Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              86      
       88              201       202       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.87 #1 · p.87 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Bifurcator wrote:
How would describe the 35/2 - in your words?

Makten wrote:
Brutal, biting and absolutely unforgiving. The very high local contrast makes everything "pop", but at the price of harsh bokeh in some situations (everything except closeups or stopped down a fair bit). The focus throw is very short and it's really, really difficult to focus beyond ~2-3 meters.

Here's a good example on Nikon D700:

http://www.zeissimages.com/gallery/674/U674I1304890557.SEQ.1.jpg

My impressions of the 35/1.4 is quite different. It gives more detail stopped down but not the same local contrast. The bokeh is much nicer and stays smooth at distance, just like the 50/1.4 Planar, and I think it will suit me perfect because of that. No
...Show more
Thanks Mak! Nice description and very appreciated! Sounds great for landscapes!

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.87 #2 · p.87 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Bifurcator wrote:
Nice 6x9 !!! Looks like fun!

more fun than a tlr or a hassy for me.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:36 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.87 #3 · p.87 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I bought ZA24 and Sony 50/1.8 (both of them are the 2nd time around) after deciding to stay with Sony NEX for a while more. So far, I am enjoying ZA24 this time around, perhaps because my expectations are set accordingly and I am trying to shoot in a way that accentuates it's strengths.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.87 #4 · p.87 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Found today a Taylor Hobson 6inch f/2.8 Cooke Copying lens :-)
This was the major find. A (ISCO) Berolina 135mm f/2.8 (with haze or even delamination inside) and a Helios 44M are the further lenses I bought today.

The T&H lens is with metal lens caps with wrinkle finish :-)
Heavy industrial build quality (1390 g), no helicoid but iris. Image quality on EOS 5D good in first tests ranging ~ M1:5 to M1:2. But sometimes it have hotspots :-/
Probably this could be my alternative longer fast macro lens :-)

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.87 #5 · p.87 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Bought a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 which I haven't yet had the chance to really use. Pretty excited though

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:06 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.87 #6 · p.87 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

it's not really new, but i consolidated two of my lenses into one frankenlens today after being inspired by m-a-x:

that is the contax g 45mm f/2 in the body and helicoid of an auto-rokkor 58mm f/1.4.

the focus feel is wonderful now and goes from infinity to roughly 1ft. the lens is a bit less compact than it used to be though. i'm not sure if i'll keep it in this configuration or try to put it in a smaller lens (or maybe the rokkor macro for serious closeup ability). if i keep it in this lens i'll probably add the contax filter ring and name plate to the front and try to make the aperture readings match actual aperture...

Aug 27, 2012 at 03:24 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.87 #7 · p.87 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

nice work sebboh. the g adapter is clunky. is the rangefinder coupled?

I need my g90 converted to M.

Aug 27, 2012 at 03:53 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.87 #8 · p.87 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Very nice!

and you used a Leica M-NEX adapter?

Aug 27, 2012 at 03:57 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.87 #9 · p.87 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

+1
Did you replace the Rokkor mount with a LSM to M adapter?

Please tell me you took pictures....

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:48 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.87 #10 · p.87 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

LightShow wrote:
+1
Did you replace the Rokkor mount with a LSM to M adapter?

Please tell me you took pictures....

it's not rangefinder coupled, i don't have the equipment for that (or a rangefinder to use/calibrate it on). i just used a cheap m-mount to NEX adapter for the actual mount.

no pictures of the process. it actually turned out to be non-destructive of both lenses (though the rokkor is now missing key parts) except that i put four new holes in the mount base of the rokkor. when i decide for sure to keep it in this form i'll photograph it's construction process.

Aug 27, 2012 at 05:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LightShow
• • • • •
p.87 #11 · p.87 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Sounds interesting... so if you want to mount it to an EOS-M you would have to re do the mount?
Re. the aperture readings, as long as you can set the aperture anywhere in it's range, I wouldn't worry too much about actual values, but that's just me.

Aug 27, 2012 at 05:22 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.87 #12 · p.87 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

LightShow wrote:
Sounds interesting...
Re. the aperture readings, as long as you can set the aperture anywhere in it's range, I wouldn't worry too much about actual values, but that's just me.

i thought that at first too, but this is a lens where i often think about diffraction and what trade-offs to make in that regard. it's much harder to do that if i can't tell whether i'm at f/4 or f/8 (well, i still can but it's a pain).

Aug 27, 2012 at 05:24 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.87 #13 · p.87 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

That's awesome, Derek. But even if you try to go a different way, I wouldn't undo it. I'm thinking you could probably sell that to someone who wants a 45 but hates the G adapters and make enough money to replace both lenses and bank some profit. You should probably tune up the aperture ring for accuracy and do something with the name-plate ring, but I'm thinking there's probably a healthy market for something like that, as revered as the 45 is and as hated as the adapters are by some. Just a thought.

My latest confession to GAS is a set of Tiffen series VII drop-in color filters. The set included HT Red and Green, Yellow 2, Orange, and Blue for $15.

Finding this set led me to a question I'm hoping one of you fellow gear-heads can answer. I see drop in circ-pols but I'm wondering how they're mounted. Is there an orientation mark you need to keep in the 12 o'clock position?

Aug 27, 2012 at 05:37 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.87 #14 · p.87 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

LightShow wrote:
so if you want to mount it to an EOS-M you would have to re do the mount?

yeah, but that would take about 5 minutes. there is lots of wiggle room in mount distance and i just need to put four holes in the new mount and i'm done. also, i'm certainly not expecting a stunning eos-m camera in the immediate future.

freaklikeme wrote:
That's awesome, Derek. But even if you try to go a different way, I wouldn't undo it. I'm thinking you could probably sell that to someone who wants a 45 but hates the G adapters and make enough money to replace both lenses and bank some profit. You should probably tune up the aperture ring for accuracy and do something with the name-plate ring, but I'm thinking there's probably a healthy market for something like that, as revered as the 45 is and as hated as the adapters are by some. Just a thought.

thanks, if i find a set up i like better i'll be sure to offer this one sale. the conversion is easy enough (with proper tools), i could probably offer this conversion as a service for people as well, can't imagine the market is to big though. not sure how available the donnor lens is either.

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:30 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.87 #15 · p.87 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

+fantastic!
how is mfd now?

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:45 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.87 #16 · p.87 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

rsrsrs wrote:
+fantastic!
how is mfd now?

~.3m/1ft

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:52 AM
crazeazn
• • •
p.87 #17 · p.87 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

i love these franken lenses haha

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:07 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.87 #18 · p.87 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

So the NEX adapters for Contax G glass don't go to infinity, nor close focus?
I'm confused...
I was planing to get an NEX7 and cheap adapters, and this is one of the lenses I was looking at.

sebboh wrote:
contax g 45mm f/2 in the body and helicoid of an auto-rokkor 58mm f/1.4..

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:45 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.87 #19 · p.87 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

buggz2k wrote:
So the NEX adapters for Contax G glass don't go to infinity, nor close focus?
I'm confused...
I was planing to get an NEX7 and cheap adapters, and this is one of the lenses I was looking at.

No, the problem with using the G lenses is that there is no way on the lens itself to manually focus it. Instead, there's a small interface in the lens that turns and is geared to adjust the focus. Since that interface would normally link with the G camera, it has to instead interface with a receptacle on the adapter and you have to turn the adapter to focus. Some adapters work well (enough) and some don't. Some shooters hate the experience so much, they don't use the lenses. But the adapters allow for the lenses full infinity to MFD focus. Derek's allows for closer than MFD focusing (.3M instead of .5) because the travel of the 58's helicoid is longer than that of the 45's.

Aug 27, 2012 at 05:39 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.87 #20 · p.87 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

freaklikeme wrote:
No, the problem with using the G lenses is that there is no way on the lens itself to manually focus it. Instead, there's a small interface in the lens that turns and is geared to adjust the focus. Since that interface would normally link with the G camera, it has to instead interface with a receptacle on the adapter and you have to turn the adapter to focus. Some adapters work well (enough) and some don't. Some shooters hate the experience so much, they don't use the lenses. But the adapters allow for the lenses full infinity to MFD
...Show more

yup, that's a good summary. i never really had much trouble focusing with the on adapter focus ring, but was still always annoyed by it because it turned the wrong direction (the nikon/pentax direction) and my hand didn't automatically fall to it. this solves both problems and gives me a more precise nicer feeling focus ring.

Aug 27, 2012 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password