Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              94      
       96              279       280       end

Archive 2017 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.95 #1 · p.95 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

zhangyue wrote:
Very interested in what you will find. Though 35lux is out of my price range, but who knows? Zeiss is just two big for my standard prime lens.

leitax the c/y 35/1.4. i believe it is smaller than either and pretty awesome, though not as good as the new Z* for landscape.

naturephoto1 wrote:
I have small hands and have a Canon adapter for R lenses (came with the PC lens). I could try R lenses on a Canon body when I try the Fuji cameras. I tried to handle the 5D MKIII with Canon lenses at Photo Plus in October and I found that the size of the camera was a bit tough for me to hold (not only do I have small hands but I have the remnants of 2 broken wrists from a bicycle and car accident in 1993). I know that Art Wolfe had suggested that I get one of
...Show more

the 5D classic isn't noticeably smaller than the 5DmkIII, so it probably won't fit you either. i believe the 6D is a bit smaller, but i doubt it's really noticeable. the only issue with manual focusing lenses on canon screens is that some cameras will need to have the screens shimmed for correct focus (simple to do). one also needs to choose the appropriate screen for canon – the ultra precision matte if you're going to be using lenses faster than f/2.8 a lot or the stock screen if you're going to use a lot of longer telephotos.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:47 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.95 #2 · p.95 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

sebboh wrote:
leitax the c/y 35/1.4. i believe it is smaller than either and pretty awesome, though not as good as the new Z* for landscape.

the 5D classic isn't noticeably smaller than the 5DmkIII, so it probably won't fit you either. i believe the 6D is a bit smaller, but i doubt it's really noticeable. the only issue with manual focusing lenses on canon screens is that some cameras will need to have the screens shimmed for correct focus (simple to do). one also needs to choose the appropriate screen for canon – the ultra precision matte if you're going to
...Show more

Thanks. When I spoke to the Canon Reps at PhotoPlus they indicated that the neither the 5D MKIII nor the 6D had interchangeable screens. Maybe they are incorrect, but they indicated that I would need their Canon EOS-1D X to get a camera with interchange the screens. Maybe the 5D MKIII aand the 6D need to be shipped to Canon to change the screens. But, that does not give me much confidence if I would need to shim the screens for a non replaceable screen or the Canon Reps didn't know what they are talking about. But...

Rich

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.95 #3 · p.95 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

naturephoto1 wrote:
Thanks. When I spoke to the Canon Reps at PhotoPlus they indicated that the neither the 5D MKIII nor the 6D had interchangeable screens. Maybe they are incorrect, but they indicated that I would need their Canon EOS-1D X to get a camera with interchange the screens. Maybe the 5D MKIII aand the 6D need to be shipped to Canon to change the screens. But, that does not give me much confidence if I would need to shim the screens for a non replaceable screen or the Canon Reps didn't know what they are talking about. But...

Rich

ah, yes. i had forgotten the latest canons have gotten rid of the user replaceable screens. the 5D and 5DII on the other hand do have user replaceable screens.

it really is to bad that nobody makes a reasonable sized FF camera other than leica.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:39 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.95 #4 · p.95 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

sebboh wrote:
ah, yes. i had forgotten the latest canons have gotten rid of the user replaceable screens. the 5D and 5DII on the other hand do have user replaceable screens.

it really is to bad that nobody makes a reasonable sized FF camera other than leica.

Yes, it is too bad. I think that that is part of the reason that my Sales Rep has so heavily recommended either of the FujiFilm Cameras at the moment because of their performance and on sensor results. I think that both he and I are thinking that to use one of these cameras at least as a stop point for now and to get a FF body when they become available for a more affordable price than the Leica M with all of the extra parts that I would need. This could become a second body when I purchase a FF body. In the case of the FujiFilm X-E1 the camera is coming in at basically $1,000 for an APS C 16.3 megapixel camera without an aliasing filter. If I find it to be my preference over the FujiFilm X Pro1, I save a substantial amount of money for a current body and the only other parts that I would need for the time being would be the Novoflex Adapter and 2 extra batteries. This is part of what makes this option so inviting. And my initial handling of the camera at PhotoPlus was quite positive. By comparison to everything but the NEX cameras it was small. It also felt good in my hands, and the controls made sense more like a manual focus camera.

Rich

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:51 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.95 #5 · p.95 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

naturephoto1 wrote:
Yes, it is too bad. I think that that is part of the reason that my Sales Rep has so heavily recommended either of the FujiFilm Cameras at the moment because of their performance and on sensor results. I think that both he and I are thinking that to use one of these cameras at least as a stop point for now and to get a FF body when they become available for a more affordable price than the Leica M with all of the extra parts that I would need. This could become a second body when I purchase
...Show more

yeah, i would be very tempted by that fuji if i didn't already have a nex-7. as it is i'll either get an rx1 or wait for somebody to come out with a FF mirrorless.

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:14 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.95 #6 · p.95 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

sebboh wrote:

Will it fit Nikon? Leitax website seems no info for 35mm 1.4.

Carstenw, I absolutely love ZF.2, but the problem is the size. I can't find many samples of 35lux. I like your HDR series shots from it, but it is hard to judge performance from those, especially for WO/portrait. it looks like a very rare lens, as price suggested.

US 2nd price is approaching $3500. Crazy!

Nov 18, 2012 at 07:31 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.95 #7 · p.95 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I received Contax III with 5cm f1.5 Sonnar yesterday, both made in 1937! Will need to clean the aperture blades from oil and clean the camera a little bit, but quite happy already. Saw a Leica 28mm f2 sold for £1500 today, for a moment it seemed a reasonable amount of money - then I got back down on earth.

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:12 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.95 #8 · p.95 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

zhangyue wrote:

Carstenw, I absolutely love ZF.2, but the problem is the size. I can't find many samples of 35lux. I like your HDR series shots from it, but it is hard to judge performance from those, especially for WO/portrait. it looks like a very rare lens, as price suggested.

kinda – you have to leitax it to m42 mount, get a really thin m42 to f-mount adapter, and then retune the lenses infinity focus. if it were me i would try just making the m42 to f-mount adapter into a new mount for the lens.

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:47 PM
teraflame
• •
p.95 #9 · p.95 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Where does one find decent deals on old lenses? Prices are so inflated on ebay.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.95 #10 · p.95 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

On eBay, with more patience Or on more local photo forums.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:56 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.95 #11 · p.95 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

zhangyue wrote:

I don't think the Contax 35/1.4 will fit a Nikon mount, but I haven't tried.

Once I get both, I will shoot with both over a period of time, including of course many shots without HDR.

$3500 does sound a bit crazy. Maybe I will sell mine in the States Here it is more like 1600 (a bit beat up) to 2200 (nearly new, like mine). I bumped the hood once, and so it is slightly out of round. Knowing Leica buyers I probably lost 200 Euro in that moment

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:58 AM
lenticular11
• • •
p.95 #12 · p.95 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

A Kiev 4 and Jupiter-8 (50/1.2) for US$45 + postage!

Haven't got it yet, but intending to put it to use as my first practical ranagefinder. I also have a FED1c but haven't yet tried loading it with film!

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:49 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.95 #13 · p.95 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

lenticular11 wrote:

Haven't got it yet, but intending to put it to use as my first practical ranagefinder. I also have a FED1c but haven't yet tried loading it with film!

hope you won't be too disappointed to discover that the jupiter-8 is actually only a 50/2.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:01 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.95 #14 · p.95 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4 (for the coming X-E1). I will be interested to see how focussing is on this body. I got a decent one from ebay, and I thought the price was OK ($78).

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:11 PM
timballic
• • •
p.95 #15 · p.95 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Canon FD TS 35mm F3.5 on it's way to me, now I need to get that EdMika adapter to use it with!

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.95 #16 · p.95 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Well, the Zeiss ZF.2 35/1.4 is a keeper. Just waiting for that 85 now...

Nov 20, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.95 #17 · p.95 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

lenticular11 wrote:

I have a box full of ussr cameras, have no strengths to go through them. Results I have seen are quite good - no wonder as they were copies of Zeiss and Leica. On the other hand, FED1 sounds interesting, must be really old!

Nov 20, 2012 at 07:44 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.95 #18 · p.95 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Found an interesting site about the FED1:

http://sovietcamera.110mb.com/fed1/

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:09 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.95 #19 · p.95 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

ML 42-75/3.5-4.5 just thought I'd give it a whirl.

Also picked up a Gorillapod micro 800 tripod
http://www.pictureline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/micro800.jpg
http://www.pictureline.com/blog/joby-unveils-three-innovative-new-camera-tripods/

http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au/images/joby_gorillapod_micro_800_folded.jpg
http://s5.static-iceb.org/ts/media/catalog/product/cache/16/image/750x542/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/j/o/joby-gorillapod-micro-800-top.jpg
http://reefphoto.com/shop/images/job.GP20-01AM_2.jpg

Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 03:02 AM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:57 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.95 #20 · p.95 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

SMC Pentax M 100/4 Macro-so tiny and compact short tele.

Minolta MD Rokkor 50/3.5+ext.tube-I can not refuse any mint 50mm lens with close up facility .It is smaller and nicer than my Canon FD SSC 50/3.5 macro - also a great performer.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:01 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.