FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              489      
       491              715       716       end

NEX Images Thread

taran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.490 #1 · p.490 #1 · NEX Images Thread

@seb, that is a wonderful dreaminess, on the lux, congratulations on your purchase.

@philip reeve, I am enjoying the winter landscapes you are making with the Heliar, I can almost feel the cold.

New toy, 58mm Voigt SLII"N"... quite an amazing little beastie, rocks on NEX-7.

IMG_2049 by artistwithlight, on Flickr
Zelenpol half case, JM soft release "rainbow", Ciesta leather finger strap,Voigt 58mm SLII"N"

Obviously, my 7 is more stylish than I am

and a photo with the voigt @2.8...

delray 2.9.135150 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:40 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.490 #2 · p.490 #2 · NEX Images Thread

From last year's Cherry Blossoms Festival in DC, nex 5n w C/Y 85mm 1.4, wide open (double post from Zeiss thread):

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:46 PM
serhan_
• • •
p.490 #3 · p.490 #3 · NEX Images Thread

More from last year's Cherry Blossoms Festival in DC, CV 50mm f/1.1 wide open with nex 5-n:

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.490 #4 · p.490 #4 · NEX Images Thread

W/ the lowly SEL16F28 and ultra-wide adapter, on the 7:

DSC06251.jpg by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:01 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.490 #5 · p.490 #5 · NEX Images Thread

Derek, I do enjoy the rendering of the Luxes wide open and/or close to. The OOF is so very Leica-ish

Phillip, great work with the CV 15!

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:15 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.490 #6 · p.490 #6 · NEX Images Thread

Jacob D wrote:
Derek, I do enjoy the rendering of the Luxes wide open and/or close to. The OOF is so very Leica-ish

me too, it's quite a unique look that i've always been fond of.

i'm still getting a handle on how the lens performs it seems to have very little change in exposure or dof stopping down from f/1.4 to f/2, rather the glow just changes a bit. it does have significant focus shift at medium distances. i've been surprised to find out that it's actually pretty sharp wide open at infinity across the frame with none of the field curvature issues that the 40 cron has (at least on aps-c ). at near and medium distances sharpness seems to drop off a cliff outside the central third. at some point i'll have to compare it to the 40 cron and c/y 35/1.4 but my initial impression is that it has a very different draw than both. the lux stronger SA that doesn't go away until the lens is stopped down considerably more than the other two would need to be. it also never seems as bleedingly sharp as the other two centrally though that may be more of a contrast thing than a resolution thing. on the other hand it seems much better behaved across the frame than either of the other two and is thus probably the best landscape lens of the group.

anyway, here is the same shot i posted earlier except at f/1.4 instead of f/8:

you can barely see that it is there at web size but there is a speed limit sign on the far right of the image that is actually readable at full size.

the kind of shot you could never take with the lens on a leica camera:

and a portrait at f/2:

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:11 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.490 #7 · p.490 #7 · NEX Images Thread

taran wrote:
@seb, that is a wonderful dreaminess, on the lux, congratulations on your purchase.

@philip reeve, I am enjoying the winter landscapes you are making with the Heliar, I can almost feel the cold.

New toy, 58mm Voigt SLII"N"... quite an amazing little beastie, rocks on NEX-7.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8516/8461611049_a7d28346df_b.jpg
IMG_2049 by artistwithlight, on Flickr
Zelenpol half case, JM soft release "rainbow", Ciesta leather finger strap,Voigt 58mm SLII"N"

Obviously, my 7 is more stylish than I am

and a photo with the voigt @2.8...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8100/8462523720_1fcd0c90dd_b.jpg
delray 2.9.135150 by artistwithlight, on Flickr

Oh where, oh where did you find that soft release?

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:19 AM
Nex Barker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.490 #8 · p.490 #8 · NEX Images Thread

Nex 7 with the Summicron 50 R, both

Feb 11, 2013 at 08:59 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.490 #9 · p.490 #9 · NEX Images Thread

Glow by Mawz, on Flickr
NEX-7, not sure what lens, probably the Micro-Nikkor 85/3.5 VR DX

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:57 PM
taran
• • •
p.490 #10 · p.490 #10 · NEX Images Thread

ulrikft2 wrote:
Oh where, oh where did you find that soft release?

eBay search "LS-SB2". Lim's Rainbow soft release. Remember, the NEX-7 favors an asymmetrical placement of the soft release, more towards the back and right of the camera, otherwise the shutter button will depress unevenly. At least this is the case on my 7.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.490 #11 · p.490 #11 · NEX Images Thread

@nicoimages wonderfull images!

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:54 PM
lumis beans
• •
p.490 #12 · p.490 #12 · NEX Images Thread

You sure make that CV15 shine, Phillip. I feel like I could reach right into that second image.

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:01 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.490 #13 · p.490 #13 · NEX Images Thread

Great indoor shots, Phillip!

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.490 #14 · p.490 #14 · NEX Images Thread

Phillip - I also really enjoy what you're doing with the CV15. The last indoor image has a great feel to it too!

Jacob D wrote:

sebboh wrote:
me too, it's quite a unique look that i've always been fond of.

i'm still getting a handle on how the lens performs it seems to have very little change in exposure or dof stopping down from f/1.4 to f/2, rather the glow just changes a bit. it does have significant focus shift at medium distances. i've been surprised to find out that it's actually pretty sharp wide open at infinity across the frame with none of the field curvature issues that the 40 cron has (at least on aps-c ). at near and medium distances sharpness seems to
...Show more

Derek: interesting observations. I also like the look you're getting from it. Maybe there is something to that supposed Leica-glow after all?

My only Summilux experience is with the newer ASPH lenses but there seems to be some consistency to them as well. Infinity performance, even wide open, seems to be quite good for the class. I've read that many of these lenses are infinity optimized. I also find they're 'dual personality' lenses. Wide open character tends to be sharp but somewhat gentle, while stopped down resolution/contrast is extremely good. The 50 Lux ASPH, for example, also exhibits a fair amount of SA at 70cm, despite being a floating element design. I've found the CV50/1.5 and ZM50/2 outperform it at this distance. It could be some non-ASPH Summiluxes share similar traits, but perhaps more extreme. It might also be a matter of design to match imaging technology of the era - film stocks, printing and reproduction techniques, etc. Not sure if you follow discussions about the Leica Monochrom, but it seems many are finding older lenses offer a gentler image quality that allows for a lot more flexibility in post compared to modern, very high contrast lenses...

On another tangent, here's an image with the NEX-7 and 90 Summarit. Toronto Union Station.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:20 PM
alwang
• • •
p.490 #15 · p.490 #15 · NEX Images Thread

Couple more with the Sony 35:

color block by alwang, on Flickr

slow wrap by alwang, on Flickr

blue flutter by alwang, on Flickr

cheeko by alwang, on Flickr

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.490 #16 · p.490 #16 · NEX Images Thread

A few from today
-Jim

NEX 7 / Jupiter 9

NEX 7 / Rokkor 50 @ 1.4

Feb 12, 2013 at 02:26 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.490 #17 · p.490 #17 · NEX Images Thread

Went to The Blackhawk Museum in Pleasanton, CA last week. The first two here are with the Summilux-M 35 pre-ASPH, last is with the Elmarit-M 24/2.8.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:51 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.490 #18 · p.490 #18 · NEX Images Thread

B&W from the same. First two are with the 24, last is the 35.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:54 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.490 #19 · p.490 #19 · NEX Images Thread

Finally, a few B&W from Columbus near Broadway in SFO. The first is City Lights Bookstore, which I'm sure anyone familiar with the Beat writers or with an interest in poetry knows well. For those who don't, City Lights fostered many of the Beat writers not only in promotion but also as publishers. Ginsberg's infamous "Howl" was originally published under City Lights' own imprint as the fourth in their series of pocket poetry books. The first run was seized by US Customs for violations of obscenity laws. City Lights had subsequent runs printed in the US to get around Customs. Though much of the neighborhood has changed around them, neither the store nor the publishing efforts have lapsed into nostalgia. While they continue to be a vital resource to the Beat scholars, they continue to stock their shelves with challenging, thought-provoking material that isn't likely to hit the NYT bestseller list or pop up on an Amazon recommendation. It really is a must-see if you're going to the city.

The last two are of a copper-faced building down the street. I haven't learned anything about the building yet, but here's an interesting bit of trivia. The cafe (Zoetrope) on the bottom floor is owned by Francis Ford Coppola. He uses it to push his wine which, as I understand it, runs from decent to awful with a lot of mediocre in the middle, according to my wine-loving buddy. Personally, I've never tasted a wine that didn't make me reach for my water glass, so I'm in no position to judge. The Roman-style pizza, though, is excellent.

All with the Elmarit-M 24.

Edited on Feb 14, 2013 at 05:40 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:25 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.490 #20 · p.490 #20 · NEX Images Thread

^^love that last shot! does it look alright in color or is there too much mixed light?

i'm having fun shooting dreamy landscapes at f/1.4 with the 35 lux:

i'm sure i'll move on soon.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password