Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2658      
       2660              4227       4228       end

Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2659 #1 · p.2659 #1 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Most of you have heard of Joe McNally the photographer who works all around the world. Well I was reading an article on his site about lenses and decided to message him on FB to ask if he ever used MF lenses anymore. I also told him about our little project with Nikki.

I was VERY surprised this morning to see that he replied! Here's what Joe had to say:

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 05:19 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Zichar
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2659 #2 · p.2659 #2 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Now next time Chin, hop on that forklift and take it for a spin around town!

Haha funny you should say that
That thought has struck my mind countless of times
Not this one, but in the same facility, two units down, is a warehouse for electrical appliances
Usually heavy duty air conditioning equipment, compressors, tubs and piping
The driver leaves the keys in so any worker can conveniently use the forklift for his own purposes
Safety and security isn't so big there I suppose

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2659 #3 · p.2659 #3 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Most of you have heard of Joe McNally the photographer who works all around the world. Well I was reading an article on his site about lenses and decided to message him on FB to asked if he ever used MF lenses anymore. I also told him about our little project with Nikki.

I was VERY surprised this morning to see that he replied! Here's what Joe had to say:

Too cool

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2659 #4 · p.2659 #4 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Followed my wife back to her old school
Lost a bit of flavour now that it's been refurbished
Looks like any other modern school building

flowerbeds (Roll 4668 015) by Zichar, on Flickr

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM
montym
• • • •
p.2659 #5 · p.2659 #5 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Georg - I love the portrait in your last set.

Curtis - Very nice bokeh play in the music store.

Monty - Nice of you to pop in!

I stop on whenever on 16mm finds its way on my camera.

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:02 PM
MarkdV
• • •
p.2659 #6 · p.2659 #6 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

I wish I had time to comment on all the amazing pics up this weekend. Chin, Ben, Monty, Tony and the rest, very great pics and very inspiring.

I have managed time to actually get behind the camera, it wasn't looking good this weekend (too much beer yesterday) but things cleared up and managed to get a couple on the 55mm. This really is a lens that the more I use the more I like. One is of how amazing this lens is at extreme close ups even without tubes and the other is of a amazing sky photo to compare to how the 28mm does and I have to say it handles and compares pretty well.

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:26 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2659 #7 · p.2659 #7 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin - I really like the simplicity of the schoolroom image. It lends itself well to that processing.

Mark - You have discovered what a lot of us have about the 55mm, it's a great all around lens.

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:42 PM
Zichar
• • • •
p.2659 #8 · p.2659 #8 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Thanks Leighton. I personally find that b&w film is suited to scenes with prominent shadows
Here's another of the school hall:

c+c (Roll 4668 014) by Zichar, on Flickr

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:57 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2659 #9 · p.2659 #9 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Zichar wrote:
Thanks Leighton. I personally find that b&w film is suited to scenes with prominent shadows

how do you scan your b&w film? I have the hardest time getting anything decent off my black and white negatives. I'm using Vuescan on a CoolScan 4000 ED, and it seems the threshold to get some proper contrast from a black and white negative is very narrow. It almost leaves me no room to adjust and a lot of my scans are just flat, even though the negs are really popping. Been searching the web for a proper workflow recommendation but so far haven't found anything that works, so my B&w negs are staying in their sleeves.

Mar 10, 2013 at 02:26 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2659 #10 · p.2659 #10 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Chin, I love your graphical work, as we see above. You have a keen eye for possibilities and do an excellent job preparing the image for presentation. This is definitely a winner. Excellent work.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2659 #11 · p.2659 #11 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Ok we have nice old stuff in Europe. But my kind of photography is "life" and one can shoot street scenes everywhere in the world. One of the very best photographer I've ever seen is an american from Boston : http://www.stevemarkphoto.com/
This guy is an artist : I would be very happy with just 10% of his talent (and 2 weeks of vacation in Boston....)

Looking at the photo of the guy I have to smile. With muscles like that he's like the 500 pound gorilla who sits anywhere he wants... Doing the kind of shooting he does, it likely helps that he is a physically imposing presence. And yes, his work is excellent. If I were to characterize the difference between your work and his I'd say first that he's found a distinctive black and white palette that he applies to all his work. I can't help but wonder whether your increasing use of black and white is as much influenced by Steve as by Monty's work. You continue to use both color and black and white in your work. Secondly, he is very focusing at the margins of society while you tend to work in more elegant settings. I image you can find gritty neighborhoods though you may feel as uncomfortable shooting in such settings as I would. Wearing a tank top with heavily muscled arms and a baseball cap turned backward probably works better than any other "uniform."

My intention when Nikki arrives is to spend a few days in San Francisco and do some street photography. I enjoy doing that kind of work, and did a fair amount of it when shooting with my Canon gear. The challenge is there are few venues in sleepy Marin where one can do such work without being confronted by some unhappy people. One needs crowded streets with people on the go. And you do that kind of work very well Philippe.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:16 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2659 #12 · p.2659 #12 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

pburke wrote:
how do you scan your b&w film? I have the hardest time getting anything decent off my black and white negatives. I'm using Vuescan on a CoolScan 4000 ED, and it seems the threshold to get some proper contrast from a black and white negative is very narrow. It almost leaves me no room to adjust and a lot of my scans are just flat, even though the negs are really popping. Been searching the web for a proper workflow recommendation but so far haven't found anything that works, so my B&w negs are staying in their sleeves.

Philip - are you scanning from negatives? If not I've had our local "photo shop" save my results to a disc and then I've processed them in PSE with acceptable results. I don't have the facility to scan negatives adedquately thus it hasn't been a problem.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:32 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2659 #13 · p.2659 #13 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MarkdV wrote:
I wish I had time to comment on all the amazing pics up this weekend. Chin, Ben, Monty, Tony and the rest, very great pics and very inspiring.

I have managed time to actually get behind the camera, it wasn't looking good this weekend (too much beer yesterday) but things cleared up and managed to get a couple on the 55mm. This really is a lens that the more I use the more I like. One is of how amazing this lens is at extreme close ups even without tubes and the other is of a amazing sky photo to
...Show more

Mark the flower is delicious - well done

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:33 PM
Oosty
• • • •
p.2659 #14 · p.2659 #14 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

leighton w wrote:
Most of you have heard of Joe McNally the photographer who works all around the world. Well I was reading an article on his site about lenses and decided to message him on FB to asked if he ever used MF lenses anymore. I also told him about our little project with Nikki.

Just fantastic. Shows the man is human - we tend to forget that our heroes also have to put their pants on, one leg at a time, in the morning. Glad to see he recognises quality in a lens too

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:35 PM
designdog
• •
p.2659 #15 · p.2659 #15 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Lessons learned.

So, for my birthday trip to Williamsburg (actually on the spouse program for my wife's law firm meeting) I abandoned my Nikon D700 and all those MF lenses in favor of traveling light with the Fuji X Pro 1 and 3 primes. Bad move.

The camera performed flawlessly, and the images are very sharp with great dynamic range. However, walking down the main drag in Williamsburg, at 1:00 in the afternoon on a sunny day, tends to result in highly contrasted very bright images with very little interest or warmth. Might as well of had my wife's X100. They all look like some tourist snaps.

One thing I did learn, is that 50mm is too close and 28mm is too wide. 35mm, if I had one, would have been just right. Also, the Fuji lenses, with their sexy looking lens hoods and rubber snap on covers, are difficult to change, despite their small size and weight. Things kept falling off. I will admit the camera and the Hadley Small look damn good and got lots of looks.

Any recommendations for a Nikon 35mm?

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 03:45 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2659 #16 · p.2659 #16 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Just fantastic. Shows the man is human - we tend to forget that our heroes also have to put their pants on, one leg at a time, in the morning. Glad to see he recognises quality in a lens too

Yea, that was my thought as well. As big a name in the photography world he has and yet he took the time to reply. One more thing, if you want to know how to use a flash he's the man! He's doing videos for Adorama now and they are really useful.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:43 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.2659 #17 · p.2659 #17 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

designdog wrote:
Lessons learned.

So, for my birthday trip to Williamsburg (actually on the spouse program for my wife's law firm meeting) I abandoned my Nikon D700 and all those MF lenses in favor of traveling light with the Fuji X Pro 1 and 3 primes. Bad move.

The camera performed flawlessly, and the images are very sharp with great dynamic range. However, walking down the main drag in Williamsburg, at 1:00 in the afternoon on a sunny day, tends to result in highly contrasted very bright images withf very little interest or warmth. Might as well of had my wife's X100. They all
...Show more

David, I've learned that lesson and I dare say most on this thread have. If you're going to invest in a DSLR system then why not take it everywhere! My theory is not to trust important trips by trying to go light. YMMV.

There's really only one answer IMHO on which 35mm. The 35mm f1.4 AI-s and I don't even own it. I'm judging by the fantastic images I've seen in this thread from the folks who have it. Now...if I were to choose an AF 35 it would most probably be the new Sigma 35/1.4.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:50 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.2659 #18 · p.2659 #18 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

The 35 f/2 is all its iterations is not exactly chopped liver, but the f/1.4 is a breed apart if one wants to stay with MF Nikkor lenses. It has exceptional color and contrast. Yes, the bokeh wide open can be a touch jittery as we find with the 28 f/2 and 50 f/1.2. But it is definitely workable. The f/2 is much less expensive lens and if one is not looking for pronounced bokeh, it will do quite nicely. I had no intention to upgrade from the 35 f/2 AI-s I bought early in my MF days, but stumbled on a pristine copy of the 35 f/1.4 AI-s for a fair price and couldn't resist. I tend to prefer 28mm for street photography so the 35 doesn't get a great deal of use.

Mar 10, 2013 at 03:57 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.2659 #19 · p.2659 #19 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Oosty wrote:
Philip - are you scanning from negatives? If not I've had our local "photo shop" save my results to a disc and then I've processed them in PSE with acceptable results. I don't have the facility to scan negatives adedquately thus it hasn't been a problem.

I scan the negatives. Each strip I have to calibrate, but I suppose that is how it needs to be done to be accurate. There are a few thousand negs in my files I want to scan, but each needs cleanup (the auto dust removal doesn't work on neg film), so I do about a dozen every couple of month before I realize this is futile. I just scanned a few more, and they do look decent. Looking at these scans makes you appreciate even a 6MP sensor when you see how grainy 100 speed T-Max was in 1990, while we now know the lenses I used can do much better.

Peter

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:13 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2659 #20 · p.2659 #20 · Manual Focus Nikon Glass

My first try with a tube(pK-13) on the 80-200 4.5 C Auto. Really nice working distance with this combo.

NIKON D800    0.0 mm f/0.0 lens    200mm    f/4.5    1/640s    200 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Mar 10, 2013 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password