New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2005 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Pham Minh Son
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

As I built my lens collections I was able to compare many lens at different focal length and different optimized focus distances. My approach is one that will not yield the numberical values for comparisons but only based on visual evidence which I feel is very practical for us as photographers. Here are my final thoughts on all of the lens that I have tested. I will not placed price value on these lens that I tested since the demand for the lens application and it supply will dictate the price and we all know that most of these lens are discontinued. Furthermore, no test is without constructive criticism and test of a value of n = 1 is not reliable as compare to test that are repeated test after test to show the similar results. I was fortunate to test alot of Zeiss and Leitz lens versus the Japanese lens particularly the very high ends of Canon and Olympus lens and after awhile I came to a general conclusion which I am about to report below. Keep in mind that there is variance among lens with similar focal length and brand as well.

Super Wide Angle Lens:

Fisheyes 16mm F2.8:
1) Carl Zeiss F-Distagon T* 16mm F2.8
Very sharp particular in the center and even to the edge is not bad. The lens has the typical Zeiss high contrast and saturation. Like every single fisheye the Chromatic Aberration (CA) is there even Zeiss could not fix this problem here. The flare is very well control. It is very well built and it has the built in filter turret. Will work on Canon 1 series with an adapter.

2) Leitz Elmarit-R 16mm F2.8 ROM
This is was originally built by Minolta and delivered to Leica under very strict quality control since Leica rejected most of them. Thus, the one that got through Leica are very sharp. Furthermore, the ROM was thought to be Leica own design which has a 180 degree angle of view compare to the earlier version which only have 137 degree of view. Again, typical CA with fisheye lens. This fisheye also have a built in filter turret. In order to use this lens on a Canon 1 series DSLR camera, 1Ds, I have to modified the mirror to use the lens since it hisses with the mirror thus creating the error 99. Since the rear element and its metal housing is rather smaller than the Leitz Super-Elmarit-R 15mm F2.8, the modification of the mirror is only in the center and not the whole mirror. I was every excited to see the image quality of this lens on the 1Ds since it has never been shown before on digital full frame camera.

3) Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm F3.5
An amazing accomplishment at this super wide angle that met a lot of challenges of the super wide angle lens. 1) The most resilient lens against CA that I ever tested only second to the Zeiss Mirotar 500mm F4.5. 2) It is superb against flares. 3) It is a very sharp lens and well distributed across the whole entire image. 4) The only negative down side which lead to some folks stay away from rectinlear lens is the 4% distortion. It very well built and has a built in filter turrret. Will work on any Canon 1 series camera with an adapter.

4) Leica Super-Elmar-R 15mm F3.5
This is the same lens that Carl Zeiss designed for Contax above. This lens will work on your Canon 1 series camera with an adapter since it is a Zeiss design thus the rear element is further away from the mirror. The one thing that I love about this lens more than the Contax version is that I have not come across one lens that has stiff focusing mechanism. However, the aperature opening is typical of Leitz and not Zeiss where the Contax Distagon 15mm F3.5 with wide open f stops yield the Ninja Star.

5) Leica Super-Elmarit-R 15mm F2.8
This is a very recent lens thus all of them comes with ROM. The production start in 2002 and it is by Schneider Optics. This lens pick up where Zeiss left off and corrected the 4% barrel distortion all the way down to 2% barrel distotion. Thus, it give us a very pleasing looks and for those that shy away from this focal length due to distortion will love this lens. The image is the sharpest super wide angle lens that I have ever seen especially in the center. It even beat the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 and is as sharp as the Leitz 60mm macro lens. However, on the edges it is a little soft compared against the standard Zeiss 21mm F2.8 but similar to the Zeiss Distagon/Super-Elmar-R 15mm F3.5 on the edges. Thus, this is a great accomplishment by Schneider. The only other thing is that the CA is not as well control as the Zeiss Distagon/Super-Elmar-R 15mm F3.5. This lens has a built in filter turret. It required mirror modification in order to work on Canon 1 series DSLRs since the mirror hisses the rear element housing.

Wide Angle Lens:

6) Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 18mm F4.0
This is the lens that does it all but not the best of it all. Two great things comes from this lens is the edge to edge sharpness with decent CA control. It also has slightly less distortion than the Zeiss Distagon 21mm F2.8. It is a very small lens that require a special step up ring 72/86. It will work on any of the Canon 1 series DSLR cameras with an adapter. I have a secret weapon that will challenge this lens though based on my extensive research. One of my good friend just help me and confirmed it with me. Email me if you are interested in this lens.

7) Leica Elmarit-R 19mm F2.8
The MTF is very impressive for this lens and it makes sense since the optics are made from anomalous dispersion. On the R8 and R9 Leica camera this lens performance is very strong. On digital full frame camera it does not control CA as well as the Zeiss Distagon 21mm F2.8 and is softer on the corners compared to the Zeiss Distagon 21mm F2.8. But on a digital R module with the 1.37 crop factor the lens is going to be very valuable for Leica users. The center of is very sharp and the color rendition of this lens is typical of Leitz lens. This lens can be shaved from the rear metal housing or modify the mirror and it will work. This lens also has a built in filter turret.

8) Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm F2.8:
This is the gold standard in the market right now for wide angle lens on full frame digital camera. It is sharp from corner to corner and yeilding very high Micro Contrast (MiC) and Macro Contrast (MaC). This is the lens that I have my eyes on since the beginning of my photography days in 1999.

9) Olympus Zuiko 24mm F3.5 PC Shift Lens:
I will leave the story to be told by Mike Hatam, Mark Kay, and Jack Flesher. Jack is not here but somtimes folks don't have to be here for you to feel their force. They have done extensive tests.

10) Carl Zeiss Distagon 28mm F2.0 or the Hollywood 28
This lens is very similar to the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 in that it also has the floating element and the sharpness of this lens is very decent. In close up the lens yield great image detail due to the incorporated floating element. The MM mount version is rare and is a valuable lens for collectors. This lens will work with an adapter to fit all Canon 1 series cameras.

11) Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm F2.8
This is one of my all time favorite lens widely used. The design is simple and yet very well control CA. It is one of the sharpest lens that you will encounter at infinity focus. However, it does not have floating element and thus it will be sharp in the center but soft in the corner when focused at near distance. Thus, aperature stop down is required at midrange and close up focusing distance to attenuate this problem.

12) Olympus Zuiko 35mm F3.5 PC Shift Lens:
Again, I leave this story to our friends Mike Hatam, Mark Kay, and Jack Flesher.

13) Carl Zeiss Distagon PC 35mm F2.8
I love this PC lens. The built is like a tank. The resolving power is high all the way to the corners shifted.

14) Leica Summicron-R 35mm F2.0
This lens is a very sharp lens and in close focusing distance it is alot sharper than the Zeiss 35mm F2.8 but of course the Zeiss 35mm F2.8 intention is for infinity focus at which it is so sharp that it is hard to beat. I am not sure if under challenging condition the CA would show up or not. The lens will work with an adapter and does not require any modification to the lens or the mirror.

15) Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm F2.8
This one is one of the sharpest lens in the market but like the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 28mm F2.8 it is best to use at infinity focus and mid-range focusing distance. In close up it is only sharp in the center and the edge is quit soft. This lens has great value for lanscape photographers. It will work on any of the Canon 1 series DSLRs with an adapter.

Normal Lens

16) Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.7
I have not come across a bad copy of this lens yet. It is rank as the 3rd sharpest len in Zeiss lens lineup. It has low distortion than any normal lens excuding the Macro 50mm F2.8. This lens will work with an adapter to fit on Canon 1 series camera.

17) Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4
There are bad copies and terrific copies. This lens was the kit lens and the production of this lens was over produced and the price thus it is not to my surprise that there is alot of bad copies. There is a secret to get a high percentage very great copies. This lens is will work with Canon 1 series DSLR with an adapter.

18) Carl Zeiss Planar T* 55mm F1.2
I have touched this lens but have not have the opportunity to take any photo yet. It is the future project in which I hope to get. But it is a very sharp lens and the floating element is quite intriguing. Very beautiful lens.

19) Carl Zeiss S-Planar T* 60mm F2.8 Macro
This lens is very sharp and the bokeh is just so beautiful. The lens is very sharp across the whole image plane. This is what you expect from a macro lens image sharpness from corner to corner but this is a typical Zeiss design. The lens is very wide in diameter and thus easy to hold and manual focus. There is another 60mm macro version that is called the Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 60mm F2.8 and it is the same as the S-Planar formula but it was made in Japan. The 3rd version of the Zeiss 60mm macro is called the Carl Zeiss 60mm F2.8C. The C stand for compact and supposedly not as good of the lens as the other two version. The C also have the MM mount. This lens requires some fin shaving if you do not want it to scratch your mirror box. I prefer to keep the fin since I value the Zeiss lens. This lens will work on the Canon 1 series DSLRs with an adapter.

20) Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm F1.2
This lens has always been one of my favorite lens when I first learn photography. The lens has great MiC and MaC. It is one of the few lens that is not being a wide angle lens and yet still have the floating elments. This lens also have the Aspherical element as well. If you love the Zeiss Planar T* 100mm F2.0 you will love this Anniversary. This lesn require shaving the fin but as you know I don't do this to the Anniversary.

21) Leica Aspherical Apo-Summicron-R 90mm F2.0
This is the lens that I love so much and it would have been in my new signature if it was not for the Zeiss 85mm F1.2. This lens has no CA and this is where all of the 85mm F1.2 or any of the 85mm lens from Canon all the way to Zeiss and Leica. This is a very sharp lens in fact I cannot differentiate it from my Zeiss 85mm F1.2. The one thing about the Zeiss 85mm F1.2 is that it also has the floating element. If you have the Leica APO-Summicron-R 90mm F2.0 it will beat your Canon 135mm F2.0L and have well conrol CA as well. So each of these lens has its own advantage but they are both super sharp lens. This lens will work with the Canon 1 series cameras with an adapter.

22) Carl Zeiss Planar T* 100mm F2.0
This lens is a very beautiful lens with great bokeh. It is one of the top lens in Zeiss lines up. The beauty of this lens is that it has minimum distortion and thus the application for product shot would be very valuable particularly large object. This is your macro lens for big objects. Rember to use the lens at its best focusing distance. Thus, the macro lens though has minimum distortion but it is best at close up focusing and not at infinity or mid distance focusing while the Planar 100mm F2.0 shines here. This lens also requires fin shaving but you know me all my Zeiss lens are keep unmodified.

23) Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm F2.8.
This lens I cannot take credit for but to be complete it is a very sharp lens particularly at close up. The information on this test was reported by Lesong, one of our great FMer. From the information and the MTF chart I expect this lens is even better than the Zeiss 60mm S-Planar or Makro-Planar that we coming to love.

24) Leica Apo-Elmarit-R 100mm F2.8
This is my favorite macro lens since we know that Leica can finally fix the CA problem here and they are known to have great color rendition particularly the red color which is one of the most popular color for macro works. It is very sharp and it can be use for portrait as well as macro works. The nice compromise this lens gives you is that it is so sharp even at infinity focusing. In fact at midrange focusing distance it beat the famous Canon 135mm F2.0L and in close up which is where it suposed to be great and the result is simply amazing. This lens will work on all Canon 1 series DSLR cameras with an adapter.

25) Carl Zeiss Planar T* 135mm F2.0
This is the one lens that I will need to do some testing since I know the Sonnar 135mm F2.8 is a very good lens.

New information thanks Jia: The 135mm F2.0 is not as sharp in the center as the Canon EF 135mm F2.0L. But by F5.6 it is as sharp as the Canon 135mm F2.0L. However, this information is based on a 20D.

Here is my conclusion on this lens since I have tested the Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135mm F2.8, which is not as sharp as the Zeiss Planar T* 135mm F2.0, on full frame 1Ds. You should expect two things from this lens: 1) The micro-contrast and macro-contrast is higher than the Canon EF 135mm F2.0L and 2) The edge of the Zeiss Planar T* 135mm F2.0 will be sharper than the Canon EF 135mm F2.0L

Teletphoto Lens:

26) Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* 135mm F2.8
This is a very sharp lens and most underrated lens that I have seen. This lens will give you high contrast and saturation thus you will see the 3D effect on this lens as compare to the Canon 135mm F2.0L. The Zeiss is not as sharp as the Canon in the Center but it is sharper on the corners. This lens is will work on your Canon DSLR with an adapter.

27) Leica APO-Summicron-R 180mm F2.0
This lens is one of my top lens of choice. The bokeh is beautiful and the sharpness at wide open f stop is incredable. The lens is sharper than the incredible Canon EF 200mm F1.8L especially on the corners. The built of this lens allow you to handheld and manually focus easily due to the tripod mount is distributed around the lens as if it is the lens. Thus, it will not put all of the weights on the single point. This is better for your nerve while you are holding the lesn in shoot mode. This lens will work with all Canon DSLR with an adapter.

28) Leica APO-Elmarit-R 180mm F2.8
This lens is very sharp and it actually can beat the Canon EF 200mm F1.8L at infinity focusing and it is a tad below the Canon EF 200mm F1.8L at infinity focus. It is such a small lens that you can put it in your coat pocket and go out and shoot with it. It is one of the lens that I really like for the combination of size and resolving power. This lens will work with all of Canon DSLRs with an adapter.

29) Carl Zeiss ApoSonnar T* 200mm F2.0
The built of this lens is amazing and very impressive. This lens is not as sharp as the LEICA Apo-Summicron-R 180mm F2.0 at wide open f stops but when you close down to F5.6 there is no lens that is as sharp as this lens. This lens require some shaving of the fin but as you know I do not do this method.

30) Canon EF 200mm F1.8L
I decided to put a Canon lens in here since this is an exotic lens as well due to its performance and its rarity especially it is no longer in production. This is the one Canon lens that I bow down to and love. This is a very sharp lens and though there are some lens that can beat it but the resolving power of this lens is not easily beaten. I have to sweet in order to find a couple of lens that can beat this lens and they all are manually focus lens. I love this lens and it was the first lens that I introduced myself on FM.

31) Leica Apo-Tylet-R 280mm F4
This is a very sharp lens that can do it at infinity as well as close up. It will beat your Canon 200mm F1.8L with a 1.4X extender. Some folks have reported that the Canon 300mm F2.8L is as sharp as the Canon EF 200mm F1.8L + the 1.4 X extender and some claims the combination of the Canon EF 200mm F1.8L + 1.4 is a tad below the Canon 300mm F2.8L and some even claim the Canon EF 200mm F1.8L + 1.4 is a tad sharper than the Canon EF 300mm F2.8L. Thus, from the informations with the extend on the Canon 200mm F1.8L lead folks want to get the 200mm F1.8L and use the extender to replace the Canon 300mm F2.8L for felexibility. I have use the Canon 1.4x extender on the Canon EF 200mm F1.8L it is not as sharp as the Leica 280mm F4.0 or F2.8. I don't have the 300mm F2.8L to do the direct comparison against the Leica 280mm F4.0 but from the information that I have gather in combination of test and reported my conclusion is that the Leica 280mm F4.0 is a very sharp lens. This lens will work on the Canon 1 series camera with an adapter.

32) Leica Apo-Tylet-R 280mm F2.8
This lens is very sharp lens. The Leitz Apo-Tylet-R 280mm F2.8 is a tad sharper than the 280mm F4 at infinity focus but in close up to mid distance focusing the Leitz Apo-Tylet-R 280mm F4 is a tad sharper than the Leitz Apo-Telyt-R 280mm F2.8. Thus, they are a draw to me. The Leitz Apo-Tylet-R 280mm F4 is very small and can be handheld manually focus as compared to the bigger Leitz Apo-Telyt-R 280mm F2.8. This lens will work with the Canon 1 series DSLRs with an adapter.

33) Carl Zeiss Mirotar T* 500mm F4.5
This lens has no CA and the file is very clean. It will not work on the Canon 1 series DSLR without the extender. Thus, I really don't have the right data to report the sharpness of this lens but from the MTF chart it is supposedly a very sharp lens. The bokeh on the mirror lens is not as pleasing to some folks due to the donaut shape.

-Son

Edited by Pham Minh Son on Jun 13, 2005 at 11:26 AM GMT

Edited by Pham Minh Son on Jun 13, 2005 at 11:48 AM GMT

Edited by Pham Minh Son on Jun 13, 2005 at 12:19 PM GMT

Edited by Pham Minh Son on Jun 13, 2005 at 12:34 PM GMT

Edited by Pham Minh Son on Jun 14, 2005 at 09:13 AM GMT

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:11 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Son, it is a nice write up but you left out the Leica Elmarit 28mm f/2.8 ROM that I think is simply the best 28mm lens out there... . I let you test it out on Thursday, only if you feel like, since it is so close to the BIG Day....

Joshua

Edited by AGeoJO on Jun 13, 2005 at 08:26 AM GMT

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:23 AM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

First thanks for the info and I have only two questions

1. What happened to photocinematic? Was he the single version of Son?
2. Where can I get a 1DS Mark III

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:25 AM
stuuke
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Care to add your thoughts on Zeiss and Leica 100mm macro lenses?

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:27 AM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Dr. Ong, thanks I would love to have the chance to test the Leica 28mm F2.8. I need to see it's CA effect as well since it is a wide angle lens and folks would like to use it as lanscape often. This is where I feel the CA control is important but Leica fails in this department with their wide angle lens. I expected to be a sharp lens like the Leica Summicron-R 35mm F2.0.

Steve, yes the PhotoCinematic was the single version. This is the marry version.
I will send you one in 18 months.

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:30 AM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Steve,
thanks I knew i forgot something.
-Son

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:32 AM
UFO™
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

I predict that this thread will stay on the front page for quite some time.

Son,
Thanks for consolodating all of your views into one easy to read document.

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:45 AM
lurple
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Thanks for the extensive writeup, I have already filed it away for future reference!

Do you have any thoughts on the Contax Zeiss 18mm/f4 Distagon?

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:48 AM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Thank you Pete as you know I continue to strive to share with all FMers the information that I felt very important that will give FMers the leading edget to get the lens during the time of transition of digital age that affects so many companies and leading to some extinctions.

Dwight, as I mentioned the Distagon 18mm f4 is a very nice lens for full frame lens but we must becareful with this lens in that the opening of the lens is too small thus it does not require much to lead to problem with difraction when we stop down. It is a cheap alternative way for us in the wide angle side. The nice thing about Zeiss wide angle lens compare to the Leica is that the CA is well control.

-Son

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:54 AM
lurple
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Thanks Son. I guess I missed something, but I didn't see the 18mm f4, only the 18mm f2.8; but you have answered my question.

Jun 13, 2005 at 11:58 AM
rebel300
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Very nice -Son...

I certainly appreciate your information as it is reliable.
The best to you in your future sales of these fine lenses...everyone enjoys dealing with you, myself included.
The ReB

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:00 PM
sapro
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Son, nice write up! I love it Yeah, you forgot something, where is Leica 100 APO Macro (I knew this is one of your favorite), and Leica 90 APO ASPH?

My PM is sent regarding Zeiss 135/2.

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:01 PM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Jia, I will edit and add in the 90 apo as Kurt also inform me that I forgot and left it out. Also the 135mm F2 i will add in thanks.

-Son

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:04 PM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Dwight thanks I made a mistake I meant it was the F4 not f2.8 will edit now.

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:07 PM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Guy, that means alot to me what you mentioned. I came here and have made great friends and this is where you will see me retire. I can see in the future where we all watch each other grow in our quest for art via photography but also seeing each one of us grow personally.

I have learned alot from you in particular and many other FMers. Sometimes I even made friends when they disagree with me and those knows who they are.

-Son

Jun 13, 2005 at 12:37 PM
frontosa
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Son - you should change the thread to read "Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens - Part 1" just like what the Eagles has done on this most recent tour - "Farewell Tour - Part 1"!!

Thanks Son for all the info and insights. Good thing Joyce does not check on the bank account.

Gerry

Jun 13, 2005 at 01:10 PM
Pham Minh Son
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Gerry, the problem is that we don't know if there is a part II here unless Zeiss decided to come back. I will see you soon.

Jun 13, 2005 at 01:14 PM
crobinso
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Thanks very much. You should submit it to photo.net or something, with a little more of an intro into the 'craze' around using such lenses on EOS bodies.

Doesn't anyone use the CZ 85mm 2.8?

I was able to get someone to give me some info on dpreview, but nobody seems to use it here. Anyone have any experience with it? I can get it for cheap ($200 USD).

many thanks,

Chris

Jun 13, 2005 at 01:22 PM
hahr
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

very good write-up, son.   thank you for all of your years of testing, as well as mike, mark, jack, and guy.   it continues to be a very noble effort by all of you.

-erik

Jun 13, 2005 at 02:09 PM
Natron
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Final Thoughts on Exotic Lens Tests

Uhhhh... why not just say "EVERY lens I've ever touched is wonderful and a spectacular piece of equipment." ??

I skimmed quickly through the remaining writeups after seeing one after another simply stating the lens is amazing.

Jun 13, 2005 at 02:13 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.