Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2011 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

ZoneV
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

3D without small DOF - Zeiss 85/1.4 (C/Y) AEJ @ ~ 5.6
Canon EOS 5D

http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slides/Kalenderbild-13.jpg

Feb 24, 2011 at 03:03 PM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

AhamB wrote:
^^^ Nice! Except for the sheep cut off at the left border (perhaps better to clone out).

"clone out the sheep" haha good one

Feb 24, 2011 at 05:29 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

Haha, I didn't intend any pun there.

Feb 24, 2011 at 05:37 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

dasrocket wrote:
"clone out the sheep" haha good one

Very clever ...

Feb 24, 2011 at 06:20 PM
CampX
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

To my un-trained eye, I am finding that my Helios 44M-6 has a certain POP to it. It is razor sharp. When my 400mm F5.6L isn't on my 7D, there is a very good chance the Helios is there for everything else......

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5264/5626793934_24d1141580_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5029/5626207869_15e21eaed6_b.jpg

Apr 17, 2011 at 06:16 AM
Anden
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

This is a good example of 3D without blur.

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

This is rather typical - there is a broad agreement on what '3D' is in principle but when it comes to actual pictures there is usually total disagreement. There are two images in this thread that I personally think show 3D rendering - and it's Anden's shot above and Makten's second shot on the previous page. Possible candidates are also Ataboy's portrait and Makten's first shot.

Here are two shots with the Zeiss 50/1.4 Planar explicitly taken with the purpose of testing the 3D effect. The first one was shot at f/1.4 and the second one at f/5.6.

http://peltarion.eu/img/zeiss/zeiss50-169.jpg

http://peltarion.eu/img/zeiss/zeiss50-170.jpg

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:25 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

edk should post his zeiss135/1.8 pics.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

I haven't done any case studies on the matter or scientific mumbo jumbo, but to me, on 3-D-ness, it's pretty easy.

1) You need an appropriate subject, subject-to-camera distance, etc. I believe the whole 3-D aspect of an image is because it roughly estimates what our eyes and brain would 'render' were we that close (or far away) from the scene.

2) The proper amount of background blur. Too much and it's going to look fake, look digital, look like something we wouldn't see. Not enough, and you're not going to get a good sense of depth. Plus, it's got to be good blur - lots of rough bokeh edges, cat eye effects, etc. are going to jar the viewer and remind them it's not real.

3) Micro-contrast - specifically, good contrast (including edge contrast) in the subject, because our eyes naturally see more detail and contrast up close than far away. This is also going to help separate the foreground objects from things behind it.

4) The right photo to begin with - some just work more than others. For instance, I've not yet ever seen a strongly backlit 3-D looking photo. Most everything that I see as 3-Dy is side-lit or with diffused light.

Apr 17, 2011 at 02:20 PM
espressogeek
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

I've used a Zeiss 60/3.5 and 180/4 on a Hasselblad with a P21 and that setup had some crazy 3d pop to it.

Apr 17, 2011 at 02:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

I don't know about the most, but after recently testing a Leica R Summicron 50, I was surprised at the level of 3D quality that lens exhibits around F4. It seems to have high micro-contrast yet at the same time exhibits tonal and color subtlety. I think the complexity of this combination contributes to the 3D effect. Anyway, surprised by the performance of this lens at F4 -and beyond - though I don't find it that impressive wide open.

Apr 17, 2011 at 02:38 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
.... I was surprised at the level of 3D quality that lens exhibits around F4. It seems to have high micro-contrast yet at the same time exhibits tonal and color subtlety. I think the complexity of this combination contributes to the 3D effect....

Noticed the identical qualities in the 28 R Elmarit v.2 but @ f/2.8 as well.

Apr 17, 2011 at 02:42 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

So, reading through this thread and admiring the images - I think I understand that 3D is a function of super-sharpness and super-micro contrast (which is delivered via good PP technique into web-sized images found here).

Background blur (preferably of the gaussian type) together with a short DOF helps, but is not the key.

So, being an engineer-type-of-person and a believer in the natural sciences I also think I understand that the first factor (sharpness) is reasonably measured by/via MTF-curves - ie a function of resolution. But the second one, micro contrast, is there a measure for that?

Apr 17, 2011 at 02:43 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

It's also a function, I believe, of the transition from in-focus to OOF. If its quick and the OOF objects in the immediate vicinity are rendered with varying degrees of blur, the 3D illusion is enhanced.

Edited on Apr 17, 2011 at 03:04 PM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2011 at 03:01 PM
Sp12
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

You're looking for accutance and resolution.

Apr 17, 2011 at 03:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

j.liam wrote:
Noticed the identical qualities in the 28 R Elmarit v.2 but @ f/2.8 as well.

Yep, I also saw it with that lens in the brief time I owned it.

Apr 17, 2011 at 03:55 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

wfrank wrote... I also think I understand that the first factor (sharpness) is reasonably measured by/via MTF-curves - ie a function of resolution.

MTF is part of the equation, but start throwing in field curvature in lenses and then the nature of the subject, and MTF might as well go out the window.

MTF is good for planar subjects and can get you in the ballpark of "sharpness" but is by no means the whole story.

---- Sheesh, I'm starting to sound like a Zeiss zealot and I don't even have my 35/2 in yet

Apr 17, 2011 at 03:59 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yep, I also saw it with that lens in the brief time I owned it.

In this characteristic, it is very different than the Nikkor 28/2 I own. I also prefer it to the ZF 28/2 I briefly owned. Shame that you sold yours...

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:01 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

j.liam wrote:
In this characteristic, it is very different than the Nikkor 28/2 I own. I also prefer it to the ZF 28/2 I briefly owned. Shame that you sold yours...

The one I received had a very rough spot in the focusing just before infinity so I had to return it for a refund. At the moment I'm "making do" with a CY 28 2.8 which performs extremely well stopped down but I know the Leica is a better lens (as it should be for what they go for!).

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:28 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · which lens has the most 3D POP?

Tariq Gibran wrote:
The one I received had a very rough spot in the focusing just before infinity so I had to return it for a refund. At the moment I'm "making do" with a CY 28 2.8 which performs extremely well stopped down but I know the Leica is a better lens (as it should be for what they go for!).

I am told by a local Leica dealer in NYC that of late, videographers and cinematographers have been snapping up the very best of Leica R's, hence the recent rarity and astronomical prices. And to no small extent, because of the 3D-rendering characteristics.

Apr 17, 2011 at 04:38 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password