Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              13      
       end

Archive 2010 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

nixland
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.14 #1 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Bifurcator wrote:
Do you have a decent drill-press and a small/medium sized square?

Unfortunately I don't have it Bif.

May 11, 2012 at 03:11 PM
LightShow
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.14 #2 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Should I go for the MD Rokkor 24 or MC Rokkor 21? I'm thinking the 21 on my NEX-7 will be more fun.

May 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.14 #3 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

LightShow wrote:
Should I go for the MD Rokkor 24 or MC Rokkor 21? I'm thinking the 21 on my NEX-7 will be more fun.

probably, but the 24mm is a better performer from everything i've seen.

May 20, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.14 #4 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Yeah, comparing an MD to an MC is usually not useful - like you did in the recent purchase thread. MD lenses are almost always awesome! Not too many MC lenses are any good. I dunno the 21mm tho, it might be an exception.

Nixland,
I have something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drill-Press-Central-Machinery-8-with-1-2-Chuck-and-5-speeds-/140753996133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c5978965 but that came with a 2-way tilt vice all for $50 I picked up at a used shop. (I have a computer controllable one I got for about the same but you'll not likely find one like that for any kind of reasonable price). With various stones and bits I think it's useful for things like you're wanting to do. Some people here have been successful using sandpaper on a hard flat surface by just constantly rotating the lens but that's kinda risky if you ask me. Not to mention that it's nowhere near as fun as setting up and using power-tools... like that press.

Anyway, you should be able to find one at a used hardware shop (with vice) for about $50. They's small enough to easily store in a closet if you don't have a garage or something.

May 20, 2012 at 04:58 PM
briantho
• • •
p.14 #5 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Bifurcator wrote:
Yeah, comparing an MD to an MC is usually not useful - like you did in the recent purchase thread. MD lenses are almost always awesome! Not too many MC lenses are any good. I dunno the 21mm tho, it might be an exception.

Bif, I don't know where you got that info, but if you look around the net, people say some of the MC lenses are sharper than their MD counterparts. The MD:s were apperently produced using cheaper materials and glass. Coating should be slightly better on MD lenses, as it's a newer generation, but I doubt MD:s are always better (sharper) than MC:s.

As for Rokkor 21mm f2.8... I don't like it. But that's because I compare it to the Contarex Zeiss 21 Biogon. The Biogon has unmatched clarity and is amazingly sharp, (although with purple corners), the Rokkor... well, I'd actually guess my NEX kit zoom at 21mm does better on a NEX. It's also smaller and free with camera purchase. The Rokkor looks good on a collector's shelf though

May 20, 2012 at 07:05 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.14 #6 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Bifurcator wrote:

I would call that bs.

The 24/2.8 MC and MD (E55) are optically the same, the MD might have a bit better coatings, but i don't think that that the difference is that noticeable.
Same goes for the 16/2.8, 28/2, 35/2.8, 50/3.5 Macro, 100/3.5 Macro, 135/2.8 late MC, early MD, 200/4.
I prefer the MC 50/1.4 to the MD 50/1.4, the MC 85/1.7 has much better bokeh than the MD 85/2, and is reported to be as sharp as the MD from f/2.8 on. The legendary 58/1.2 existed as MC only.
I think not any one of the later MCs (rubberized focusing barrel) could be called a bad performer.

Edited on May 21, 2012 at 06:39 AM · View previous versions

May 20, 2012 at 08:52 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.14 #7 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

I missed out on a nice MD 24 on the bay, it was bid up while I was working, the 24 seems to be uncommon, and I'm not sure what the going price is.... Hey Biff, have one for sale?

May 20, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.14 #8 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Not right now no... I have the 28/2.8 for sale tho.

May 21, 2012 at 01:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

LightShow
• • • •
p.14 #9 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

I already have the 28/2, thanks

May 21, 2012 at 03:05 AM
nixland
• • •
p.14 #10 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Bifurcator wrote:
Nixland,
I have something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drill-Press-Central-Machinery-8-with-1-2-Chuck-and-5-speeds-/140753996133?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c5978965 but that came with a 2-way tilt vice all for $50 I picked up at a used shop. (I have a computer controllable one I got for about the same but you'll not likely find one like that for any kind of reasonable price). With various stones and bits I think it's useful for things like you're wanting to do. Some people here have been successful using sandpaper on a hard flat surface by just constantly rotating the lens but that's kinda risky if you ask me. Not to mention that it's nowhere near
...Show more

Thank you for the suggestion Bif. It's very interesting to try. And I have infinity problem too with my EOS-converted FD 85L and FD 50L due to the thickness of the adapter ring I think.

But I never do a machine stuff before; need to learn it first
So the sanding gonna be like this ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcdXt7gx4Cw

May 22, 2012 at 09:34 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.14 #11 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Something like that. But depending on the exposed surface I might wanna secure the work and bring down the bit. But yeah there are many great tutorials which teach creative ways to think and use tools like drill presses and such. So that's a right move IMO... Nice!

May 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM
LeadyGonzales
• •
p.14 #12 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

hi,

against the sun with MD rokkor 28mm 2.0 on 5D2

- L.

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:17 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.14 #13 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Great shot LeadyG, what about a BW version with high structure/lowkey - still as dark?

Jun 04, 2012 at 10:20 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.14 #14 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

28/2 wide open:

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM
jakeblues

p.14 #15 · ROKKOR Wide/UlW Image Thread

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I would call that bs.