New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · E-TTL flash with DOF

nutek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-TTL flash with DOF

Is there a way to obtain a larger Depth of Field when using P-mode? I get this problem when taking a group of people seated around a circular table - those people falling under the focussing point will be correctly focussed, but those front or rear to them will be out of the depth of field. When in P-mode I get usually F4.0 and 1/60s, and if I use AV mode, the shutter speed drops too much to stop any human motion. Do any of you have a solution to this problem? Thanks!

May 05, 2004 at 11:45 PM
geir
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-TTL flash with DOF

Have you tried to use manual mode with flash ?? (or set the CFn that sets shutter speed in Av with flash to 1/200 - assuming the camera has that..)

May 05, 2004 at 11:58 PM
corvus
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-TTL flash with DOF

I'll second that. I'd try Manual on 1/60 at f/11 and see what happens. Let the flash do the rest. You might be surprised.... Let us know how that works

geir wrote:
Have you tried to use manual mode with flash ?? (or set the CFn that sets shutter speed in Av with flash to 1/200 - assuming the camera has that..)

Edited by corvus on May 05, 2004 at 09:02 PM GMT

May 06, 2004 at 12:02 AM
meggieprice

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-TTL flash with DOF

Higher iso comes to mind!

May 06, 2004 at 12:02 AM
drumminj
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-TTL flash with DOF

if you use AV mode, the shutter speed is set to properly expose the background, and the flash will expose your subject properly (whatever's under the focus point).

You'll have to use either manual mode, or P mode. I think you can turn the dial in P mode to scroll through the different program settings - which may allow for you to have the aperature stopped down a bit more. I never use P mode, though, so I'm not sure.

May 06, 2004 at 12:05 AM
geir
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-TTL flash with DOF

drumminj wrote:
if you use AV mode, the shutter speed is set to properly expose the background, and the flash will expose your subject properly (whatever's under the focus point).

Unless you set the camera to 1/200 in Av mode with flash... CFn.6 on my D-60... Then it will do whatever aperture you set, 1/200 and compensate with flash. But manual mode probably works just as well...

May 06, 2004 at 01:09 AM
JohnM
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-TTL flash with DOF

Set the camera to manual & whatever F stop you want, I never use anything but M for indoor flash shots for exactly that reason.

Outdoors, I use AV for fill flash.

-John

May 06, 2004 at 03:09 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-TTL flash with DOF

hey, great! thanks for the advice... both the M and AV with 1/200s works well.

May 06, 2004 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.