Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              178      
       180              323       324       end

Leica R Series Lenses

rico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.179 #1 · p.179 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

Agree with Michael. The lens has a long throw, and I can detect variation in friction based on position and direction, but only at the anal level. Touch is light overall because of the internal focus design. The filter is secured by (I believe) spring-loaded ball bearings, and I have no looseness or gaps. If your lens has clean glass, and delivers optically, keep it. Lubrication breaks in with use, and you can get mechanicals tweaked in the next service call.

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:17 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.179 #2 · p.179 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

A question about integral hoods:

I have a 180/3.4 that has an extremely stiff, damped, feeling when extending the hood, and the hood feels rock solid when extended. I just got a 180/2 which feels a fair bit looser when extending the hood, and whose hood can rock back and forth a bit (not nearly as much as some Nikkors, but a bit) when extended. Is this normal?

Mar 11, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Almass
• • •
p.179 #3 · p.179 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

Integral hoods on R lenses have a mind of their own.

Some are normal, few are stiff and many are loose.

Unless you have the lockable one which is the best!

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.179 #4 · p.179 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lee Saxon wrote:

I have a 180/3.4 that has an extremely stiff, damped, feeling when extending the hood, and the hood feels rock solid when extended. I just got a 180/2 which feels a fair bit looser when extending the hood, and whose hood can rock back and forth a bit (not nearly as much as some Nikkors, but a bit) when extended. Is this normal?

Sometimes it can help.

All R-hoods have on the inner surface the felt pad, which provides the necessary friction.

You can try to moisten it with water a bit and move the hood many times, to remove excess water. Felt pad inside of the hood is completely dry in a week. Then often the hood moves much more freely.

This advice at your own risk, of course, do not need to put the lens into the shower

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Roni1948

p.179 #5 · p.179 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

Random question: I've got a summicron 50mm, and it's in great condition, so I want to get a filter for it to cover the front. B&H sells some filters online: Hoya 55mm for $20, Zeiss for $60 and Leica for $100. Recommendations? Should I even bother with a filter for front element protection? Thanks!

By the way: great community here! Once I start shooting with my setup, I'll be sure to share

Mar 11, 2013 at 05:15 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.179 #6 · p.179 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

The front element is recessed so I wouldnt bother.

Mar 11, 2013 at 05:26 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.179 #7 · p.179 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

Roni1948 wrote:
Random question: I've got a summicron 50mm, and it's in great condition, so I want to get a filter for it to cover the front. B&H sells some filters online: Hoya 55mm for $20, Zeiss for $60 and Leica for $100. Recommendations? Should I even bother with a filter for front element protection? Thanks!

By the way: great community here! Once I start shooting with my setup, I'll be sure to share

Recommendations? No any filters

Mar 11, 2013 at 05:38 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.179 #8 · p.179 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

Roni1948 wrote:

The question of whether or not to use protection filters has been the subject of endless heated forum debates; there's no one "accepted" answer that everyone agrees to. A lot comes down to personal use habits with lenses: do you often shoot in blowing sand or saltwater spray? Do you dangle your lens un-capped while scrambling through dense brush? If the filters or front elements on all your other lenses are still pristine and unblemished, then you probably don't need the protection anyway. If your other lenses regularly get grime-encrusted and battered, then a bit of extra protection might be useful. Adding a protective filter doesn't help image quality; in most cases, it does no harm either, but in the wrong circumstances can add extra flare/haze. The "protective insurance" value of filters isn't worthwhile if you aren't bashing up lenses fast enough to save one $500 lens for every ten $50 filters.

Mar 11, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Roni1948

p.179 #9 · p.179 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Cool thanks everyone!

Mar 11, 2013 at 06:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.179 #10 · p.179 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lee Saxon wrote:

Mine rocks if you push it, but stays put if you don't touch it...

Mar 11, 2013 at 07:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.179 #11 · p.179 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

rico wrote:
Agree with Michael. The lens has a long throw, and I can detect variation in friction based on position and direction, but only at the anal level.

That must be a fairly painful test method. Do all of your test photos look like colonoscopies?

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:07 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.179 #12 · p.179 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

freaklikeme wrote:
That must be a fairly painful test method. Do all of your test photos look like colonoscopies?

Something to think about before buying another "thoroughly tested" used lens...

Mar 11, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.179 #13 · p.179 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
Mine rocks if you push it, but stays put if you don't touch it...

Yeah, same here. Sounds like it's fine. It's a lot more stable than my Nikkor AI-s 105/1.8, 135/2, and 180/2.8, but my 180/3.4 doesn't have even a smidge of play so I just wanted to make sure this was normal.

Thanks

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.179 #14 · p.179 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

some photos, Summicron-R 50/2 E55.

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:08 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.179 #15 · p.179 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lee Saxon wrote:
Yeah, same here. Sounds like it's fine. It's a lot more stable than my Nikkor AI-s 105/1.8, 135/2, and 180/2.8, but my 180/3.4 doesn't have even a smidge of play so I just wanted to make sure this was normal.

Thanks

So, have you done any shots with this lens yet? Apparently it was designed for portraits, which is one reason it has such a short MFD.

Mar 12, 2013 at 07:58 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.179 #16 · p.179 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
So, have you done any shots with this lens yet? Apparently it was designed for portraits, which is one reason it has such a short MFD.

Tragically not, it arrived the day after I sent my camera off to Nikon for some minor repairs and CLA. I couldn't wait though: I've rented a D800E for the weekend. I'll have some good stuff for you next week

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM
leonasj
• •
p.179 #17 · p.179 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

R Apo 280/4@f/4 on D700:

leonasj 2012

Mar 13, 2013 at 08:43 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.179 #18 · p.179 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Lee Saxon wrote:

Thanks

Well, mine is as solid as the 70-180 APO which also has plastic hood. I hardly use this lens and so did the previous owner. (I guess) Don't you think it's too shallow for useful portraits? The only thing I could think of it is stage photography.

Mar 13, 2013 at 09:00 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.179 #19 · p.179 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

phuang3 wrote:
Well, mine is as solid as the 70-180 APO which also has plastic hood. I hardly use this lens and so did the previous owner. (I guess) Don't you think it's too shallow for useful portraits? The only thing I could think of it is stage photography.

Wouldn't that depend on the portrait? Yeah, you're probably not going to get much in focus on a frame-filling headshot wide open, but give yourself a little more room and you can get full sharpness of a subject surround by beautiful OOF area. The focal length and speed can come in handy for large-stage shots, but for black box or club stage shooting, I'd go with something closer to a 135 on a FF DSLR. The 180 would be handy for weddings and indoor sporting events where you've got some room to move.

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:21 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.179 #20 · p.179 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

180@f/2 at headshot distance will probably be pushing it for DoF / focusing ability. But I prefer "quarter-length" portraits anyway.

Mar 13, 2013 at 06:27 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password