Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              105      
       107              186       187       end

What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

LightShow
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.106 #1 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Details on conversion?

Dec 26, 2012 at 06:40 PM
m-a-x
• •
p.106 #2 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

It is a comparatively easy process.
I used the cheapest M42-NEX adapter from ebay. It needs a cut and five sunk holes.
The sunk holes are the most difficult step since they align very close to the NEX mount (they are not nicely located in the middle of the flange). Once this part is finished, the mount can simply be exchanged, using longer screws. There is no need to fiddle with the aperture or other parts. The conversion is reversible.
The lenses do not show up frequently, though.

Dec 26, 2012 at 07:29 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.106 #3 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Mamiya RZ67 Professional with WLF. I just need a film back and I am good to go with my previously bought 127mm.

Dec 26, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.106 #4 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Carstenw, good choice on the RZ, that's a super versatile camera. And lenses and everything for it are dirt cheap compared to when new. Try the 110 also, it's the fastest , lightest lens for that , and great bokeh and sharpness too. Can't go wrong with the 65L/A either.

Dec 29, 2012 at 04:36 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.106 #5 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Yes, I am looking forward to playing with 6x7 a bit, and getting a bit back into film. These bodies and lenses are so cheap now, and if you wait for real auctions and avoid Buy Now offers, even cheaper. There is almost no reason not to try it, if you have 500 Euro you can temporarily park in such a setup.

To be honest, after thinking about the focal lengths for a while, I think that the 65/127 pair would be closest to what I prefer, perhaps with the 90 in between. The 90 might be hard to find cheaply though, but I am keeping my eyes open and am being really patient. I am watching a few auctions for other lenses, and if a 110 comes by at an amazing price (<100 Euro), I might try it as well.

I do still need a film back though...

Dec 29, 2012 at 03:40 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.106 #6 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Just bought a Canon FL 35/2.5
Edited because of brain fart.

Edited on Jan 05, 2013 at 05:45 AM · View previous versions

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:46 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.106 #7 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Bought a film back for 79 Euro. Not so cheap, but there aren't any cheap ones right now, and I don't want to wait months for this.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.106 #8 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Been wanting one of these for a while, finally saw a really nice, clean example on the bay:

DSC04890.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Leica Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 (3-cam). Think the SN puts it at 1986.

The adapter is from Rainbow Imaging. It's OK but needs a shim (if possible) as the lens is a bit loose.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:00 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.106 #9 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Been wanting one of these for a while, finally saw a really nice, clean example on the bay:

The adapter is from Rainbow Imaging. It's OK but needs a shim (if possible) as the lens is a bit loose.

sweet!

you should be able to make the lens fit the adapter tighter by widening the groves in the female end of the adapter (use a small flathead screwdriver). shimming the adapter will help tune infinity focus, but won't make it fit any tighter.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.106 #10 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Ah, right - thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Infinity is either right-on, or perhaps just a hair shy. I'll have to test it out some more - I think it's good, but my test shots were at f/2.8 and I'm guessing it sharpens up a bit when stopped down somewhat.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimBuchanan
• • •
p.106 #11 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Taylor Sherman wrote:

That looks just like mine! I have a EF bayonet on mine and a calibrated EF-NEX adapter for the NEX cameras. The Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8 is the only prime lens I've seen that doesn't have any form of infinity focus adjustment. I took it completely apart and no adjustment I could find. I adjusted mine by varying the thickness of the EF bayonet spacer. It's a tad front heavy on the NEX, but nothing a good grip can't handle.

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 05:16 AM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:18 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.106 #12 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

sebboh wrote:
sweet!

you should be able to make the lens fit the adapter tighter by widening the groves in the female end of the adapter (use a small flathead screwdriver). shimming the adapter will help tune infinity focus, but won't make it fit any tighter.

Hmm - there are extremely thin grooves (in the bayonet flanges themselves, that's what you mean yes?), I'm not sure I'll be able to find a suitable device to wedge in there.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:07 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.106 #13 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Taylor Sherman wrote:
Hmm - there are extremely thin grooves (in the bayonet flanges themselves, that's what you mean yes?), I'm not sure I'll be able to find a suitable device to wedge in there.

yup that's what i was talking about. i've always used a jewelers screwdriver to do it, but a reasonably strong knife blade should work if you don't have one.

Jan 04, 2013 at 05:13 AM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.106 #14 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Ah, that worked beautifully! Turns out we had a tiny screwdriver, and just pushing it in was enough to widen the gap suitably. Thanks for the tip.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:14 AM
Thatspeck
• • •
p.106 #15 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Lightshow was that an FL 35 F2.5? I had one for several years and loved it, great build quality, nice colors, and plenty sharp enough. Has to be one of the best values out there too, sometimes they go under 50 bucks. For you FL fans, a 19/3.5 just came up on RFforum with B adapter and ltm/M adapter. I don't quite understand what the purpose of this particular mount was for this lens (there were at least three different mounts), it pretty much has to be used with that B adapter to focus. The B adapter does open the door to using a lot of nice FD/FL lenses on RF's though and is pretty hard to come by. The downside is the 19 might not be mountable on Nex, anyone know for sure?

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:19 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.106 #16 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

sebboh wrote:
let me know what you think of it, i'm been meaning to try one and keep forgetting to bid on them.

Well, right now, I'll say, "Don't bother." It may just be this copy, but it's making the CZ look like a bargain. Everything I've shot from MFD to about 10M is so-so wide open, decent by f/8, but everything over 10M is so soft, I'm wondering if there isn't something wrong with the lens. Maybe it's better on film? I'll send it to you if you want to try it out.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:50 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.106 #17 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Try reversing the rear element

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:40 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.106 #18 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Thatspeck wrote:
Lightshow was that an FL 35 F2.5? I had one for several years and loved it, great build quality, nice colors, and plenty sharp enough. Has to be one of the best values out there too, sometimes they go under 50 bucks. For you FL fans, a 19/3.5 just came up on RFforum with B adapter and ltm/M adapter. I don't quite understand what the purpose of this particular mount was for this lens (there were at least three different mounts), it pretty much has to be used with that B adapter to focus. The B adapter does open the
...Show more

It should work, but it's a fairly symmetrical lens, as I understand it. It was only intended to be used with MLU on the F models. My guess would be you'll see some corner issues with it on the NEX-7 and original 3's and 5's.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:51 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.106 #19 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

carstenw wrote:
Try reversing the rear element

. If that's the problem, then the close performance is nothing short of miraculous.

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:54 PM
p666

p.106 #20 · What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

Zeiss Flektagon 35mm 2.4

I can see this quickly becoming my favourite lens

Couple of quick test shots taken on the 5D mk2, no extra sharpening required..

100% crop

Love how you can pretty much touch the lens on the subject and still get focus, although maybe a little too detailed in this case

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:32 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password