FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

Quick comparison shots of a darter dragonfly taken with either a Tamron90/40D or 5Dmk2/MPE-65 with TC on front. I made no attempt to equalize settings just took shots as I would with the separate cameras. Not suprisingly there is quite a bit of light loss with the TC on the front of the MPE-65 so they are at higher ISO and wider aperture.
Overall I thought the MPE-65 +TC shots compared pretty favourably with the Tamron shots. The TC was mounted backwards on the front of the MPE- this seems to work better than the other way round.

Brian V.

Darter dragonfly taken with 40D/Tamron 90mm

Darter dragonfly taken with 5Dmk2/MPE-65 with TC on the front

Aug 12, 2010 at 02:18 AM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

I would have to agree with you, Brian. They do look comparable. I should receiving my Telemore TC tomorrow. Hope to post some comparisons myself.

What's the shooting distance and where is the MP-E set magwise w/TC attached? If you please.

Kenny

Aug 12, 2010 at 03:39 PM
lextalionis
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

Good question Kenny...nice find Brian...the setups are certainly in the same league.

-Roy

Aug 12, 2010 at 03:51 PM
eosuser2020
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

What is the take away from this observation? MPE65+65 is $1000 setup whereas Tamron 90 is $500 setup...Seems like buying Tamron is a smart decision..if 1:1 macro is the only objective...am I right?

Aug 12, 2010 at 03:57 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

Other than a drop off in contrast/color and sharpness they look relatively comparable. I'd love to see a few more comprehensive tests in a controlled environment using a highly detailed subject with plenty of contrast and color In any case that is a very interesting finding--I wonder if you are the first to discover it...

Aug 12, 2010 at 04:55 PM
remus
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

How is possible to get the whole darter body shooting with the MP-E 65?Am I missed something?
Brilliant both versions BTW!
Be well,
Remy

Aug 12, 2010 at 04:57 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

eosuser2020 wrote:
...Seems like buying Tamron is a smart decision..if 1:1 macro is the only objective...am I right?

No one--to my knowledge--has ever said that buying a Tamron macro lens was a waste of money.

Kenny

Aug 12, 2010 at 08:54 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamron90mm vs MPE-65 with TC on front

Thanks for the comments

Kenny - re the shooting distances - I didn't really note them but think they were roughly the same or perhaps slightly further away with the MPE +TC.

EOS user - the only reason for the interest in this may be purely personal. When I'm on a rare field trip I tend to take only one camera and that is the Tamron setup. I do not swap lenses with my MPE-65 setup to help reduce dust problems. Using the MPE-65 with a TC on front would enable me to take that rig which is better suited for around 90% of the subjects I might find but would also mean I could take emergency shots of larger subjects should the need arise.

Remy - placing the right TC on the front of the MPE-65 increases the focus distance and reduces the magnification - you can just about achieve infinity focus like this. I've been looking for a way to do this for a little while as an emergency add-on. been a few posts about this- see

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/922899

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/925116

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/924853

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/925579

Brian v.

Aug 13, 2010 at 01:15 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.