Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2010 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

#5 Well, all lenses might have a creamy background bokeh if the object is very close and the BG is farther So let see the bokeh if the object is farther.

#6 Another bokeh test

#7 Let's shot a portrait ... luckily there was a model photo session in the mall

#8 Another angle ...

Aug 13, 2011 at 05:44 PM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #2 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Still Rokkor 100/2 MC ..
CA test on water fountain ... no CA spotted

Sep 01, 2011 at 02:16 AM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #3 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Bokeh test for busy background ... no problem ...

Sep 01, 2011 at 02:19 AM
debuggerus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #4 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

A nice and rare lens, nixland!

Sep 01, 2011 at 02:36 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #5 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

debuggerus wrote:
A nice and rare lens, nixland!

+1

very jealous, i've never even seen one for sale.

Sep 01, 2011 at 02:48 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
+1

very jealous, i've never even seen one for sale.

+2

I looked faithfully for one for a year and could not find one for sale.

Sep 01, 2011 at 02:58 AM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #7 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

@debuggerus, sebboh & steve: Yes it's very rare indeed I feel so lucky.
Need a ton of patience and luck for this lens. Waiting and watching every day from dawn to midnight on eBay and almost gave up, and finally found one in mint condition.
And through some tests I was surprised that this lens is beyond and better than my expectation for an old lens. Like a gift from heaven I'll never sell this lens

And the lens is small too.

Sep 01, 2011 at 03:06 AM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #8 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Previously I was after the Rokkor 135/2 too, but abandoned it due to it's rareness and that I decided not to explore MF lenses more than FL 100-105mm, and just concentrate on 50-105mm. Besides, I already got Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 (cheap, small lens but has great performance specially for travelling light) and Zeiss 135/2.8 C/Y (sharp, good microcontrast though sometimes it's PF is annoying ) and 135L for sports and portrait.

But, I still can not get ride of my curiosity about this legendary Minolta lens.
Looking at the very good result of the Rokkor 100/2 which is an old lens, I assume that, as newer lens, MD 135/2 will be a very very good lens.

Sep 01, 2011 at 03:41 AM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #9 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

@sebboh: By the way I like the gorgeous rendering and bokeh of your 135/2.8 in the first page. Just curios to know what is the character differences with Zeiss 135/2.8 C/Y ?

Sep 01, 2011 at 05:07 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

nixland wrote:
@sebboh: By the way I like the gorgeous rendering and bokeh of your 135/2.8 in the first page. Just curios to know what is the character differences with Zeiss 135/2.8 C/Y ?

couldn't say for sure, i've never shot with the zeiss. i would guess the zeiss has more microcontrast, global contrast, and CA just from my experience with rokkors and zeiss lenses in general. the 135/2.8 has a similar drawing style to the other MC and early MD lenses i've shot with (28/2, 50/1.4, and 58/1.2). i really should use the lens more, it's just not a comfortable angle of view for me.

Sep 01, 2011 at 05:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nixland
• • •
p.6 #11 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
couldn't say for sure, i've never shot with the zeiss. i would guess the zeiss has more microcontrast, global contrast, and CA just from my experience with rokkors and zeiss lenses in general. the 135/2.8 has a similar drawing style to the other MC and early MD lenses i've shot with (28/2, 50/1.4, and 58/1.2). i really should use the lens more, it's just not a comfortable angle of view for me.

Thanks for sharing the info.

I like the Rokkor character more and more since I had the MC 85/1.7 and the recent MC 100/2. Color, contrast and specially bokeh are amazing. Like finding diamonds from the past

Sep 01, 2011 at 05:49 AM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #12 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Now I am curious about the Rokkor 100/2.5.
According to this site, there are 5 version of 100/2.5.

1968: MC Tele Rokkor-PF 100/2,5 -> replaced 100/2
1973: MC Tele Rokkor-X PF 100/2,5
1976: MC Tele Rokkor-X 100/2,5 -> new design, focus closer, smaller, one less element
1977: MD Tele Rokkor-X 100/2,5 -> MD update
1981: MD 100/2,5 -> smaller, built-in hood

Any of you have experiences with all these lens? What is the rendering differences between them?

Sep 03, 2011 at 06:56 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

I have the 1981 version and it is very small and a very nice little lens. I don't have any of the others, however, and I haven't converted to use on digital yet, so my only experience with it is on film.

Sep 03, 2011 at 12:38 PM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #14 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Thanks for the info Steve.

I just finished doing some comparison shots test between Rokkor MC 85/1.7 and the MD version. Hope I could find time to share the result (need to select pics, cropped, etc.). So far I like the MC than the MD though the MD is sharper.

Just wanna share the MD 85/1.7 shot ...

Sep 08, 2011 at 01:38 AM
tootalew
• • •
p.6 #15 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

I have the MC ROKKOR PF100 2.5, and I enjoy it. Just shot these out by the garden tonight.

Canon EOS 5D    50mm    f/2.0    1/320s    250 ISO    -1.7 EV  

Canon EOS 5D    50mm    f/2.0    1/60s    250 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5D    50mm    f/2.0    1/40s    250 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Sep 09, 2011 at 02:18 AM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #16 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

@tootalew: I want to try that lens too Could you shot the 'wheel horse' text at closest distance with that leaves as background? I wanna see the bokeh

Sep 09, 2011 at 01:28 PM
Velectron

p.6 #17 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Hi nixland,

Did you convert the 100/2 yourself? I recently got the 100/2 but not the MC version. No intention to convert as I think it is rather "sinful" to convert such a rare lens. But I did converted a MC 100/2.5 PF, the version that replaced the 100/2. There is also another super rare MC 100/3.5 which I just bought (but had not received it). Seems like there is even less info on the 100/3.5 online than the 100/2!

These are some shots showing the bokeh of the MC 100/2.5 PF at either F2.5 or F4 (can't remember). Not the best of shots though

Sep 09, 2011 at 03:33 PM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #18 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Velectron wrote:
Hi nixland,

Did you convert the 100/2 yourself?

I took it to the local lens repairman to convert it.

Velectron wrote:
I recently got the 100/2 but not the MC version. No intention to convert as I think it is rather "sinful" to convert such a rare lens.

Yes, I know that. And I already send an apology at my post in page 4. But do not worry because I love this lens so very very much that I plan to keep it forever

Velectron wrote:
But I did converted a MC 100/2.5 PF, the version that replaced the 100/2. There is also another super rare MC 100/3.5 which I just bought (but had not received it). Seems like there is even less info on the 100/3.5 online than the 100/2!

These are some shots showing the bokeh of the MC 100/2.5 PF at either F2.5 or F4 (can't remember). Not the best of shots though

Thanks for sharing the info & some bokeh samples.

I bet the f2.5 is sharper than the older f2

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:18 PM
Velectron

p.6 #19 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

You are welcome. Wide open the 100/2 is probably less sharp but I think the bokeh should be smoother. So far I have only tried it with a glassless adapter (so no infinity focus). The DOF is really thin at F2!

If you want to try the 100/2.5, I would suggest you get the MC version. The MD version is kind of difficult to convert because the aperture control lever within the lens does not move in a circular arc like the MC version, but in a parabolic arc. You would need to retain the internal mechanisms and shave the lens mount to convert it.

BTW...were you the one who bidded close to a thousand for this lens on Ebay recently?

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:40 PM
nixland
• • •
p.6 #20 · ROKKOR Telephoto Image Thread

Velectron wrote:
You are welcome. Wide open the 100/2 is probably less sharp but I think the bokeh should be smoother. So far I have only tried it with a glassless adapter (so no infinity focus). The DOF is really thin at F2!

BTW...were you the one who bidded close to a thousand for this lens on Ebay recently?

Nope. I bought a Buy Now item for about $450.
By the way after I bought that lens I checked the price of Rokkor 58/1.2 and I was suprised that they were more expensive than the rare 100/2 MC.
That's why I consider my 100/2 lens as my soulmate lens Waiting for so long and finally got it at unbelievable price.

Sep 09, 2011 at 04:55 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password