Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

neighbourboy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Edit: The album arrived. I'll put up a couple of quick shots of it.

Chuck, I fixed many of the spacing issues that you brought up. I didn't use Fundy, simply because I saw how much it was and I was afraid that I'd like it too much, making a 'nice thing to have', suddenly a 'must have' ;-)

Tim, I also searched though my pictures to find more of her interacting with others, as you mentioned and found just a couple, that I added on the last page.

I used Mpix to do the album. It seems like a lot of the really high quality places require you to be a legit photographer and not just a hack like me. Most of the consumer albums are kind of cheesy and seem to make you use their own templates. This one seems kind of in between and you can make the pages look how you want. All in all, I'm quite happy with the final product. I kinda wanted one that would lay flat, but that really only seemed to be something that the high end places offered - at least that I could find. And none of my pictures span pages, so I guess it's not really that big a deal.

Another big challenge was calibration. I don't have a good monitor. In fact, all I have is a laptop screen. Even borrowing a Spyder to calibrate, didn't help much. So it was a lot of test prints, then manually adjusting to make it match.

Anyway, here are a couple of the album. Thanks for looking.

Tim, this is the page I added after reading your advice.

1st off, sorry for the long post. I wanted to try and do a photo book for my little girl's first year. Most of these have been posted before throughout the year. The book with be 11 x 8.5. This is my first attempt at this and know nothing about album design.

I'd be curious to see what you think of my layouts. I haven't put the order in yet, I'm still waiting for some test prints to come back to see if I've got my calibration issues sorted out. So if you see anything that's an 'OMG, that's terrible' response, I might change it up.

page 1-2

page 3-4

page 5-6

page 7-8

page 9-10

page 11-12

page 13-14

page 15-16

page 17-18

page 19-20

page 21-22

page 23-24

page 25-26

page 27-28

page 29-30

page 31-32

page 33-34

page 35-36

page 37-38

page 39-40

page 41-42

page 43-44

page 45-46

page 47-48

Phew, that was a lot of cutting and pasting. If you made it this far - thanks for looking!

--David

Edited on Jan 17, 2011 at 09:40 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2010 at 09:53 PM
LawrenceJ
• •
p.1 #2 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Great book! Pictures are all lively and have their own type of look and that is what it should be. Not just your typical baby pictures, they all have their own look and style and show the true actions of your child.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

One of the best of its type that I've seen, and something I'm sure you'll treasure for many years! I enjoyed looking!

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:31 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Thanks much, Lawrence.

Evan, that means a lot to me, coming from somebody of your caliber. Thank you.

--David

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:29 PM
atnmac

p.1 #5 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Sweetness, this is beyond excellent.

Dec 24, 2010 at 11:45 PM
LawrenceJ
• •
p.1 #6 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

May I ask what all was used in terms of Body and Lens?

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:33 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Thanks atnmac,

Lawrence -- sure thing. These are all really a mix, but most were probably shot with the 5DII and 35L, or the cheapo 50 F/1.8. Some of them I also used a 30D with either the cheapo 50, or the 17-85 EF-S. The earlier ones would have all been the 30D, because I didn't get the 5D until she was about 4 mos old.

Oh, and the one for page 45, I specifically remember was the 30D with the 10-22, because the 35mm on the 5D wasn't wide enough - *and* I didn't really want to bungee my expensive stuff to the front of the stroller while cruising along ;-)

--David

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:54 AM
LawrenceJ
• •
p.1 #8 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Good stuff. I could tell that most were the 35L, but some were a bit confusing.

Haha I wouldn't want to hook mine to the front either! Great set!

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM
poison
• • •
p.1 #9 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

+1 on Evan .... really, fantastic set of images and a lovely daughter.

Dec 25, 2010 at 01:12 AM
geofan
• • •
p.1 #10 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Really strong years worth of photos! Excellent stuff

Dec 25, 2010 at 01:32 AM

jhobgood
• • •
p.1 #11 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Great Work!

Dec 25, 2010 at 01:56 AM
radioblurs
• • • •
p.1 #12 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

agree with others-a lot of beautiful images-you do well with series, in particular-thanks for sharing

daniel

Dec 25, 2010 at 02:57 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Great set, I'm sure it'll be even better in print.

Dec 25, 2010 at 03:41 AM
timhpark
• • • •
p.1 #14 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

David, this book is filled with wonderful images. I remember seeing many of these throughout the past year, and they are a joy to look at. Your skills behind the camera are as good as your daughter is cute!

My thoughts/comments about the book center more on the selection process of the images. I'm not sure if there are any right or wrong answers, but these are just a couple things that came to my mind as I "flipped through" the pages...

1. There seems to only be a handful of settings (e.g. home, park, woods) chosen for this book. I'm sure there were many more places your daughter visited throughout her first year, and I personally think it would be interesting to see more of a variety in the environments...places like relatives' and friends' homes, vacation photos, parties, play dates, etc.

2. I only see mom on the first page and then brother on a few later pages. I don't think I saw you once. A baby's first year is filled with interactions with family, relatives, and friends. I would love to see more frames with her interacting with others. When I visit people's homes and see coffee table books, the thing I love most is flipping through the pages and seeing the various relationships.

3. As Daniel mentioned, you do really well with series. I totally agree. When you post on FM, your photo selections are really well thought out. I can tell you put a lot of thought into this book as well. At the same time, almost every page is a series. I wonder if the book as a whole wouldn't benefit from incorporating more pages with just a variety of stand alone shots, well-thought out of course.

I guess the overall impression I get is that this is a very big "portrait session" book of your daughter's first year. Again, I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer, but with 48 pages, personally I would like to see more "relationships" shots.

Wow, I can't believe how long my comment is, probably the longest comment I've ever written here on FM. And I think that's because I really like you and your photography skills. You are a true student, always wanting to learn and grow! Thanks for listening to my two cents!

Tim

Dec 25, 2010 at 04:43 AM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Love this from top to bottom! Not qualified to comment on layout but the images are super, well done!

Dec 25, 2010 at 04:57 AM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Thanks everybody for the kind words.

A big thanks to you, Tim for the excellent feedback! As I look back through them again, I see exactly what you are saying. Sadly, I think that most of the shots I've taken over the last year, have been more of the informal portrait that you see and I don't have much of interacting with others.

So, I'll work on incorporating more of that into my shots in the future! Great advice - I appreciate you taking the time to detail that out.

--David

Dec 25, 2010 at 04:48 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

david,

i love the images and the idea behind the book and understand how difficult the process of putting something like this together! well done!

i'm going against the grain with the crowd about the layout. i think you have some good layouts (41-42; 43-44; 33-34; and several others) but there are some spacing issues. believe me, i understand how insanely difficult album layout is (i'm in the infancy of learning the process myself). i just downloaded fundy album builder's free 14 day trial and found it REALLY REALLY easy to use. AND, it takes care of all the spacing for you

always love seeing your stuff

post photos of the actual album when it comes in!

chuck

Dec 25, 2010 at 07:09 PM
neighbourboy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Thanks very much! More great feedback, Chuck.

Are the issues more related to inconsistencies between the spacing, or that things just look odd, in general? For example on 33, I now notice the space between left and right, seems different from top and bottom - and I'm also seeing that same problem on page 29.

In addition, under more careful observation - I see that 17-18 have different spacing than similar layouts in pages 24 or 35, where I think 35 is probably the best of the three.

Are those the type of problems you are thinking of?

Dec 25, 2010 at 07:54 PM
tlong
• • •
p.1 #19 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Wow! This is phenomenal! You and your family will treasure this forever!
I make a book each year for our kids, but I think I need lessons from you. I am speechless...I just love it so much...

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM
modd69
• •
p.1 #20 · / FPJ / Photo Album - Arrived

Great stuff neighbourboy, I really like 41-42. To Chuck's point, the layout seems inconsistent as far as spacing and image sizes, but the quality and composition of the images are awesome. You're inspiring me to take a stab at creating a book of my family.

Chuck, let us know what you think of the fundy album builder.

-Ross

Dec 25, 2010 at 11:50 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password