Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

Undefined One
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

So, when I went to use my camera today, it wasn't autofocusing. The AF switch was in the AF position (I toggled it a few times, checking). However, my 10D wasn't autofocusing. I changed lenses, still not focusing. I played around with the focus mode (One Shot/AI Servo etc.), still wouldn't focus, played with the active AF point, same thing. I switched the shooting mode to full automatic, and lo and behold, it focused! It ended up focusing fine in any of the automatic "program" modes but none of the "creative" modes. Hm, ok, strange, but at least it's not a mechanical failure.

Next, I did a reset of the camera's settings. Still no focus. Then I reset the camera's settings (again) followed by resetting the custom functions (which I omitted the first time). Finally, it worked! It once again will autofocus in the "creative" modes.

Now, I could go off thinking that it was a strange glitch and that since now it works all is well and good, but if I were a cat I'd have died numerous times. I'm curious - what could have caused this? I don't know of any custom functions that would have that effect, and I hadn't changed any from the last time it was working properly. Anyone know what could have happened? (Latest firmware, and it's not an old camera, I got it new recently.)

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2004 at 07:32 PM
BrianP
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

I am not saying that this is it, but I had a similar experience the other day. For the most part, I couldn't get the camera to autofocus or act like I was using the shutter release in any way. It was driving me crazy. I checked the AF/M switch, and about anything else I could think of. I then found that it started working sometimes. This whole experience lasted about 3-4 minutes, but it felt like much longer when the camera wasn't working. I then paid enough attention to realize that it was only the shutter release on the vertical grip that wasn't working. I remembered the little switch that lets you shut it off. I flipped it back on, and presto everything worked again. As you can probably guess, I never turn the grip off. The night before a friend of mine was using my 200 f/1.8 for a minute and was very awkward to say the least. I had to keep helping him with how he was handling the lens/camera. He wasn't used to handling a lens this big, and I think he accidently flipped the switch.

I don't know if this could be the case for you too, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Apr 24, 2004 at 08:22 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

it happens to my oldest lens, the 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 II sometimes after I use it in wet weather.

Flip the AF switch a couple of times, unmount the lens then remount it. I think one probable reason is dirty contacts.

Apr 24, 2004 at 08:33 PM
Undefined One
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

BrianP: Thanks for looking, but no, I don't even own a battery grip. The shutter release was working in that it let me take shots, but it wouldn't focus with a half-depress.

nutek: Thanks for the info, but in trying to solve the problem, multiple lenses failed to focus. I did manage to get it all working again by resetting the camera's settings, so dirty contacts weren't it. I'm just curious what could have gotten set in the camera that would have caused this in the first place.

I just had a thought, maybe somehow the custom fuction to move the focus actuation off of the shutter release had been changed, but certainly not by me (not intentionally anyway!), and nobody else has been using my camera, so if that was it I don't know how it got flipped...

Apr 24, 2004 at 08:39 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

Dirty contacts?

CF4 got changed?

Minimum focusing distance switch set to the higher value, and the lens is set to shorter than that distance?

All things to check when this occurs.

Apr 24, 2004 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Canon 10D
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

Since it works fine after resetting the custom functions, I would guess that u might had accidentally changed C.Fn-04 to 1, where auto focus works by pressing the * button.

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:47 PM
Tulsa Hockey

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

Mine has done that when the camera got cold from the ice rink. I have had very similar experiences with it. Seems like after warming it up a bit it was fine.

?

Apr 24, 2004 at 10:53 PM
Undefined One
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

DavidP and Canon 10D: More and more I'm guessing I inadvertently switched that custom function, but I still don't know how - it's not like I switched it and forgot about it, since I have no reason or want to switch it in the first place. Is it possible a glitch occurred? It's not like it's easy to accidentally change those custom functions, but I suppose it's possible...

DavidP and Tulsa Hockey: That's good info to know, but alas, those couldn't have been it either, since I don't own any lenses with focus limiting switches and I was nowhere near cold temperatures anytime recently.

Thanks for the info guys, it's most likely that it was that custom function but I still have no idea how...

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:12 PM
DavidP
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

Gremlins.

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:35 PM
Aaron Brown
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 10D Not Focusing? (Solved but curious)

I recently borrowed/checked out a 10D from the newspaper I do freelance for and it did the same thing, no focusing. Knowing a little bit about the 10D already I checked out CF4, and sure enough that fixed it.

Before this about 3 months ago my Rebel did the same thing, no focusing, and I was a little perplexed. Turned out the DOF button was somehow stuck, the lens was wide open so I didn't notice the viewfinder was any darker. Pushed the DOF button a couple of times to get it to unstick. It hasn't happended since, but that's usually one of the first things I check, besides AF/MF switch.

Apr 24, 2004 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password