Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of gregfountain's message #10140801 « What am I doing wrong? - Nikon Micro Macro »

gregfountain
Upload & Sell: On
Re: What am I doing wrong? - Nikon Micro Macro

Not sure is I can offer any help beyond what has already been offered, but since I have the very same lens, I thought I could offer some of my specific experience with it. First of all, I use a D700, so I am not sure how it differs on a DX sensor, but like Rusty mentioned, any closer than 1:1 demands a tripod and adequate "soft" light.

Most of the macro guys rig their flashes with all sorts of material, including paper towels, to diffuse the effect of harsh light and shadows generated by a flash. I've used up to 3200 ISO on macros, but 1600 works fine and should on the D7000 as well. Remember, the larger the light source, the softer the shadows.

Here's my suggestion in order of importance for me:

Use a tripod!
Turn off the VR when using a tripod! Use it only for handheld shots.
Manual focus. Manual focus. Manual focus. I know, why have AF? It is also an excellent portrait lens. Use AF for those.
ISO 1600 on the D7000 is your friend, as is a fast shutter!
f/9 to f/11 seems to be the sweet spot for this lens for close up shots. Make your adjustments to accommodate this range.

Here is an example shot handheld (with VR on) at 1600 ISO, and a SB700 with the bounce card up, and the WB adjusted +2 Amber. Original file cropped to 8 x 10 ratio, levels, shadow & highlight adjustments in PS, zero sharpening, zero noise reduction.

Hope this help at least a little!

Greg

Dec 05, 2011 at 07:01 AM

Previous versions of gregfountain's message #10140801 « What am I doing wrong? - Nikon Micro Macro »