Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              522      
       524              705       706       end

NEX Images Thread

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.523 #1 · p.523 #1 · NEX Images Thread

freaklikeme wrote:
To f/2? You're getting some great stuff with it. I find it to be a very easy lens to love. That's one of the reasons I'm dragging my feet on getting the wobble checked. I'm not sure I want anyone mucking around with it.

I'm finding the Pen 42 to be a little bit more of a puzzle. The only thing I've determined so far is that it's a much better lens stopped down than either the 25/2.8 or the 60/1.5. Wide open, though, I've yet to get anything that isn't a complete mess.

i think f/2 is probably the sweet spot for portraits on the lux, so i have done that a fair bit. i'm a bit confused by the lack of brightness change between f/1.4 and f/2 compared to my other f/1.4 lenses. i wonder if it has to do with the nex-7 sensor and what is basically a fast near symmetrical wide angle design?

a wide open lux shot at helicoid adapter mfd (the lens was definitely not designed for this):

and an f/2 portrait:

regarding the pen 42mm, my advice for shooting wide open: don't ever focus then recompose, always focus with the exact framing of the shot already positioned, pay attention to oof parts as you frame and focus as they can change dramatically with small changes in framing, and finally my dirty little secret about many of the images i post with that lens – put the subject dead center of the frame and then crop for a more pleasing composition (it helps justify having 24mp too).

Feb 12, 2013 at 09:47 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.523 #2 · p.523 #2 · NEX Images Thread

zhangyue wrote:
Derek, I hold high interest seeing those 35lux shots. I like what I see, a very classic rendering lens. I know It is a very small lens. I tried it at recent California camera show, it seems sharp enough for M9 at center. They charge $1900 for it

don't you have the version I cron? when i've been looking around it seems that the cron is pretty much the same price as the lux (well the "bokeh king" version is even more expensive than the lux) you could probably manage a straight up trade if you wanted. though perhaps you have the same disease i do, where you keep accumulating lenses but can't bear to part with any of them.

in any event if you want to meet up sometime to compare the two, i'd be happy to do so.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.523 #3 · p.523 #3 · NEX Images Thread

sebboh wrote:
don't you have the version I cron? when i've been looking around it seems that the cron is pretty much the same price as the lux (well the "bokeh king" version is even more expensive than the lux) you could probably manage a straight up trade if you wanted. though perhaps you have the same disease i do, where you keep accumulating lenses but can't bear to part with any of them.

in any event if you want to meet up sometime to compare the two, i'd be happy to do so.

Derek, Yes, I do. But that 35cron is a very lovely lens. It (8 element) might be most sought after Leica lens now days. I got it accidentally because I love my rigid cron. and they two happened at about same time. The lens is small with high build quality. In the same camera fair, one guy ask $4000 with OBM without google. I have to say it is overrated as well, though it is a very sharp lens leave out the extreme corner. Even at f2, it is decent most of frame. Another great 35mm is Sammron with similar build as this one. at f2.8, I heard it is better than Cron V1.

I will try to find a time that we can have a half day or one day photo walk. I will shoot you a PM if I do. I seems remember you guys have a photo meet up sometime last year bay area. Now it is spring time, can we do a one day like that?

Most of time my weekend is booked by my kids but I will for sure try to join such a meeting this time if we have another one. Maybe a new thread?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:29 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.523 #4 · p.523 #4 · NEX Images Thread

@photoomaha - great action shot.

If request can be taken here, would someone be so good as to post some images with the ZM21 or opinions. I'm considering it as a "walk-around" and selling off a redundant few 28 and 50's.

Feb 13, 2013 at 01:13 AM
taran
• •
p.523 #5 · p.523 #5 · NEX Images Thread

lumis beans wrote:
@photoomaha - great action shot.

If request can be taken here, would someone be so good as to post some images with the ZM21 or opinions. I'm considering it as a "walk-around" and selling off a redundant few 28 and 50's.

Hard to talk someone out of a ZM21, however, I own many zeiss products, and to have a walk around that allows mind numbing simplicity (aka AF), and attractive price, the sigma 19mm might be a lens to consider first.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:29 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.523 #6 · p.523 #6 · NEX Images Thread

Lumis,

You can do something like this in google and find some results.
zm21 site :http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969329

There has been some discussion about the zm21, in my mind I seem to recall it being a less than perfect lens for the NEX (I could be remembering wrong). The CV 21/4 is small and nice but not great in the corners and has some color shift. The Ultron 21/1.8 looks pretty good on the NEX 7 and looks to have promise on the 16mp sensor (I will have experience there soon!). But of course, as Taran mentioned, the Sigma 19 is sort of hard to not try at the price point.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:38 AM
photoomaha
• •
p.523 #7 · p.523 #7 · NEX Images Thread

I really would like to find some older manual focus lenses you guys are using. I love the way they render contrast and the muted colors you can get. This is from just a few minutes ago, a clock tower at night. Sony Nex 6, Sigma 19mm. I did do a bit more post processing than I normally do, added some grain and brought the shadows up.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:41 AM
lumis beans
• •
p.523 #8 · p.523 #8 · NEX Images Thread

taran wrote:
Hard to talk someone out of a ZM21, however, I own many zeiss products, and to have a walk around that allows mind numbing simplicity (aka AF), and attractive price, the sigma 19mm might be a lens to consider first.

I bought the Sigma pair for when I really wanted to use the camera as a P&S. I haven't come across that yet. I didn't even think of it, frankly. I will try it out, though.

I went back to the beginning of this thread and found a lot of posts on the G21 and ZM25. Lots of color shift. I don't particularly want to use Cornerfix for what would be my "main" lens.

Jacob D wrote:
Lumis,

You can do something like this in google and find some results.
zm21 site :http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/969329

There has been some discussion about the zm21, in my mind I seem to recall it being a less than perfect lens for the NEX (I could be remembering wrong). The CV 21/4 is small and nice but not great in the corners and has some color shift. The Ultron 21/1.8 looks pretty good on the NEX 7 and looks to have promise on the 16mp sensor (I will have experience there soon!). But of course, as Taran mentioned, the Sigma 19 is sort of hard to
...Show more

Thanks, I guessed the ZM21 would have the same issues. But do let us know about Ultron!

And I just saw Ron's site and his full-on, detailed article:
http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=78

@ photoomaha, you are certainly doing great stuff with the Sigma.

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 03:03 AM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:00 AM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.523 #9 · p.523 #9 · NEX Images Thread

Photoomaha, nice find and well captured.If you are looking for alt glass just jump over to the buy and sell forum, plenty to choose from.
Jim

Nex 7/ Rokkor 50@1.4

Barn Cat by jmschemel, on Flickr

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:02 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.523 #10 · p.523 #10 · NEX Images Thread

Jim, always love seeing your photo. Another good one with good use of light.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mawz
• • • • •
p.523 #11 · p.523 #11 · NEX Images Thread

Blooms by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, Micro-Nikkor 85/3.5 DX VR

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:12 PM
photoomaha
• •
p.523 #12 · p.523 #12 · NEX Images Thread

Jim, love the feel of your cat image. Has a certain mystery to it. Adam, wow, how sharp is that!!

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:26 PM
waterden
• •
p.523 #13 · p.523 #13 · NEX Images Thread

Has anyone tried using 135mm alternatives on the Nex-7? I am thinking in particular of the Minolta MD Tele-Rokkor 135/2.8 and the Leica M Tele-Elmar 135 F4.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:40 PM
waterden
• •
p.523 #14 · p.523 #14 · NEX Images Thread

Phillip Reeve wrote:

My PP isn't terribly sophisticated, so i am happy to share it:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8108/8451862913_6298a28dd0_b.jpg
PP_1 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8385/8451862999_e188b3b4b5_b.jpg
pp_2 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8378/8452954246_4b63a735d3_b.jpg
pp_3 by Phillip Reeve, on Flickr

more examples in this flickr-set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/birnenbaumgarten/sets/72157631388994464/with/8452954246/

Beautiful pics. There is no great colour banding here apart, perhaps,for the lowest of the three. Is that a function of the lens or do you use CornerFix or something?

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 04:53 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:46 PM
taran
• •
p.523 #15 · p.523 #15 · NEX Images Thread

@lumis, it might also be worthwhile to consider the Sony 20mm pancake will be out in a couple of months. I would be hard pressed to think my sigma 19 could be bested for anything (my copy is stellar), but the 20mm Sony lens is certainly going to be attractive if the optical performance is halfway decent.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.523 #16 · p.523 #16 · NEX Images Thread

waterden wrote:
Beautiful pics. There is no great colour banding here apart, perhaps,for the lowest of the three. Is that a function of the lens or do you use CornerFix or something?

What exactly do you mean with color banding? I didn't use cornerfix, just a minor devignette.

Feb 13, 2013 at 05:50 PM
waterden
• •
p.523 #17 · p.523 #17 · NEX Images Thread

Colour banding or colour shift refers to the magenta stripes at the sides of images created with many wide and wider angle lenses adapted to fit the Nex cameras. It is a particular problem with the Nex7 and both Cornerfix and Lightroom flat field plug-in are used to address it. It is generally only obvious on high key images such as snow scenes so perhaps it is present on yours but not that pronounced. My question was more to establish whether the VM15 is less prone to this effect than other Leica-M fit wide-angles.

On another subject, the script on your photos which describes your camera/lens combinations is very faint and hard to read. Which is a shame because you use an interesting variety of combinations. Would you mind brightening it up a little?

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:14 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.523 #18 · p.523 #18 · NEX Images Thread

Since the USSR lens thread is dead again, I'll post here.
Industar 69 & NEX-7

OM 21/3.5 & NEX-7

A quick shot with my Canon LTM 100/3.5 @ NEX-7 @ 70mph on the freeway the day I bought it.

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 07:37 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:34 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.523 #19 · p.523 #19 · NEX Images Thread

waterden wrote:
Colour banding or colour shift refers to the magenta stripes at the sides of images created with many wide and wider angle lenses adapted to fit the Nex cameras. It is a particular problem with the Nex7 and both Cornerfix and Lightroom flat field plug-in are used to address it. It is generally only obvious on high key images such as snow scenes so perhaps it is present on yours but not that pronounced. My question was more to establish whether the VM15 is less prone to this effect than other Leica-M fit wide-angles.

Here it is usually called colorshift, banding doesn't make too much sense in my eyes because it is a circular pattern.
The CV15 (CosinaVoigtländer) can shift a little bit on the 5n/6 but you rarely notice it.
One example:

On the Nex 7 it is much more evident though.

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:37 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.523 #20 · p.523 #20 · NEX Images Thread

waterden wrote:

On another subject, the script on your
...Show more

Colour banding typically refers to noise problems. The phenomenon you are describing is generally referred to as colour shift. The NEX cameras are not known to have any banding of any kind at anything but insane ISO settings.

By the way, the writing for the lens and camera used is *very* clear here. Have you profiled your monitor recently?

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 07:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 07:38 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password