Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of mjeffbr's message #10152210 « to crop or not to crop? »

mjeffbr
Upload & Sell: Off
to crop or not to crop?

I have a tendency to always take into consideration the worst view of anything, I know it should not be like that, but anyways, one bad review and I start looking for alternatives, even if all the others say that thing is great.

Well, the reviewers at photozone seem to be pretty harsh when it comes to analyzing canon lenses on a FF body, even the so called “holy trinity” of primes has received some criticism

I do not know why the same lenses get much better reviews for crop sensor cameras (they post two reviews of each lens), but as he posts all the test results one should assume they have some credibility, even though I think for a moment that the same results could be taken as “better” simply because you have a crop, so for a crop shooter it’s ok, you should be thankful, but for a full frame you deserve more…

I was pretty convinced that FF was the way to go, but now I kinda have that doubt, an example: the 70-200 2.8 II is near perfect for FF, and flawless for Crops, the same goes to many other lenses, some are ok for FF, but very good for 1.6x cameras, like the almighty 85 1.2, which, according to them, is not so good for FF

I am well aware of the field of view, which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your style

but there always seems to be more distortion, and all sorts of problems on the corners, like vignetting, light falloff, ca, and what frightens me the most = loss of sharpness

so for me the question is

To crop or not to crop?

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:16 PM
mjeffbr
Upload & Sell: Off
to crop or not to crop?

I have a tendency to always take into consideration the worst view of anything, I know it should not be like that, but anyways, one bad review and I start looking for alternatives, even if all the others say that thing is great.

Well, the reviewers at photozone seem to be pretty harsh when it comes to analyzing canon lenses on a FF body, even the so called “holy trinity” of primes has received some criticism

I do not know why the same lenses get much better reviews for crop sensor cameras (they post two reviews of each lens), but as he posts all the test results one should assume they have some credibility, even though I think for a moment that the same results could be taken as “better” simply because you have a crop, so for a crop shooter it’s ok, you should be thankful, but for a full frame you deserve more…

I was pretty convinced that FF was the way to go, but now I kinda have that doubt, an example: the 70-200 2.8 II is near perfect for FF, and flawless for Crops, the same goes to many other lenses, some are ok for FF, but very good for 1.6x cameras, like the almighty 85 1.2, which, according to them, is not so good for FF

I am well aware of the focal lenght differences which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on your style

but there always seems to be more distortion, and all sorts of problems on the corners, like vignetting, light falloff, ca, and what frightens me the most = loss of sharpness

so for me the question is

To crop or not to crop?

Dec 09, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Previous versions of mjeffbr's message #10152210 « to crop or not to crop? »