New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2004 · switch to a Leica 2?

nutek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · switch to a Leica 2?

I'm currently using a D30 SLR with a few lenses (see sig), having moved up from a film SLR to a Powershot Pro90 before going to the D30. However, I find myself having less and less fun taking photographs. It's becoming a chore to bring such a heavy bag of camera equipment (I only bring selected lenses out on a trip, not all of them.. but it's still very heavy) out every time and then get bogged down with the hassle of changing lenses, filters, etc in the field. Plus I have to spend so much time converting the RAW images and tweaking them up (WB, sharpening, etc) during post-processing. Somehow the joy isn't there any more as compared to the days when I had minimal equipment. I'm not a pro, so I keep wondering why I try to keep up with all the L fever as well....

Now having seen the review on the Leica Digilux2 on dpreview, I am thinking of selling off my Canon system just to have one camera instead. The Digilux seems fast enough (in terms of operation and usability), and I think I can live with the noise levels... Am I crazy to do so? It's just that I want to have something light, yet is capable enough (operation speed, quality, etc) for moments of creativity when I do get them...

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

May 12, 2004 at 12:24 AM
chris78cpr
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · switch to a Leica 2?

Keep the canon gear and buy a more compact camera! Try using it for a month or so and then rethink if you want your canon gear!!! It will be a costly mistake if you sell it all and then realize you are not getting what you want from your all in one!!!

Try taking your photography in a new direction, set yourself mini assignments, enter the monthly and weekly assignemetns here, or give it a break all together. Dont give up on it and i really cant reccomend selling the canon gear!!!

Chris

May 12, 2004 at 12:44 AM
Daschund Woof
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · switch to a Leica 2?

Wenyao,

Whatever works for you... The main point of photographing is to have fun (unless that's your job), so if you're not having fun because of the equipment you have, change it! If you have more fun with a point and shoot, or with a Holga, or with a pinhole, or, God forbid for the users of this forum, a Nikon, that's what you should get!

If you can get the Leica 2 and keep your gear for a little bit, then I'd suggest you do that, this way you can make sure that's what you want before you go ahead and sell all your gear...

Hope this helps!

Daschund

May 12, 2004 at 12:57 AM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · switch to a Leica 2?

Keep the D30 and get something smaller to take with you everywhere. Pretty soon, you'll be tired of your pocket cam, and want to take the D30 out again!

The Leica at $1800 seems like a complete ripoff. The picture quality is no better than the Canon G5, and those could be had for around $400 now.

May 12, 2004 at 01:05 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · switch to a Leica 2?

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I had used a few compact point and shoots before (Canon A60 , Kodak DX6340, Canon G3/5 and Sony V1) but none of them measure up in terms of operating usability and image quality as compared to the DSLR. That was why I though the Leica2 might be a good "compact" camera to go to since it resembles a DSLR the most. Unfortunately it is beyond my budget to have both D30 and Leica at the same time, so I'll have to make a choice that I won't regret later..

wenyao

May 12, 2004 at 01:07 AM
sdai
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · switch to a Leica 2?

I agree with Dasch, Wenyao ... but trust me, dpreview has no clue what a great Leica is ... I had the Digilux 2 for 5 days, with not more than 80 pictures ... very disappointed and returned it to the dealer ... not to mention the picture quality, but the operation, useability - none of these worth a little while - write to SD card is pretty slow, much less intuitive menu and push buttons than anything comparable digicams which costs 1000 dollars less at least ... there's no useable filter for this little guy ... weird 69mm diameter and Leica accessorized polarizer and even a plain UV will cost another 150 bucks ... very low resolution EVF makes focusing extra difficult ... low contrast / brightness LCD screen absolutely useless in bright sunshine ... and the lens hood falls off - but hey, if what you're after is the Leica moniker, then go for it ...

May 12, 2004 at 01:12 AM
stan23
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · switch to a Leica 2?

Wenyao,

Have you at all considered the Canon Pro1?

May 12, 2004 at 01:13 AM
sdai
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · switch to a Leica 2?

By the way, I almost forget the biggest flaw of the digilux 2 - there is no RAW buffer.

May 12, 2004 at 01:19 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · switch to a Leica 2?

Hi,

stan23: Yes I did. I had the Pro90 IS before, and thus was very keen when the Pro1 came out. However the reports of the slow AF and electronic zoom put me off though I must admit it is a very attractive package to consider too.

sdai: Thanks for your inputs. I'm not really after the Leica brand (The Panasonic LC1 would do fine too), but you did bring up some points which I have not considered before..

wenyao

May 12, 2004 at 01:23 AM
sdai
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · switch to a Leica 2?

Actually, if I were in your position ... I would snap a LC1. The images from the LC1 has way more contrast and color rendition is more pleasing, very well saturated.

May 12, 2004 at 01:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

KIDERAL
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · switch to a Leica 2?

I have the pro 1, and I really don't like it. I have had the Nikon 5000, and Nikon 5700 and while I don't like their flashes, the cameras are much easier to take pictures with and sturdier.

Plus my Pro 1 has noticable viginetting at 50mm and I also do not like the auto focus algorithm. it always seems the lens is catching on something when the camera is turned off.

It could be that I have not taken the time to read the manual and figure out if these problems are correctable, but I am tempted to go out and get a Nikon 5800.

Here is a link to full size image taken at about 100 mm equivalent. The exif says 20mm but that not converted to 35mm equivalent.

www.kideral.com/imagetemp/Pro1.jpg

Careful it is 2.6 megs...

I took this picture to compare the 1D, D30, Pro1, 400f2.8 and 100-400L. i have not reviewed everything, but this is one of the Pro 1 pictures... Look at the degradation at 100%. I think it is pitiful to be honest...

May 12, 2004 at 01:36 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · switch to a Leica 2?

do you mean the degradation in the foreground grass? That's weird... I seem to have the same type of image quality with my D30 and the 17-40L.

See www.andrew.cmu.edu/~wenyao/download/CRW_6688.jpg
especially in the foreground grass as well.

This was taken at 17mm, f/5.6, 1/125s, converted using C1 using 150/1 sharpening, High Quality JPEG. Am I missing something here.. or is this not the typical image quality of a D30 for landscape/high-detail shots?

May 12, 2004 at 02:06 AM
KIDERAL
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · switch to a Leica 2?

My gripe is the upper left hand corner. A triangle of it is darker than others... the sky was uniform... sometimes I get it in all four corners....

May 12, 2004 at 02:44 AM
Paul Kierstead
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · switch to a Leica 2?

Here is a possible experiment:

- Quit using filters
- Quit shooting RAW. Shoot JPEG. If you want, crank up the sharpness. Otherwise, make a photoshop action to sharpen and use batch actions
- Carry *only* the 17-40 and the 70-200.
- Stick to P mode.
- Don't post-process if you don't want to.
- Remove the grip if you are using it.

From that kit, you will basically be at the level of effort of a P&S. A little heavier, and have to change lenses once in a while. If you have a friend with a wide range zoom like the 28-135, try that out for a bit.

This will cost you nothing and remove most of the annoyances.

As to post processing like WB, etc., the Digilux won't change that. Some camera's are a better at it then others, but none are perfect, so how much post you do will be largely up to you. One thought is that if you do prints, then let the lab correct instead of you. This is what happened in the "old days" of film

May 12, 2004 at 03:11 AM
mflaherty
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · switch to a Leica 2?

I recently acquired the Olympus 8080 to replace my Olympus 5050 as a point-n-shoot camera for times when I don't want or need a DSLR. It's a "class act" and superior, IMHO, to the Leica. And, it's a heck of a lot less expensive, too.

I would suggest holding onto your DSLR equipment until you're satisified with your new point-n-shoot. Otherwise, moving back into a DSLR will cost you a ton of money. Good luck with your decision.

May 12, 2004 at 04:02 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · switch to a Leica 2?

I really don't see why people are so excited about this camera. It's just another freakin' point and shoot digicam with horrible noise, a very narrow dynamic range, and extremely digital looking fine detail. You can give it a body made of solid gold, but it's still going to produce crappy photos with that tiny sensor.

Now if they put a full frame sensor in this camera, it would be another story. Heck, I'd even consider one..... but I don't see why the Leica fans are going nuts over this point and shoot.

May 12, 2004 at 05:18 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · switch to a Leica 2?

It never ceases to amaze me how much Leica can charge for something with its name on it, and how many people will line up to pay it. Charging $1800 for what amounts to a Panasonic P&S with a tiny, noisy sensor is tantamount to swindling, except that when it's a Leica, it becomes a pride of ownership issue.

I was profoundly unimpressed with that camera. The Pro1 was a nicer camera, and I don't exactly have a high opinion of that $1000 camera. The fact that the Digilux2 is inferior in almost every respect and STILL costs close to $2000 almost upsets to me the point where I am almost personally insulted. When I find myself looking through an LCD viewfinder, I actuall was insulted...

The Leica name carries a lot of weight in the M-rangefinder series and in historically fine optics, but their overpriced point and shoot cameras perform no better than 8MP point and shoots that are less than half the price. If you want a Leica, get a used M and a 50mm lens and understand what the lineage really all about; mechanical perfection, great optics, and great pictures under just about any condition.

If you want a nice point and shoot camera that will give you great pictures with less work, there are so many competent choices. You are going to be hard pressed to find something that matches a dSLR, but you need not pay as much as a dSLR one get something that is not capable.

Arka C.

May 12, 2004 at 05:51 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · switch to a Leica 2?

I just bought a second G5 (after selling the first in disgust). After carefully re-reading the reviews and aquiring PSCS I decided to buy another to use in purely RAW mode at 50 ISO. I felt this would probably be the cheapest way to have a decent travel camera with enough manual control, hot shoe etc - and most importantly RAW! I almost always use the viewfinder instead of the LCD (I hate composing with the screen) and live with the foibles, results can be really very good though (at 50 ISO anyway)

The new one seems a lot better than the first one and PSCS gives me loads of control over the RAW file I didn't have before. The dpreview Leica review had the G5 right up there for quality and it has a (reasonable) RAW buffer - VERY cheap now too on ebay. It has the advantage of taking the same battery and CF cards as my 10D and really isn't as bad as I thought it was if used as described.

Just a thought.

David

May 12, 2004 at 05:59 AM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · switch to a Leica 2?

nutek, you might want to take a walk over to Luminous Landscape where Reichmann has taken a run at all these contenders. He has a three part series on the Digilux 2 and all the 8MPs. Really interesting is "8Megapixel Alternatives".

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/

I have the Pro 1 for the same reasons you are considering it. Having accepted all it's supposed faults, I'm getting some really good images out of it - and above all HAVING FUN AT IT. It's a fun challenge.

May 12, 2004 at 10:11 AM
JamesGreen
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · switch to a Leica 2?

Daschund Woof wrote:
...If you have more fun with a point and shoot, or with a Holga, or with a pinhole, or...

I just picked up a Holga this week - glad we agree it was for the right reasons

May 12, 2004 at 10:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password