, but it\'s a $3800 difference.

3800? again, for the record and not to try to talk anyone into anything they go LNIB every few weeks for 3300, I paid 3-- mine has a wear mark on the word leica on the front ring--otherwise perfect. With patience 2800 would be no problem and I\'d bet money you could find one for 2500 within 6 months if you really tried.

But I think your idea is perfectly fine and I\'m looking forward to your results.

One thing you will find with the FDs: the mount is no fun. You will want at least 2 adapters, because there is no such thing as a fast change. The worst is the FD, the FL and nFD are better, but still no fun.

You really have to watch it, or you will be on the wrong side of the lever--or shooting wide open all the time. First, you gotta press it straight in exactly in the right place, then you make a huge turn with heavy resistance. Then you turn the lock ring to get the aperture working.

Once you have the lens on you soon see how we have been spoiled by the hawks adapter, because infinity is well short of the throw on most adapters.

You can change an M-Mount in 1/10th the time as you can any FD. You actually have to closely inspect to see if you have it right fairly often.

But for you douglas--I know you will practice and get it down. Much easier, since you have all that extra dough is to have at least 3 adapters. Then you can swap faster than an M

Believe it or not, the leica 28 is also my ticket off the gear train. I don\'t even want to think. I\'ve been on the budget route--now I have 5 28s besides the leica. They should all go. That brings my out of pocket down to under 2 for the lecia. I\'m gonna sell many more, besides.

But I want to have my camera on me skiing or on my bike, or out to dinner. SLR is not practical in my experience for out of pocket shooting.

For me the leica is more than worth it---I will have that lens when the nex is a memory. It shoots great on apsc-c, it will shoot even better on FF. That day will come

But we each have our priorities--I may never have a 7 body, for example. That\'s what makes it fun: the mix.

BTW you prolly know, but the another superb nFD is the 20/2.8. And the 200/2.8 IF--last version is excellent. there is an ulra light 100 which is super sharp. I have a 35/2 radioactive FD which is really shapr, but over 400 grams. I\'d would keep my eye out for an 85/1.2

As to the FL 55/ 1.2 I would consider the nFD 50/1.2 L which is not too heavy and one of the best 1.2s---maybe THE best ever made--highly undervalued at around 5-600.

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:55 AM
uhoh7
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Does the 5N 'exaggerate' field curvature?

douglasf13 wrote:
Yeah, same here. The FDn 28/2 is about the same size as my SMC Tak 50/1.4, if you include the adapters, so I think it\'ll be right at my limit for single lens carry. If I bring my little bag, I have just enough room to add the 17/4 and 55/1.2, so it shouldn\'t really change my carry habits much. Of course, I\'d rather have the M Summicron 28/2, but it\'s a $3800 difference.

3800? again, for the record and not to try to talk anyone into anything they go LNIB every few weeks for 3300, I paid 3-- mine has a wear mark on the word leica on the front ring--otherwise perfect. With patience 2800 would be no problem and I\'d bet money you could find one for 2500 within 6 months if you really tried.

But I think your idea is perfectly fine and I\'m looking forward to your results.

One thing you will find with the FDs: the mount is no fun. You will want at least 2 adapters, because there is no such thing as a fast change. The worst is the FD, the FL and nFD are better, but still no fun.

You really have to watch it, or you will be on the wrong side of the lever--or shooting wide open all the time. First, you gotta press it straight in exactly in the right place, then you make a huge turn with heavy resistance. Then you turn the lock ring to get the aperture working.

Once you have the lens on you soon see how we have been spoiled by the hawks adapter, because infinity is well short of the throw on most adapters.

You can change an M-Mount in 1/10th the time as you can any FD. You actually have to closely inspect to see if you have it right fairly often.

But for you douglas--I know you will practice and get it down. Much easier, since you have all that extra dough is to have at least 3 adapters. Then you can swap faster than an M

Believe it or not, the leica 28 is also my ticket off the gear train. I don\'t even want to think. I\'ve been on the budget route--now I have 5 28s besides the leica. They should all go. That brings my out of pocket down to under 2 for the lecia. I\'m gonna sell many more, besides.

But I want to have my camera on me skiing or on my bike, or out to dinner. SLR is not practical in my experience for out of pocket shooting.

For me the leica is more than worth it---I will have that lens when the nex is a memory. It shoots great on apsc-c, it will shoot even better on FF. That day will come

But we each have our priorities--I may never have a 7 body, for example. That\'s what makes it fun: the mix.

BTW you prolly know, but the another superb nFD is the 20/2.8. And the 200/2.8 IF--last version is excellent. there is an ulra light 100 which is super sharp. And if I were you, I would keep my eye out for an 85/1.2

Dec 11, 2011 at 02:42 AM

Previous versions of uhoh7's message #10157046 « Does the 5N 'exaggerate' field curvature? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.