New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Rich Swanner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

What are your thoughts on this lens for a FF 1Ds MkII and a 1.3x crop 1D MkII N over the Canon 50mm f/1.4. I have read about focusing issues? Most reviews seem to say it is better then the Canon. What do you think? ...Thanks ...Rich

Edited on Jan 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2011 at 02:48 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

It does look to be THE lens for IQ and bokeh. But it also seems to be THE lens for getting a lemon. I've read many posts where you can get one that works well for close subjects but not far and then many others that are the opposit.
there are seemingly 2 options when buying and playing what has been called the 'Sigma Lottery'

Buy from a seller tha has a good long return policy, and be prepared to return many samples and/or send a lens to sigma on the understanding that if it does not come back good you can still return it.

or

Buy from a physical store that has a lens in stock. be prepared to shoot many test shots at different distances. if you find one that works buy it and be happy, if not just walk away.

from what I've also read it seems that latter versions have got alot better. Sigma have changed the finish on the lens. I would only buy one of the new finish lenses.

Jan 07, 2011 at 03:00 AM
Pi Chapman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I've been using lots of 50mm lenses, including Canon 50 1.4, 50L 1.0 and 1.2. In my personal opinion Sigma 50 1.4 has the best overall IQ from all of them. The only thing it cannot give you is wider aperture, but even on 1.4-2.0 it delivers photos with the highest resolution, minimal amount of CA, the least vignetting in the 50 class (Sigma has the longest diameter, even longer than Canon Ls - 77mm filter). I love everything about this lens. Of course it doesnt have 1.0-1.2f but when I had Canon Ls I was using them rarely as resolution was very low when shooting wide open.

As it comes to AF issues - a good copy has the fastest AF in its class. Mine is noticeably faster than Canon 50 1.4 and much faster than both 50Ls (and both have really sucky AF imo). One of my friends got a bad copy of it but after sending it to the service it worked as good as mine. I use mine on 5D mark II, sometimes on my friend's 1Ds MkII and the focus is as fast as my 2nd favourite lens - 135L.

To sum up, Sigma 50 1.4 is a great choice. I can recommend it to everyone that doesnt need 1.0-1.2f and weather sealed body (actually I've been using Sigma on quite a heavy rain and snow, nothing has happened, so it's not so bad in terms of sealing). Like the guys said, buy it at a shop with good return policy in case of some problems.

Jan 07, 2011 at 03:40 AM
vpexp

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I just ordered one from Amazon since they are running a 10% off sale on Sigma through the 16th and they have a great return policy if it is not right. I'll let you know how it performs.

Jan 07, 2011 at 07:36 AM
cmaeda

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I have used a friend's Canon 50 1.4, and my copy of the Sigma 50 1.4 has slower AF than the Canon 50 1.4. I also feel that the Sigma's AF accuracy is less consistent than the Canon.

When I wanted to buy a 50mm prime, my choice was between the Sigma 50 1.4 and the Canon 50L. I did not consider the Canon 50 1.4 because it was too fragile. My friend's Canon 50 1.4 has been to the repairshop a few times because the AF keeps breaking.

I chose the Sigma 50 1.4 over the Canon 50L because I also read about the focus shift on the 50L. For such an expensive lens, I would expect it not to have such a flaw.

I use the Sigma 50 on my 5D2 and my 50D and it is a very nice lens. The IQ and bokeh are both very good. Even wide open, the sharpness is very reasonable. The Canon 50 1.4 that I tried was much less sharp wide open. Despite the cons, I do not regret buying the Sigma at all. I look forward to looking at the pics after every shoot!

Jan 07, 2011 at 07:40 AM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Bokeh, sharpness, CA handling, and build quality had me sold on the Sigma and made me sell my Canon. I haven't found the AF to be any less accurate than the Canon version either.

Jan 07, 2011 at 10:22 AM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Run a search...there are seriously dozens of Sigma 50/1.4 related threads covering the same query.

In my experience, having purchased two and used four, the lens did not perform well. YMMV (they don't call it the 'Sigma Lottery' for nothing).

Jan 07, 2011 at 10:27 AM
faremax
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

vpexp wrote:
I just ordered one from Amazon since they are running a 10% off sale on Sigma through the 16th and they have a great return policy if it is not right. I'll let you know how it performs.

How do you get a 10% discount? I found it but I see no discounts.

Jan 07, 2011 at 10:28 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Love the lens, but it requires MA on both my 5d2 and 7d. I'd be hesitant to buy it to use on a body without MA.

Jan 07, 2011 at 10:32 AM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

faremax wrote:
How do you get a 10% discount? I found it but I see no discounts.

From Amazon.com
Shop today and save 10% instantly on this and other qualifying Camera & Photo accessories when you purchase from Amazon.com. To take advantage of this offer, simply add the qualifying product(s) to your Shopping Cart, enter promotional code IOOFFJAN
, and we'll automatically apply the discount at checkout. See details and all qualifying accessories.

Edited on Jan 07, 2011 at 10:36 AM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2011 at 10:35 AM
pinball_pw
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I have the Sigma 50mm 1.4 but have not owned the Canon offering. It is a very nice lens IMHO. I have a hard time recommending it though as there is a lot of copy variation. A buddy of mine tried 4 of them and didn't get a good copy. I was fortunate to buy one used that already had been tested on the B&S forum. It is probably my most used lens. It is also the reason I haven't purchased a 35mm 1.4L. - Paul

Jan 07, 2011 at 10:35 AM
Masahara
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I am in love with it's image quality and bokeh, best 50 I've shot with. BUT, I hate it's focus accuracy even with microadjust of 13 dialed in. It hits very well inside about 10 or 12 feet. I'm fairly happy with it at that range. Outside that, the focus shifts a lot so I usually live view focus for that range (that range might be better without MA). I have managed to use it for sports too, so it's capable, just not confident. It focuses more like a 85 1.2 than like the Canon 50. If you can work with the focus on the one you get, I think you'll be happy. But that's a big if. In spite of the frustrations I think it's earned a permanent place in my bag. I did feel like it focused differently (better ?) on a 5D Mark II (CPS loan) than on my 1D but I have not taken a good look at the test shots yet so I can't really make a judgement there. I would take it over the Canon. You could probably rent one if you want to test drive.

Jan 07, 2011 at 11:03 AM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Masahara wrote:
...BUT, I hate it's focus accuracy even with microadjust of 13 dialed in. It hits very well inside about 10 or 12 feet. I'm fairly happy with it at that range. Outside that, the focus shifts a lot so I usually live view focus for that range (that range might be better without MA).

...Sounds familiar. One of the copies I owned performed the same exact way after a +20 MA on my 1DIII--the focus shift issue and the fact that I couldn't use it in combination with my 5D killed it for me (neither of the OP's bodies have MA). As for focus speed and accuracy the Sigma performed very similar enough to the Canon in good light (within 10 or so ft), but in poor light (low light and backlight) and low contrast situations the Canon performed better.

Jan 07, 2011 at 11:13 AM
Masahara
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

M Vers wrote:
...(neither of the OP's bodies have MA)...

Forgot about that. Without MA I think my Sigma might be more hopeless and that could very well be a deal breaker. (unless the lens gods smile upon you with a great copy)

Jan 07, 2011 at 11:43 AM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I doubted all the posts that were negative towards the Sigma 50/ 1.4. Thought people were overly critical.... Bought a Sigma 50/1.4 to use on a 5D. Focus was way off. Sent it back to Sigma. Came back with the focus way off. Sold it. I currently own 5 Canon lenses, and there has never been a single issue with one of them in 5 years of professional use.

Still using the Canon 50/1.4 which I'm happy with, (not thrilled) but I'd love to get a great Sigma 50/1.4 or the Canon 50/1.2.

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:21 PM
DarthMTS47
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I too have tried three copies of the Sigma 50mm. The first two (when the lens first came out) needed quite a bit of MA, but suffered horrible focus shift between closeup and long distance focus. I sent them both back. I had heard rumors that the lens was updated when the new finish was released this past summer, so I tried one again the other day. To my surprise, the copy did not seem to need any MA! However, the keeper rate was incredibly low, as it could not focus consistently twice in a row...

I actually have more keepers from my MF Voigtlander 40mm Ultron, focusing using the confirmation light of the camera. And it is just as sharp at f/2 as the Sigma was.

-Mike

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:47 PM
abam
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

"What are your thoughts on this lens..."

the canon-mount sigmalux i owned was a lemon (AF issues), so i rid myself of it and bought the OEM 50/1.4 - which i had no considerable problems with. i'd be willing to give the new (smoothly-finished) version a wincing try on my nikon bodies if it weren't for the nikkor 50/1.4G being sharp-ish at f1.4, weather sealed, AF-S-equipped and cheaper.

cheers

Jan 07, 2011 at 03:00 PM
Shhboom

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Purchased a Sigma 50 1.4 from Amazon and returned the lens after much frustration....ordered a Canon L 1.2 in December from Amazon and am very pleased with the lens.This is my second Canon 50 as I had one four years ago but sold it in favor of the 85 L 1.2..very happy camper at this point in time with my Canon products which are used on a Mark lll.

Jan 07, 2011 at 04:08 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

Rich Swanner wrote:
What are your thoughts on this lens for a FF 1Ds MkII and a 1.3x crop 1D MkII N over the Canon 50mm f/1.4. I have read about focusing issues? Most reviews seem to say it is better then the Canon. What do you think? ...Thanks ...Rich

Rich, AF and AWB are two things that bothers me most after trying three copies. I would stick with canon lens for now and wait for better sigma upgrade.

Jan 07, 2011 at 04:12 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 50mm f/1.4?

I had the Canon 50 f/1.4 but was never thrilled with the images it took. Recently bought a Sigma 50 f/1.4. I spent quite a bit of time comparing the two when I owned them both. First, the Sigma may be a little sharper with larger apertures, but both lenses are very comparable in sharpness. There is less vignetting on the Sigma, the Sigma's bokeh is way better, and the build quality is light years better! I have noticed NO focusing problems with the Sigma.

The Sigma did have a distinct red (warm) color to the photos.

Jan 07, 2011 at 04:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.