New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2005 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

organm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

Hi,

I have just purchased a Tokina 12-24 f4 lens and was wondering if anyone could advise which HOYA CP Filter to purchase that will not cause vigneting.

Thanks

Mark

Dec 17, 2005 at 06:25 AM
jen729w
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

You'll need one of the slim filters (I have a B+H on order, I don't know which line of Hoya you'll need). As far as I understand, these don't have the front screw threads which allow you to attach another filter (or a lens cap?), and so don't vignette as they're a few mm shorter than the regular filters.

Unfortunately, the top-of-the-line cost a bloody fortune.

Fortunately the same filter will fit my 24-105.

Dec 17, 2005 at 06:31 AM
organm

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

Thanks,

You were very quick, sent a targeted PM to you as well. Which B&H are you buying?

Yes, $200 plus for a filter seems excessive.

Mark

Dec 17, 2005 at 06:35 AM
jen729w
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

It's cold outside, so here I sit sniffing out Tokina 12-24mm questions!

I don't know which one I've bought - the dude ordered it for me and I don't have it yet. I know it was the best one (as I can also use it on the 24-105, and I'm with Beni on the "buy it right first time" thing). Cost me AU$250 from Camera Exchange on Lonsdale St, Melbourne. A lot of money? Yup... but then I've got nice lenses to put it on, so it seems a shame putting a piece of crap glass in front of them. I'll look after it and hopefully have it for a long time.

Dec 17, 2005 at 07:02 AM
BrianJR
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

Make sure you don't mind the push-on filter cap. If you've never used one before, let me warn you they are junk. I have a Hoya thin polarizer with the push-on cap, and it falls off very easily. I've given up using it, which now means I walk around with a $150 filter with no protection. Its only a matter of time before I scratch it.

Next time I'm buying a thin filter with front threads. Hoya makes one, but its not cheap:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=306011&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Dec 17, 2005 at 07:32 AM
jrsforums
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

jen729w wrote:
You'll need one of the slim filters (I have a B+H on order, I don't know which line of Hoya you'll need). As far as I understand, these don't have the front screw threads which allow you to attach another filter (or a lens cap?), and so don't vignette as they're a few mm shorter than the regular filters.

Unfortunately, the top-of-the-line cost a bloody fortune.

Fortunately the same filter will fit my 24-105.

Hoya Super HMC Pro 1 is slimmest CP out the (5mm), and has front threads. I bought from Filter connection www.2filter.com
(put it into cart to view the lower price).

John

Dec 17, 2005 at 08:50 AM
jen729w
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

BrianJR wrote:
Make sure you don't mind the push-on filter cap. If you've never used one before, let me warn you they are junk. I have a Hoya thin polarizer with the push-on cap, and it falls off very easily. I've given up using it, which now means I walk around with a $150 filter with no protection. Its only a matter of time before I scratch it.

I always, always have the hood on both my Tokina and Canon (and Sigma, though it's the wrong size for this filter).

I'm a little less precious about the nifty fifty, but then it did cost about the same as a pack of beer nuts.

Dec 17, 2005 at 09:08 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

John - is that a reputable site to buy from? That's a very good price for the SMC Pro 1.

Dec 17, 2005 at 09:17 AM
nads
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

I've been using regular full size B+W UV filter on my Tokina... I found it on the buy & sell. I figured I could protect the front element 90% of the time, but when I need that full 12mm angle I can take it off to protect against vignetting.

What I realized is that with the regular filter at 12mm, the effect isn't that bad. It's no worse that the effect of light fall off on many full frame images.

Of course the bottom left corner is vignetting of the Eiffel Tower, not hte filter

http://scott.mineart.org/vegas16.jpg

Dec 17, 2005 at 09:31 AM
SJMD
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

nads wrote:
I've been using regular full size B+W UV filter on my Tokina... I found it on the buy & sell. I figured I could protect the front element 90% of the time, but when I need that full 12mm angle I can take it off to protect against vignetting.

What I realized is that with the regular filter at 12mm, the effect isn't that bad. It's no worse that the effect of light fall off on many full frame images.

I have to second that.
If you can afford the extra, it is better, but not that big of a deal for me
...Show more

Dec 17, 2005 at 09:52 AM
yido
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

I use a cheap Hoya CPL on mine. It vingettes at 12mm, but at 13mm-24mm it does not cause vingetting. I didn't think spending much more for a thin CPL (it's too thin to put a lens cap over a thin filter), just didn't seem worth it for me, as I've other lens that have 77mm filter sizes.

Dec 17, 2005 at 12:51 PM
organm

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I need to spend some $'s if I want to eliminate the vinetting problem totally. Will give some thought. The Hoya Pro1 CPL sounds good but expensive. I have the UV version which I picked up for $60AUD and it works well. I havn't obtained a price on the Pro1 CPL but I bet it won't be under $200AUD.

Mark

Dec 17, 2005 at 03:53 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

I use a standard B+W on this lens & it's fine except at the extreme end.

Dec 17, 2005 at 07:15 PM
organm

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

Bump

Dec 17, 2005 at 10:58 PM
Mad Artist
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tokina 12-24 f4 Polarising Filters

I'm using a standard UV filter which is 5mm thick with no problems even at wide/wide. The Hoya SUPER PRO-1 HMC Circular Polarizing Filter is 5mm thick and has front threads.

You can find the 77mm size at eBay for about $150. I buy all my filters from the more reputable dealers there and save 20-30% -- never had a problem. Just make sure you deal with a U.S. based dealer and you'll have your filter in three days.

Dec 19, 2005 at 10:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.