FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

Archive 2010 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Khun Hans wrote:
Sebboh, some good pics here. On which cam are you using the FD?
Hans

thanks, all the shots except the sunset bench shot were taken with an olympus e520 - i modified the lens mount for 4/3. the bench shot was taken with a sony NEX after i reversed my mount mod.

Aug 21, 2010 at 09:38 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

sebboh wrote:
#1 and #5 from the last post actually go together as part of a ~180° panorama. i'm still working on getting the color right on the pano but here's the first thing photoshop spit out when i gave it the shots (apologies for the scrolling):
this lens is currently tied for 1st place as my favorite panorama lens.

I can see why. That's already a very engaging pano. Once you're done, I imagine it will be breathtaking. Out of curiosity, what's it tied with? My two favs are both Leicas, the 35 'cron and the 280/2.8 APO.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

freaklikeme wrote:
I can see why. That's already a very engaging pano. Once you're done, I imagine it will be breathtaking. Out of curiosity, what's it tied with? My two favs are both Leicas, the 35 'cron and the 280/2.8 APO.

it's tied with the nikkor 105mm f/2.5. i never intended to use the nikkor as a landscape lens when i got it but i've been very impressed with it in that capacity. the only leica lens i have is the 350mm. i always wanted to try it for panos because i like the color from it. it seems a bit to long on crop cameras though - the one time i tried it i was just magnifying atmospheric distortion with no real advantage over a shorter lens. maybe i should try it again outside of the city.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:42 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

sebboh wrote:
thanks, all the shots except the sunset bench shot were taken with an olympus e520 - i modified the lens mount for 4/3. the bench shot was taken with a sony NEX after i reversed my mount mod.

The Pano is just an exceptional composition. Wonderful that clarity, sharpness and colours. Though I don't trust the 4/3 sensors much I'm surprised by your photography.
( Using FD lenses on the EP-1 only in good light conditions)
Hans

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:02 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Khun Hans wrote:
The Pano is just an exceptional composition. Wonderful that clarity, sharpness and colours. Though I don't trust the 4/3 sensors much I'm surprised by your photography.
( Using FD lenses on the EP-1 only in good light conditions)
Hans

thanks, i'm not a huge fan of the 4/3 sensor either but it is fine in daylight with a sharp lens. the in body image stabilization and 2x crop factor are very useful for birding on a budget though (the reason i bought the camera).

Aug 22, 2010 at 12:39 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

sebboh wrote:
it's tied with the nikkor 105mm f/2.5. i never intended to use the nikkor as a landscape lens when i got it but i've been very impressed with it in that capacity. the only leica lens i have is the 350mm. i always wanted to try it for panos because i like the color from it. it seems a bit to long on crop cameras though - the one time i tried it i was just magnifying atmospheric distortion with no real advantage over a shorter lens. maybe i should try it again outside of the city.

I've heard the 105 is great. I had one on loan for a bit, but like the slacker I am, didn't use it much before I had to give it back.

You should give the 350 a shot. I bought an extra-long Kirk plate which has the dual purpose of helping get the optical center and it extends far enough that I can cradle it in my hand while using my thumb and fingers to focus. Anyway, I posted a small pano sample for you in the R thread. Very sharp lens. It's negatives are the CA and vignetting (+33 in LR on a full-frame at f/11). Still, amazing lens. The full resolution, 16-shot pano of my hometown is a 14.87g image after cropping.

Aug 22, 2010 at 01:18 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

freaklikeme wrote:
I've heard the 105 is great. I had one on loan for a bit, but like the slacker I am, didn't use it much before I had to give it back.

You should give the 350 a shot. I bought an extra-long Kirk plate which has the dual purpose of helping get the optical center and it extends far enough that I can cradle it in my hand while using my thumb and fingers to focus. Anyway, I posted a small pano sample for you in the R thread. Very sharp lens. It's negatives are the CA and vignetting (+33 in
...Show more

i'll have to give the 350 a proper pano test next chance i get. i do love the lens in general except for the CA (haven't had any difficulty with vignetting since i've only used it on crop cameras).

i highly recommend giving the nikkor 105 a shot, even if you already have a zeiss or leica 100mm the nikkor is much smaller and from the images i've seen it has a better drawing style for portraits. it is just generally a great lens especially for the price (mine was $80) my only complaint about it would be the mfd and the flimsy built in hood.

and to get back on topic here's a wide open shot from the FL 55mm f/1.2:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4568231190_422299038d_b.jpg

Aug 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

very liked your pics, sebboh, especially coming from the old 55/1.2. who would have thought it was so good!

Aug 29, 2010 at 04:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Edgars Kalnins wrote:
very liked your pics, sebboh, especially coming from the old 55/1.2. who would have thought it was so good!

thanks, i don't think there are any dogs among the f/1.2 lenses from that era.

Aug 29, 2010 at 06:00 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Khun Hans wrote:
FD 85mm 1,8, 1/125, ISO500, Converted from ORF in CS5,
Freaklikeme, Tip: I change the file nr. in EP-1 starting with the FL of the lens.So you can see always which altern. lens you have used.
Hans

Good tip, Hans. Thanks for that. How did things work out for you with the screen hood on the E-P1? I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, but there are times when it's invaluable.

Great shot, too. That's a heady amount of detail. The 85 looks like a keeper.

Aug 31, 2010 at 09:37 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Does anyone have any experience with the FD 14L? I'm curious about the lens, but can't stomach the prices I've seen and don't know anyone who owns one. If you've got a copy, please share some samples so that I may live vicariously through you.

Aug 31, 2010 at 09:39 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

freaklikeme wrote:
Good tip, Hans. Thanks for that. How did things work out for you with the screen hood on the E-P1? I don't use mine as much as I thought I would, but there are times when it's invaluable.

Great shot, too. That's a heady amount of detail. The 85 looks like a keeper.

Thanks, Brad. The screen hood doesn't really work for me too. What I really need/like is a viewfinder. If no news from the Photokina I will go for the EP-2.
Hans

Edited on Aug 31, 2010 at 11:01 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:24 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Amazing shots everyone. Sebboh, thanks to you, my next lens purchase is a 55FL 1,2 to send to Jim to convert it to EOS! I just picked up a Zuiko 24mm 2,0 so I will need to wait a bit..

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

HBOC wrote:
Amazing shots everyone. Sebboh, thanks to you, my next lens purchase is a 55FL 1,2 to send to Jim to convert it to EOS! I just picked up a Zuiko 24mm 2,0 so I will need to wait a bit..

thanks! that is a wonderful compliment.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:36 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

HBOC wrote:

Thanks, Dustin. Hope we can keep it going here Keep on posting pics, guys.
Hans

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:46 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Khun Hans wrote:
Brad, meanwhile I turn off any NR in the EP-1 shooting RAW because in CS5 I get much more details out than the cam NR does. Not for family stuff etc. in JPEG.
Here a shot with the FD24/2,8 at 1/350, ISO 200, converted in PS.
Hans

Arrgh. I really am that stupid. Thanks, for the reminder, Hans. I turn it off first thing in the Canons but didn't even think about it here.

Another nice shot, BTW. It looks like Canon didn't make a bad FD 24.

Sep 06, 2010 at 10:07 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Thanks to sebboh, I'm thinking about getting a set of FL lenses, I also love the look & feel of the built like a tank vintage glass.
19 F3.5 R FL
55 F1.2 FL
85 F1.8 FL
135 F2.5 FL
If any one can post some sample images or just comment on them,
that would be great, thanks.

Sep 26, 2010 at 09:36 PM
Empire
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

I heard that the Fl 85/1.8 is an unusual design - different style to most 85's
the samples I've seen on flickr show it to be a nice lens.

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Khun Hans wrote:
FD 85mm 1,8, 1/125, ISO500, Converted from ORF in CS5,
Freaklikeme, Tip: I change the file nr. in EP-1 starting with the FL of the lens.So you can see always which altern. lens you have used.
Hans

I love that market shot! Very kewl!

Sep 30, 2010 at 07:09 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Canon FL/FD/LTM/EF Images

Here's the FD 85mm 1.2L on the GH1 in 100% crops - with very light processing (only curves mostly with just a tad sharpening):

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Canon_FD_85mm-f1.2L/_1020446.jpg

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Canon_FD_85mm-f1.2L/_1020441.jpg

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Canon_FD_85mm-f1.2L/_1020438.jpg

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Canon_FD_85mm-f1.2L/_1020435.jpg

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Canon_FD_85mm-f1.2L/_1020434.jpg

http://tesselator.gpmod.com/Images/_Image_By_Lens/Canon_FD_85mm-f1.2L/_1020433.jpg

Sep 30, 2010 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.