Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2010 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and...

khphotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Santa brought me an Sigma 85mm 1.4 Santa meaning my fiancee. Sadly I've already returned the lens as I told my fiancee I really need a 400mm F2.8 VR more than anything else. In any event, I've now used all 3 lenses, owned all 3, etc. I know many are curious of the differences, value, etc. Here is my take on it.

Nikon 85mm 1.4D

If you own the lens run and hide. I wouldn't in all honestly pay more than $500 for one right now. For the longest time this was a great portrait lens with numerous flaws. It was a sharp portrait lens with really great bokeh. In my opinion the best bokeh between all 3.

Flaws.

1. Bad physical design. My two main issues being the screw in metal hood and the fact the rear element sits basically flush against the mount making it easily damaged.

2. Poor AF performance and no AF motor. If you using lower end bodies there is no AF and if you using higher end bodies the AF performance is poor. Even on a D3s/D3x the AF is slow and not overly accurate.

3. CA can be harsh at the best of times and is easily the worst of the 3 in this category.

Nikon 85mm 1.4G

I owned one of the very first and had my pick of roughly half a dozen that I sampled. This lens was everything that the 85mm 1.4D was not. It had a good AF motor that was capable of tracking moving subjects with accuracy. Not incredibly fast, but think of a bride and father walking down the aisle. With that alone it was worth the cost upgrade.

The image quality on the lens is top notch. CA is still some what iffy under certain circumstances but is improved over the 85mm 1.4D. Shooting wide open at F1.4 the lens is sharp.

Build quality is the best of the 3 lenses hands down.

Flaws.

1. Price tag. Nikon seems to enjoy raising prices during economic turmoil. There's no real other downside to the lens.

Sigma 85mm 1.4

Man people despise sigma, swear they'll never use them, etc. I'm not one of them. Certain sigma lenses are great and often better than Canon and Nikon made lenses. This is not totally the case with this lens.

AF performance is the best of the 3 lenses, hands down, no comparison. I was surprised at just how fast the Sigma focused even compared to the 85mm 1.4G. Again it's not as fast as a 70-200 or 200 F2 but it's definitely a huge improvement. AF accuracy is on par with the 85mm 1.4G and way better than the 85mm 1.4D.

The lens is equally as sharp if not slightly sharper at the center shot wide open at F1.4. The 85mm 1.4G is sharper in the corners. I wouldn't say this is a noticeable difference, very slight if anything. You would probably only see a difference with large prints such as a 16x24 and up.

CA is better on the Sigma 85mm than it is the 85mm 1.4D. I would say the 85mm 1.4G is the best of the 3.

Flaws.

1. Build quality is not as good as the 85mm 1.4G. It's a sigma and will always have the stigma as being a sigma.

2. I have found the lens will shoot rather than hunt for the right focus. To some this may not be an issue but for me it was an annoyance. Besides that the AF performance is the best of the 3.

3. The colors and contrast were not as good as they are on the 85mm 1.4G.

Conclusion.

It's a real tough one. For me I still prefer the 85mm 1.4G simply because it does have a better build quality, handles CA better and the colors/contrast just seem more pleasant. That being said optically the Sigma is at least equal to the 85mm 1.4G and the AF performance is faster. Note I say faster. I refuse to say better overall since the 85mm 1.4G has a nice smooth AF that has a good speed where as the Sigma 85mm feels snappy. Basically you can feel the torque in the lens. My only issue with that is how well it will handle over time. I always find lenses with high end torque in the AF have a higher failure rate.

In low light the 85mm 1.4G and Sigma are basically equal and substantially better than the 85mm 1.4D.

I think what it boils down to it what you are most likely to use the lens for. I feel the Nikon 85mm 1.4G is worth every penny as it's a really well built lens that has advantages over the Sigma. I honestly feel they are both really good lenses and you can't go wrong with either one. I would still take the Nikon 85mm 1.4G over the Sigma 85mm, again it's preference.

The only issue I still have with Sigma is quality control as I've seem several reviews online stating the AF performance in the lens can be poor. My experience showed it has a great AF motor but I can't help but wonder if their quality control isn't up to snuff.

I stick by what I say, the 85mm 1.4D is not worth more than $500 USED right now. I dont understand how anybody could justify paying more for it when for a couple hundred more the Sigma 85mm is right there and is an improvement in every way shape and form.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:27 AM
varome
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Definitely good things to consider before making the decision.

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM
forbidden_hero
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Great detailed impressions! I have been looking into getting the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 for a long time now after great success with the 50mm f/1.4 EX so thanks for the great info! Happy holidays!

Dec 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM
yossarian123
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

I agree with most of what you're saying except for your evaluation of the 85D. Really, $500?? I'd say that's pretty harsh considering that a used 85 1.8D will set you back $350-400. The 85D is still a professional-level lens with the build quality to match. Wait - I take that back - maybe it is worth $500 - are you selling one? I'd gladly buy one from you for $500, even though I've already got the Sigma.

I think that $800-900 is still a fair price for the lens considering it's usefulness as a pure portrait lens. I've yet to replicate the dreamy "look" of the 85D shot wide open. The 85G comes close (I've tried all three), but it's also a very very sharp lens and costs roughly 10 billion dollars.

I've been shooting quite a bit with the Sigma over the holidays, it's a lens that's really growing on me. AF, sharpness, bokeh - they're all very good and makes the $899 asking price a real bargain. I think Sigma has an amazing lens on their hands.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:07 PM
khphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

$800 to $900 is not a reasonable price for that lens. When you consider the Sigma does everything better it's just not a good deal. I'd honestly say $500 to $600 is the right price range for the 85mm 1.4D. Given that it has poor AF performance and CA issues. Given perfect circumstances I'm sure sharpness wise it can equal both the 1.4G and the Sigma however the number of times that lens would miss the ideal focus was significantly higher than the Sigma or 1.4G.

It is what it is. 5 years ago the lens was a great lens. Even then it was a great lens that had issues and today it's a great lens that still has issues. I would say in the $500 to $600 range it would find it's place as it still holds value as it can take some great images. I'd honestly be shocked to see anybody paying a dime over $700 for a 85mm 1.4D that wasn't in flawless next to new condition.

I did once upon a time love that lens, but compared to the two new lenses it simply can't compete.

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:14 PM
Chris Langer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

I just bought the Sigma and have used both the old 85 and new Nikon 85. Will be interesting to see how the Sigma works out for me!

Chris

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:44 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Chris Langer wrote:
I just bought the Sigma and have used both the old 85 and new Nikon 85. Will be interesting to see how the Sigma works out for me!

Chris

Post your experiences sometime

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM
Todd Adamson
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

khphotography wrote:
Nikon 85mm 1.4D

If you own the lens run and hide. I wouldn't in all honestly pay more than $500 for one right now.

You are a ridiculous person.

Anyway, I'm just going to quit shooting Nikon, announce it to the billions of readers of my blog, then wait for my NPS rep to email me and offer to give me the G version. Probably won't happen until they have a D4 to give me, too, but that's cool.

Dec 28, 2010 at 01:00 PM
Nick Nishizaka
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Interesting remark regarding the AF on the Sigma. I have both right now and am trying to decide whether to keep the Sigma or now. The Nikon definitely has "smoother" AF with a lot less "torque" as you put it. The Sigma is a bit fidgety. But in the end, IMO, the Sigma focuses well. It's at least as fast as the Nikon and seems to be accurate, again, just like the 85G. I never liked the 85 1.4 D and all the "fanboy" stuff that was written about it. Looks like the Sigma is going to finally put all that to rest.

To me, at 85mm f1.4, there are only 2 viable options now. the Sigma and the Nikon G.

BTW, also completely agreed with the build comment. Though the Sigma is actually much heavier than the Nikon, it still has that cheap-ish feel to it. Much better than say the Sigma 50 1.4, but I'm not too crazy about the rubber coating finish that looks like it may flake off...

Dec 28, 2010 at 01:03 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Todd Adamson wrote:
You are a ridiculous person.

Anyway, I'm just going to quit shooting Nikon, announce it to the billions of readers of my blog, then wait for my NPS rep to email me and offer to give me the G version. Probably won't happen until they have a D4 to give me, too, but that's cool.

Someone has a bone between his teeth he's not quite ready to let go of, just yet...

Happy New Year Todd!

Dec 28, 2010 at 01:29 PM
Todd Adamson
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Edited on Jan 10, 2011 at 07:35 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2010 at 01:44 PM
LLondon
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/965357/0

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/964077/0

Can't make up your mind about these things but in 2 days (if you got the lens on Christmas day) you can declare the price of a very good lens be cut in half.
Sorry you maybe a very nice person but your post make you out to be a snob.
"Sadly I've already returned the lens as I told my fiancee I really need a 400mm F2.8 VR." Nothing like telling someone that their 1K gift is not good enough that they need to get you one that cost 9X more

Dec 28, 2010 at 01:48 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Well, since I don't see a well-done Bruce Sawie style analysis here, I guess I'll have to say it:

Thread = worthless, without pix

Dec 28, 2010 at 01:48 PM
az-dave
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

LLondon wrote:
"Sadly I've already returned the lens as I told my fiancee I really need a 400mm F2.8 VR." Nothing like telling someone that their 1K gift is not good enough that they need to get you one that cost 9X more

One just hit the BS Board for only 7.5X as much. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/967791

Dave

Dec 28, 2010 at 01:57 PM
jonshonda
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Excellent & honest review IMHO. Reviews like yours often bring out touchy feelings. I would like to be the first to say that you should keep doing what your doing, regardless of what some pissy critics might say.

I am a person who tells it is...doesnt sugar coat things, often to a fault sometimes. But I think honesty is very underrated sometimes.

Dec 28, 2010 at 02:08 PM
passthegravy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

I just went and threw my 85 f/1.8 in the trash. If the 85 1.4d is that bad, my 1.8 must be worthless.

Seriously, I think this is a case of technical perfection vs. real life usage. I've never shot with the 1.4d, so I may just be ignorant, but I read about these flaws and then I think about all the brilliant, magical photos I've seen that were produced with that lens. If anyone has one they'd like to sell for $500, let me be the first in line to buy it. Please.

Dec 28, 2010 at 02:24 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

khphotography wrote:
Nikon 85mm 1.4D

If you own the lens run and hide. I wouldn't in all honestly pay more than $500 for one right now. For the longest time this was a great portrait lens with numerous flaws. It was a sharp portrait lens with really great bokeh. In my opinion the best bokeh between all 3.

Flaws.

1. Bad physical design. My two main issues being the screw in metal hood and the fact the rear element sits basically flush against the mount making it easily damaged.

2. Poor AF performance and no AF motor. If you using
...Show more

How interesting! I have owned and compared both the 85 D and G and my findings are exactly the opposite of yours in the categories you mentioned.

85/1.4D:
1. Superior physical design, made of metal instead of plastic, and I much prefer the metal screw-in lens hood which I kept in place permanently.

2. Much faster AF speed compared to the G, about twice as fast going between near and far.

3. Slightly less CA compared to the G.

Despite those advantages of the D, in the end I kept the G for it's better colors and contrast, especially wide open, and better AF tracking accuracy as well as easy manual focus override.

Dec 28, 2010 at 02:52 PM
jtra
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

khphotography wrote:
CA is better on the Sigma 85mm than it is the 85mm 1.4D. I would say the 85mm 1.4G is the best of the 3.

There is a review which puts Sigma above Nikon 85/1.4G when compared for axial (longitudinal) chromatic aberration.

Nikon 85/1.4G CA (crop):
http://www.lenstip.com/upload2/37886_nik85_ca.jpg

Sigma 85/1.4 CA (crop):
http://www.lenstip.com/upload2/42703_sig85_ca.jpg

Both pictures come from lenstip reviews:
http://www.lenstip.com/264.1-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_85_mm_f_1.4G_Introduction.html
http://www.lenstip.com/277.1-Lens_review-Sigma_85_mm_f_1.4_EX_DG_HSM_Introduction.html

Lateral chromatic aberration is also lower in Sigma (see review), but that one is not as important since current Nikon cameras can correct for that in jpg and raw converters too.

Dec 28, 2010 at 03:03 PM
Nick Nishizaka
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

I wouldn't say the 85 1.4 D has "superior" build. It's not sealed. Yes, it's made out of metal, but so what? It can rust. It's clunky. Doesn't have an AF motor built in. The 85 G while not metal, is made from more modern materials, is weather sealed, and has all the trimmings of modern lenses. I much prefer the more modern hoods. I HATED the screw in hood.

Twice as fast going for a full rack? No way. Let's be realistic here. Besides even if the 85 1.4 D is "faster", it's much less accurate. I'll take the accuracy and the consistency of the G any day of the week. Same goes for Sigma. The AF on the Sigma acts more like the G than the D.

Haven't really noticed worse CA on the G. They are both pretty bad when it comes to this. IMO, the Sigma handles CA the best ironically.

I think we are fetching a little here, no?

Dec 28, 2010 at 03:05 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma 85mm vs Nikon 85mm 1.4D vs Nikon 85mm 1.4G - The good, the bad and the ugly.

Nick Nishizaka wrote:
Twice as fast going for a full rack? No way.

I measured it. Have you?

Nick Nishizaka wrote:
I'll take the accuracy and the consistency of the G any day of the week.

Same here. But the D is still faster.

Nick Nishizaka wrote:
Haven't really noticed worse CA on the G. They are both pretty bad when it comes to this.

That's true. The G looked worse to me, but I had to look very closely. It could be because the G renders colors with more saturation, so the CA can also look more pronounced. In any case the G is no improvement in this area.

Edited on Dec 28, 2010 at 03:21 PM · View previous versions

Dec 28, 2010 at 03:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.