Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              115      
       117              188       189       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Makten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.116 #1 · p.116 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Gary Clennan wrote:
Wish I could read swedish....

Try google translate.

Does that lens truly live up to all the hype Martin?

For being such an old lens, yes. By modern standards, definitely not. It's sharp in the middle at f/1.2 but the borders are awful at all apertures. I'd say that the Sigma 50/1.4 is an overall better lens if you want that type of bokeh.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.116 #2 · p.116 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I am not sure the Sigma has the same ability to isolate. Note: I own the Sigma but have never tried the Noct-Nikkor. The Sigma is great, but it doesn't have pop.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.116 #3 · p.116 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

carstenw wrote:
I am not sure the Sigma has the same ability to isolate. Note: I own the Sigma but have never tried the Noct-Nikkor. The Sigma is great, but it doesn't have pop.

There ain't much "pop" with the Noct either. But of course the isolation is greater with the longer FL and larger aperture.

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.116 #4 · p.116 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Yea I regreted that you dont write in English too. Seemed like interesting reading and Google translate is bit horrible (tho usable).

Nice lens, but doesnt seem to be worth that price tag.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:09 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.116 #5 · p.116 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Makten wrote:
Try google translate.

For being such an old lens, yes. By modern standards, definitely not. It's sharp in the middle at f/1.2 but the borders are awful at all apertures. I'd say that the Sigma 50/1.4 is an overall better lens if you want that type of bokeh.

The Noct Nikkor designed to control coma and this is presumably at odds with edge resolution. If you want to see what the Noct is all about just compare it to a similar speed lens at night with lots of bright (specular) light sources in the frame. It doesn't seem to be a very useful general purpose or scenic lens however. There's demo here.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:54 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.116 #6 · p.116 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Has an interesting ring to it... T&S NIK-NEX

Mike

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.116 #7 · p.116 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Very interesting. Curious how good it will work..

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:54 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.116 #8 · p.116 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I posted some images from yesterday in the Nex thread

So far it works just like the Mirex which it's either licensed or reverse engineered from so;
1) It's a little fiddly (in particular the tilt holding screw is short and with gloves you mash up against the flange)
2) No gears (ie loosen, slide, tighten)
3) The tilt function makes the lens fall, not rotate about the optic, so at or near 10mm on both the 21 and 25 distagons the hood came into view. On the14mm Rokinon it was only 8mm.
4) Lots-a-lube (ie seemed very wet where I exposed the sliding parts as I moved to a full extension). I wiped all the excess off and don't plan to keep a lens attached to it.
5) Shift and tilt are fixed WRT each other
6) Tilt is only one way (shift is both ways), eg if you want to tilt to left and you last used it to right you need to rotate the lens 180

Having said that it does what it needs to do. Everything I took yesterday was even hand held

Mike

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:50 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.116 #9 · p.116 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

mcbroomf wrote:
6) Tilt is only one way (shift is both ways), eg if you want to tilt to left and you last used it to right you need to rotate the lens 180...

Are you able to rotate the mount so that tilt is at the exact angle where you want it or is it only straight up/down?

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:01 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.116 #10 · p.116 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Oh yes that what I meant by rotating it 180 if you wanted to tilt from left on one image to right on the next (or up/down, or any 45/random degree angle). In fact you can rotate it a full 360 not just 180. But Canon TS lenses for example can be tilted +/- so they are a little less fiddly.
Also I found myself continuously pressing the video button as I was grasping the body to hold it while I turned the lens. I must have recorded more video yesterday than during the whole time I've owned the camera..... I'll rid myself of that habit though, or glue an o-ring over the button

And just a reminder (for those familiar with it) this is just the same as the Mirex for medium format lenses on Canon

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

buggz2k
• • •
p.116 #11 · p.116 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I am still wanting a Mirex.
I should just go ahead and order it all ready...

mcbroomf wrote:
And just a reminder (for those familiar with it) this is just the same as the Mirex for medium format lenses on Canon

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:32 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.116 #12 · p.116 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

mcbroomf wrote:
Oh yes that what I meant by rotating it 180 if you wanted to tilt from left on one image to right on the next (or up/down, or any 45/random degree angle). In fact you can rotate it a full 360 not just 180. But Canon TS lenses for example can be tilted +/- so they are a little less fiddly.
Also I found myself continuously pressing the video button as I was grasping the body to hold it while I turned the lens. I must have recorded more video yesterday than during the whole time I've owned the camera.....
...Show more

That sounds good. If I had an NEX I'd have no hesitation in buying one of these adapters. It sounds like it's almost identical to the Mirex.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:29 PM
MRosth

p.116 #13 · p.116 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Added 28/2.0 and 50/1.4 to my collection

Contax Collection. 28/35/50/85mm by MRosth, on Flickr

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.116 #14 · p.116 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Nice. Too bad they came with filters glued on.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:31 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.116 #15 · p.116 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

just bought a nFD 50 1,4 for 39 euro for my nex7.
just crazy if i compare the prize to my SEL 35/1,8 ...
r

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:14 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.116 #16 · p.116 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

jcolwell wrote:
Nice. Too bad they came with filters glued on.

Was thinking the same thing.

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:32 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.116 #17 · p.116 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Came today: Fuji 18-55mm f/2.8-4. Wonderfully well built, though the hood is a tad loose when locked in place (It's not going to fall off, it just rattles once it's clicked into place. Annoying).

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:53 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.116 #18 · p.116 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Looks nice, Jordan. I'll be interested to read about your experience with it.

P.S. can you say "Gaffer's tape"?

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:44 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.116 #19 · p.116 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

I just checked another lens off my 'dream list'. Tokina 90 AT-X purchased last night.

The last lens I've lusted after for a long while is the Rokkor 58/1.2. Had it briefly. Loved it. Want it back.

I also loved my C/Y 35-70, but it's an odd lens on the NEX. I'd consider purchasing it again should a FF mirorrless arrive.

BOKINA!

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.116 #20 · p.116 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

jcolwell wrote:
Looks nice, Jordan. I'll be interested to read about your experience with it.

P.S. can you say "Gaffer's tape"?

You know...you first said that, and I laughed....then thought about it. And, that'll work beautifully. My gaffer's tape is at home somewhere, but for the time being, I put two layers of scotch tape in tiny slivers on the back of the hood (the part that contacts the hood bayonet on the rear) to push it slightly forward. Because this avoids the meshing of the hood and bayonet, since it's on the back, the tape should stay put, and...it works. No more rattle. The scotch tape doesn't look as good, so I'm going to cut a piece of gaffer's tape to fit perfectly, and it should blend very well.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password