Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Camerajunqie's message #10152283 « 40D focusing concern »

Camerajunqie
Upload & Sell: Off
40D focusing concern

I took my 40d to the duck blind this past weekend with very poor results. It was really struggling with autofocus with the lens searching, searching and not usually finding. I have read many of the old posts on the topic. Many suggest user error while others suggest the need to send the camera to Canon. Some posts suggest resetting the camera to factory settings. I have the camera set on center point focus using the * button. I can understand the difficulty in getting hand held focus on an individual bird in flight, so I took different sets of photos. Some with ducks in water, some in flight both single shot and multiple shot. My hope was that if my first shot was off, that the autofocus feature would take over and correct the focus. Maybe I don't understand autofocus but it did seem to happen. The final two shots are of the decoys sitting in water. The focal point is the two mottled duck decoys. The first photo was with the focusing button and the second using live feature. The second easily out paces the first.

Bottom line, I only use the 40D as a backup to my 7D. If it is a focus issue with me, then I'll just have to keep practicing. If it is a camera issue, then I'll have to decide whether to sell it (with full disclosure of my concern) or send it to canon. I am debating the former replacing it with a less expensive T3i. Before I take action, I wanted your thoughts. Thanks.

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:35 PM
Camerajunqie
Upload & Sell: Off
40D focusing concern

I took my 40d to the duck blind this past weekend with very poor results. It was really struggling with autofocus with the lens searching, searching and not usually finding. I have read many of the old posts on the topic. Many suggest user error while others suggest the need to send the camera to Canon. Some posts suggest resetting the camera to factory settings. I have the camera set on center point focus using the * button. I can understand the difficulty in getting hand held focus on an individual bird in flight, so I took different sets of photos. Some with ducks in water, some in flight both single shot and multiple shot. My hope was that if my first shot was off, that the autofocus feature would take over and correct the focus. Maybe I don't understand autofocus but it did seem to happen. The final two shots are of the decoys sitting in water. The focal point is the two mottled duck decoys. The first photo was with the focusing button and the second using live feature. The second easily out paces the first.

Bottom line, I only use the 40D as a backup to my 7D. If it is a focus issue with me, then I'll just have to keep practicing. If it is a camera issue, then I'll have to decide whether to sell it (with full disclosure of my concern) or send it to canon. I am debating the former replacing it with a less expensive T3i. Before I take action, I wanted your thoughts. Thanks.

Dec 09, 2011 at 01:30 PM

Previous versions of Camerajunqie's message #10152283 « 40D focusing concern »