Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              24      
       26              28       29       end

Archive 2011 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

nana kofi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.25 #1 · p.25 #1 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

For a fixed focal length that doesn't auto focus, I think it is too big, too heavy. I have decided I'm not going to buy it.

Apr 08, 2011 at 09:26 AM
jffielde
• •
p.25 #2 · p.25 #2 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

I've decided just the opposite. Mine arrives Monday!

Apr 08, 2011 at 09:39 AM
abhijeeth
• •
p.25 #3 · p.25 #3 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

Ajay C wrote:
Some more pictures from the new Distagon 1.4/35 ZE, taken tonite..

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/839374/50#9477549

Ajay, fantastic job! Some superb pics in your flickr set linked in that thread. The tree pic in particular is vintage Zeiss 3D.You are doing the lens justice !!

Pics are waaaaaaaaaaaay better than LC's pics and much more suitable for some of the adjectives he has used in his review.

Zeiss should send you and some of the other posters here sample lenses for review next time around instead of the usual sources !

Once again, nothing like seeing a rich variety of user pics! Thanks for putting these up, looking forward to some more whenever you get the time.

( Minor editing for grammar ! )

Edited on Apr 08, 2011 at 02:52 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2011 at 09:47 AM
trdonja

p.25 #4 · p.25 #4 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

abhijeeth wrote:
Ajay, fantastic job! Some superb pics in your flickr set linked in that thread. The tree pic in particular is vintage Zeiss 3D.You are doing the lens justice !!

Pics are waaaaaaaaaaaay better than LC's pics and much more suitable for some of the adjectives he has used in his review.

Zeiss should you and some of the other posters here samples lenses for review next time around instead of the usual sources !

Once again, nothing like seeing a rich variety of user pics! Thanks for putting these up, looking forward to some more whenever you get the time.

I definitely agree. LC doesn't seem to be a very good photographer or at least his style doesn't suit me well. I have almost decided I wouldn't buy the new Zeiss but I will definitely wait and reconsider. Non-LC photos look much more promising.

Apr 08, 2011 at 01:07 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.25 #5 · p.25 #5 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

trdonja wrote:
LC doesn't seem to be a very good photographer or at least his style doesn't suit me well. I have almost decided I wouldn't buy the new Zeiss but I will definitely wait and reconsider. Non-LC photos look much more promising.

I don't think that's fair to say because the shots aren't intended as art but rather to demonstrate how the optic functions in differing but unforgiving conditions, namely busy scenery with random detail in flat light, such as the forest scenes or portrait shots in failing light.

Apr 08, 2011 at 01:32 PM
joakim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.25 #6 · p.25 #6 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

jffielde wrote:
I've decided just the opposite. Mine arrives Monday!

Nice, I envy you

Has anyone in Europe received their lens or heard anything about a date?

Apr 08, 2011 at 02:14 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.25 #7 · p.25 #7 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

j.liam wrote:
I don't think that's fair to say because the shots aren't intended as art but rather to demonstrate how the optic functions in differing but unforgiving conditions, namely busy scenery with random detail in flat light, such as the forest scenes or portrait shots in failing light.

You do raise some valid points.

In a lens comparison setup, you want conditions to stay the same as much as possible. It makes it difficult to test outdoors [wind induced subject blur, changing light due to time of day or due to clouds etc]. Having said that, one must put the lens through its paces. (individually)

Some of the many factors involved with Zeiss lenses are color reproduction and contrast. So you do need to shoot colorful subjects and also some subjects in harsh lighting or at the edge of light to showcase what the lens can do.

In flat, low-contrast lighting, the colors/contrast gap between some Zeiss lenses and some CaNikon lenses can reduce. You don't get to see the full picture, so to speak.

Some readers have already written to LC to shoot more colorful subjects and he has posted that on his blog. He has responded to it partially but he really has a lot more choices closer to him than what he has listed

LC's work has some merit for sure and is certainly useful, but it stops short of giving you the complete picture.

I found Ajay's samples [apparently shot over a short period of time] covered a lot of ground and was very helpful to me to learn more about the lens [DoF, color reproduction, indoor/outdoor scenes, different subject material etc].

Apr 08, 2011 at 03:10 PM
magiclight
• •
p.25 #8 · p.25 #8 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

LC's strengths lie in his review. I dont see him as a guy who creates great images. And to be fair he sells himself as a guy who does technical reviews.

Apr 08, 2011 at 03:37 PM
trdonja

p.25 #9 · p.25 #9 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

@ j.liam, magiclight

I am not talking only about the reviews but his overall style even when is not doing the reviews. It's just not something I would put on my wall but I realize it's a subjective matter.

I agree with what LC's strengths are and he is very good at what he is doing. However I also think that when you have a lens like this, only "artistic" presentation can complete a review. People will not be buying this lens because of superb correction, top resolution, fast focus or anything else that pixel/tech freaks usually buy their lenses for.

I want to see what can be done with this lens and I will probably have to wait for more FM-ers to get their lenses for that. LC can't persuade me to buy this lens, but there are many people on this forum who can.

Apr 08, 2011 at 04:29 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.25 #10 · p.25 #10 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

joakim wrote:
Nice, I envy you

Has anyone in Europe received their lens or heard anything about a date?

Amazon Germany had it a few days ago. Also some shops in Germany

Apr 09, 2011 at 01:38 AM
Ajay C
• • •
p.25 #11 · p.25 #11 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

I got mine from Germany, from a "friend" in Oberkochen though

The word Stateside is that it is heavily pre-ordered and might be a while before orders are filled. Not sure, how true that is.

Thanks everyone for your comments..

I shot some more tonite.. Continues to amaze me, it is not sharp wide open, but makes up a lot in rendition.

Lasse Eriksson wrote:
Amazon Germany had it a few days ago. Also some shops in Germany

Apr 09, 2011 at 01:42 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.25 #12 · p.25 #12 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

abhijeeth wrote:
Some of the many factors involved with Zeiss lenses are color reproduction and contrast. So you do need to shoot colorful subjects and also some subjects in harsh lighting or at the edge of light to showcase what the lens can do.

In flat, low-contrast lighting, the colors/contrast gap between some Zeiss lenses and some CaNikon lenses can reduce. You don't get to see the full picture, so to speak.

I don't totally agree with that. Saturated colors in high contrast scenes can reduce the gap between Zeiss and others as well, and in scenes with relatively flat lighting the higher microcontrast/local contrast of Zeiss can be more apparent (in comparison to other manufacturer's lenses).

Apr 09, 2011 at 06:52 AM
thminhduc

p.25 #13 · p.25 #13 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

Has anyone touched the ZF .2 version yet?

Apr 09, 2011 at 06:56 AM
auriga

p.25 #14 · p.25 #14 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

I had the old Contax 35mm 1.4 on 5D and the spherical aberration problem was mainly towards the infinite ... I would buy the new zeiss but I'm afraid It could have the same defect, what do you think? From the tests of Lloyd C. the new disagon shows clearly this "defect" , it seems like a veil on the photos at full aperture...
This is not good...can we buy

Apr 09, 2011 at 07:18 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.25 #15 · p.25 #15 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

auriga wrote:
I had the old Contax 35mm 1.4 on 5D and the spherical aberration problem was mainly towards the infinite ... I would buy the new zeiss but I'm afraid It could have the same defect, what do you think? From the tests of Lloyd C. the new disagon shows clearly this "defect" , it seems like a veil on the photos at full aperture...
This is not good...can we buy

The old lens does not have the uncorrected spherical aberration like the new 35/1.4 which has the veiling haze wide open.The old lens requires an adapter with proper thickness or you will not get infinity focus.I had that problem till I switched adapters.I use mine on my 1DS3 without mirror hang.

Apr 09, 2011 at 10:01 AM
auriga

p.25 #16 · p.25 #16 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

do you use the old one or the new zeiss?i don't understand...so you think the new zeiss doesn't suffer from spherical aberration? So what's the veling haze on tests? thanks

Apr 09, 2011 at 10:13 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.25 #17 · p.25 #17 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

The NEW one has demonstrable veiling flare/ haze from uncorrected spherical aberrations from 1.4-2.8; they are apparently not corrected for other attributes that the designers wanted to emphasize; ? bokeh. The older C/Y version (never shot with it, just evaluated the images) appears to have far less haze as a result of SA when shot wide-open. And is clearly sharper at those apertures as well.

Apr 09, 2011 at 10:25 AM
auriga

p.25 #18 · p.25 #18 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

do not agree with the sharpness of the contax ... I had one and I had to sell it out...it had trouble focusing on infinity and to 1.4 was not so clear .... I am afraid that the new Zeiss is same as the old.
However, the 3D effect is fantastic, and the new has it.
Do you recommend me the Canon 35 1.4?I have to be sure about sharpness...but more sharpness i'm afraid less bokeh, do you think?
Thanks

Apr 09, 2011 at 10:35 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.25 #19 · p.25 #19 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

auriga wrote:
do not agree with the sharpness of the contax ... I had one and I had to sell it out...it had trouble focusing on infinity and to 1.4 was not so clear .... I am afraid that the new Zeiss is same as the old.
However, the 3D effect is fantastic, and the new has it.
Do you recommend me the Canon 35 1.4?I have to be sure about sharpness...but more sharpness i'm afraid less bokeh, do you think?
Thanks

Your adapter was probably too thick which prevented you from getting good infinity sharpness at f1.4.The old 35 has no veiling haze like the new one and has a very different drawing style compared to the new one. I recommend renting the new one before buying to see if you like it.

Apr 09, 2011 at 11:04 AM
drhee39
• •
p.25 #20 · p.25 #20 · Zeiss ZE/ZF.2 35mm f/1.4 (according to Roger Cicala/lens rentals.com)

Nice samples Ajay! The 3D is still there, though for the construction bin image I think the 35/2 would be better suited wide open.

Apr 09, 2011 at 11:23 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.