Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10096730 « Do I really need a Light Meter? »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Do I really need a Light Meter?

alaskalive wrote:
I am going to be an awesome studio photographer

I think you\'ll find that the light meter is absolutely going to be part of your arsenal en route to your goal. The only part of the equation that is variable (imo) is not \"IF\" ... but \"WHEN\". We all have to make such decisions along the way, and when they are being coupled with other decisions ... the \"WHEN\" isn\'t always an easy one to answer.

You\'ve got a lot of ground to cover and learn (which is fine, we all start at the beginning). So even if \"NOW\" isn\'t in the cards for you, it won\'t prevent you from progressing \"NOW\" through other methods/approaches. Ultimately, it is YOU that will make you \"awesome\" and you\'ll pick & choose the tools that you prefer to use.

To me, a studio photographer without a light meter is kinda like a carpenter without a tape measure ... skilled carpenters may be able to work without one, but most skilled carpenters still have one in their tool chest. You can either \"measure twice & cut once\" ... or you can \"cut, check for fit, re-cut, re-check for fit, re-cut, re-check for fit, etc.\"

If you\'ve only got one board to cut, either way might be okay. But when you are trying to put together multiple boards (or lights) to achieve a specific outcome (i.e. square or evenly lit, etc.) ... it can be a tough gig to get the additional pieces to fit together properly by way of \"cut & check\" as your methodolgy / approach.

Nov 18, 2011 at 04:51 PM
RustyBug

alaskalive wrote:

I think you\'ll find that the light meter is absolutely going to be part of your arsenal en route to your goal. The only part of the equation that is variable (imo) is not \"IF\" ... but \"WHEN\". We all have to make such decisions along the way, and when they are being coupled with other decisions ... the \"WHEN\" isn\'t always an easy one to answer.

You\'ve got a lot of ground to cover and learn (which is fine, we all start at the beginning). So even if \"NOW\" isn\'t in the cards for you, it won\'t prevent you from progressing \"NOW\" through other methods/approaches. Ultimately, it is YOU that will make you \"awesome\" and you\'ll pick & choose the tools that you prefer to use.

To me, a studio photographer without a light meter is kinda like a carpenter without a tape measure ... skilled carpenters may be able to work without one, but most skilled carpenters still have one in their tool chest. You can either \"measure twice & cut once\" ... or you can \"cut, check for fit, re-cut, re-check for fit, re-cut, re-check for fit, etc.\"

If you\'ve only got one board to cut, either way might be okay. But when you are trying to put together four boards to make a square frame of a certain size ... it can be a tough gig to get the additional pieces to fit together properly by way of \"cut & check\" as your methodolgy / approach.

Nov 18, 2011 at 04:48 PM
RustyBug

alaskalive wrote:

If you\'ve only got one board to cut, either way might be okay. But when you are trying to put together four boards to make a square frame of a certain size ... it can be a tough gig to get the additional pieces to fit together properly by way of \"cut & check\".

Nov 18, 2011 at 04:45 PM
RustyBug

alaskalive wrote:

You\'ve got a lot of ground to cover and learn (which is fine, we all start at the beginning). So even if \"NOW\" isn\'t in the cards for you, it won\'t prevent you from progressing \"NOW\" through other methods/approaches and the simplicity of trial & error. Ultimately, it is YOU that will make you \"awesome\" and you\'ll pick & choose the tools that you prefer to use.

Nov 18, 2011 at 04:37 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #10096730 « Do I really need a Light Meter? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.