FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · New Hiker Questions?

DarrenS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Hiker Questions?

I recently moved to the Seattle/Puget Sound Area and I really would like to get back into landscape photography and what better place than Seattle.

I have not hiked in quite some time and even if I did hike they were really easy 3-4 mile established trail that were pretty flat. But now that i live in Seattle, the hikes that I would like to do to get some great landscape shots look to be much more strenuous.

My question is this.... what hiking gear or pack do I need to support my photography? i have a Kata HB-205 Hiker Backpack, but it feels really big and i dont really want to mix food/water with my camera gear. Furthermore, if I'm doing an overnight hike in which I will be carrying a tent or sleeping bag, the HB-205 is not a good option.

What pack/gear do you guys use? Again I probably want it to double a daypack.

Gear I have or want to bring with me:
-Canon 20D
-17-40
-28-70
-Bogen/Manfrotto MagFiber Tripod w/ Markins M10 BallHead

Edited by DarrenS on Apr 27, 2007 at 12:04 PM GMT

Apr 24, 2007 at 02:20 PM
Musgrove Wood

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Hiker Questions?

Hi DarrenS,

I lived for many years in Marin County near San Francisco and hiked all the time with my gear. I'm now in upstate NY and do the same. For both locales I have used a Crumpler Customary Barge backpack and it has served me well. I currently shoot with a Pentax K10D, which is about the same size as a 20D. Before the Pentax body, I shot with a Canon 30D. Both fit well with an extra lens/flash in the compartment designed for SLR storage. What I like about the Cutomary Barge pack is that it also includes a sleeve for my laptop, which comes in handy on trips lasting more than a day where I might want to bring along the lappy. Good luck with your decision and happy hiking.

Apr 24, 2007 at 02:31 PM
bmccammon
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Hiker Questions?

I'd recommend that you visit the REI store just off I-5 in Seattle. Tell them the type of hiking you intend and what your load will consist of (camera, lenses, food, water, etc.). Get them to fit you properly for the pack...nothing will spoil a great outing more than poorly fitting gear whether it is a pack or your boots. Be clear about your hiking abilities and stay safe as you get more used to the activity and carrying your gear. You're blessed with a great location as the photos in this forum will testify. Go forth - SAFELY - and shoot. Best wishes.

Apr 24, 2007 at 02:57 PM
floris
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Hiker Questions?

For multiday camping/backpacking trips use a backpacking pack and pack your camera gear safely in either smaller lens cases and such, or plastic bags and clothes (if you're really worried about weight). You can look in to some ultralight options to save weight too.. base weight of 10-15lbs excluding camer gear and food is very doable.

Apr 24, 2007 at 03:16 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Hiker Questions?

For overnighters, I use an Osprey Atmos 50 for my backpacking gear and this Tamrac camera case on the waistbelt of the Osprey. This gives me quick access to the camera if a photo opp appears... Also, I will run my tripod through the compression straps on the side of the pack:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_miller/image/76031690/original.jpg

Apr 24, 2007 at 07:53 PM
DarrenS
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Hiker Questions?

Thanks guys.... I think I'm going to go with a belt pack, so that I can have easy access to my camera and i'll just get a traditional day/hiking pack and just strap my tripod to my backpack

Apr 25, 2007 at 04:51 PM
smpetty
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Hiker Questions?

I tried the Kata, LowePro, Tamrac, and Kinesis backpacks for hiking and was never comfortable or satisfied. I ended up getting an Osprey Aether 70 backpack which is INCREDIBLY light and comfortable and hauls up to 50 lbs. of gear without a hitch. Your size is important - I'm 6'5", 240 lbs. - a smaller pack may be better for most. I've also got an Osprey Atmos 50 pack that is wonderful for dayhikes with camera gear, water, and a snack. The bottom line is that the hiking and backpacking pack manufacturers are more adept at making a good fitting, adjustable, comfortable pack for the trail.

If I know the trip will be dry, I use cheap Carhart tobaggans to put each piece of gear in - prevents scratches. If there is any chance of rain, I put each piece of camera gear in a Kinesis bag and put those in my pack. It's very flexible and had worked without a hitch for years. If I want to take pictures along the way, I usually carry the camera in one hand. I pack the tripod head side down in one of the water bottle pockets of the pack, lashed securely to the side of the pack with one or two of the compression straps.

For really light travel with gear and a tripod, I've just bought Kinesis' tripod bag with their pack straps. It looks like I'll be able to stash a water bottle, an extra lens, and a couple of snack bars in the bag easily. National Geographic also sells a tripod backpack that should do the same. I'll try and report back after I've used the Kinesis bag a time or two...

Scott

Apr 25, 2007 at 07:00 PM
DarrenS
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Hiker Questions?

Thank You !!!

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:39 AM
mrladewig
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Hiker Questions?

Boots - there's an saying that a pound on your feet is equivalent to 5 in your pack. I can tell you its true. In the summer, if it is dry where I'm hiking, I often just use trail running shoes. They are more comfortable for me and much lighter. My main boots are Vasque Sundowners, a classic gore-tex boot that lasts a long time. If they fit you well, they'll be a good basic boot. If not, finding something similar that fits will provide you with a long lasting, moderate weight boot with excellent support. The full leather construction makes them a little heavier than some options, but gives better protection from rocks and such.

For the pack, I agree with smpetty. I don't use the same packs, but I'm about the same size and use about the same size packs for my backpacking bag and my daypack.

It would be difficult to buy one backpack that would do well as a backpacking bag and a daypack. They are meant to hold their loads when relatively full and alot of bags don't carry well when they are almost empty. They are unstable. The best option for an all in one would be the smallest backpacking bags or alpinist bags. A volume of around 2300-3000 cu in is what I'm talking about, not the 5000 cu in bags. Mountainsmith example

Try not to bring stuff you are not going to need. I would not bring the 28-70 you listed as you already have a 17-70. You don't want to carry around a bunch of extra weight. You do need the tripod though.

Apr 26, 2007 at 01:44 PM
DarrenS
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Hiker Questions?

Thanks for the info on the boots.

The 17-70 was a typo, it's really a 17-40 and 28-70.

Apr 27, 2007 at 03:03 PM
mtbakerskier
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Hiker Questions?

I use an Osprey Eclipse 42 +5 that has been specially modified to house camera gear on the inside, in a simular fashion to that of a Lowpro.

Unfortuantly the Eclipse is no longer in production, and I dont beleave that they make a simmular pack with a full back zip (essentail for carying camera gear) any more. It would be worth it too look around a bit. Also FYI Feathered Friends accross the street from REI is about 1000X better for pack fitting than REI.

Apr 27, 2007 at 07:43 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.