Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2004 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

artemisphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

I am having a dificult time deciding between 3 1GB CF cards or 3 2GB microdrives for very close to the same cost. This media would be used to shoot weddings primarily. Suggestions?

May 12, 2004 at 02:06 PM
milleniumd
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

ill prefer to have many smaller size media, you know crashes happens

imagine losing 2 GB of a wedding photos?

May 12, 2004 at 02:13 PM
artemisphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

You make a good point. I think I will stay with a 1GB CF...even if it is nearly double the cost.

Edited by artemisphoto on May 13, 2004 at 06:32 PM GMT

May 12, 2004 at 05:18 PM
massive
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

i hear microdrives are pretty fragile.

i'd go with the CF cards.

May 12, 2004 at 05:21 PM
camey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

The fragility is overrated, I've dropped mine several times and they are still working perfectly three years later. I do agree with the previous post that 1GB is more than big enough so I would go with something like a 1GB Sandisk Extreme or UltraII, both faster than a microdrive (in the right camera) and also lower power consumption.

B&H have these for $249 and in stock right now, also have the UltraII for $219. At that price compared to the microdrive it makes the solid state cards look pretty good.

May 12, 2004 at 05:27 PM
clintsmith
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

let a friend borrow my MD the other day and he had some corrupt images. It is one year old. Hardly use cause I worry about it failing.

May 12, 2004 at 09:49 PM
Mr Pixcel
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

I only use Compact Flash no moving parts to fail. I use 4 1gb cards.

May 12, 2004 at 09:59 PM
xichlo
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

buy the CF card, I have a 4G MD fail during the shoot. but no image lost at all.
Anh

May 13, 2004 at 08:27 AM
rudiger
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

I stick to smaller CF cards - if I drop a card, no lost images... even if one of my 512mb CF cards gets run over by a car I don't loose the entire day of shooting

May 13, 2004 at 11:36 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

I own and use a 4gig MD and have had no trouble so far. I never squeeze the sides, only the edges and be very careful with it. The Hitachi brand seems to be the most reliable.

I also own 2-256cf cards, 2-512cf cards and 3-1gig CF cards. They are what gets the most use.

My thiughts are to have 2-1gigCF cards and one 2gig MD (Hitachi IMHO). Try using the 1gigs for most needed shots and the 2 gig (well looked after) for the less critical shots (i.e. CFs for the ceremony and MD at the reception in a wedding). I have not yet suffered a loss but it is a potential with any thing you use.

Regards.

May 13, 2004 at 11:51 AM
bstrle
• • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

I have 4-1GB Lexar Pro cards and two 1GB IBM microdrives. I almost exclusively use the Lexar cards as the Microdrives are WAY slow in write speed on my Nikons especially shooting NEF's....Plus the fragility issue.....Anyone want to buy TWO 1 GB IBM microdrives? :-)

May 13, 2004 at 12:10 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

milleniumd wrote:
...you know crashes happens

imagine losing 2 GB of a wedding photos?

This brings up a good concern, but I'm curious, has anyone ever had a solid state CF card crash to the point where they could not recover the files on them?

May 13, 2004 at 01:53 PM
milleniumd
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

i always use CF, i have only 2 256, getting 2 more and a 512 soon, only time i lost photos a entire 256 MB card(72 photos) was when my gf overwrote the card when transfering to the laptop

May 13, 2004 at 02:41 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

Assuming gf is "girl friend" I'm wondering how she overwrote the card while transferring? Anyone else ever lose images from a solid state CF card?

May 13, 2004 at 03:16 PM
clintsmith
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

wjmeyer wrote:
Assuming gf is "girl friend" I'm wondering how she overwrote the card while transferring? Anyone else ever lose images from a solid state CF card?

not by my doing, but my assistant told me she copied a card to the laptop once and I formated the card, only to find out later that she only copied one folder!

May 13, 2004 at 03:50 PM
wjmeyer
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

Clint, your little emoticon is hilarious for the situation you described. Did you have any of the recovery software that is now available for recovering deleted files off of CF cards? (SanDisk ships software with their Extreme versions and Lexar ships it with their Pro version CF cards). It was my understanding that the software that ships with these cards is specifically designed to recover lost and deleted files off CF cards...

May 13, 2004 at 05:40 PM
milleniumd
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

wjmeyer wrote:

my digi rebel makes a folder on the card and inside saves the photos she open both folders (the camera and hd one ) both have the folder named the same instead of coping the camera folder she copied the HD folder and pasted it on the card then she hit ovrwrite simple eh

May 19, 2004 at 11:26 AM
alfredfrancis

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

Microdrive is like a "mini"-harddrive... it has moving parts and has a higher risk of losing your data. Just like my laptop harddrive... I'd rather backup my pictures on a CDR or DVD-R that has no moving parts.

May 19, 2004 at 05:34 PM
prez
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

On a Canon 10D, what is the fastest media to use?

May 19, 2004 at 11:05 PM
RonR
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Compact Flash vs. Microdrive

Greetings,

If you are interested in comparing write speeds of different CF cards visit the the following site:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6111

Best Regards,

Ron

May 20, 2004 at 06:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.