FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8       end

Archive 2010 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

bacilonur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

You can't totally blame Paul, there are lots of people on here who try to tell him how to run his business, which is what makes him give all the reasons why he can't, which will inevitably include some politics.

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:21 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

photomarvin wrote:
I think the real issue is Paul should be on here to talk about his lights and not politics.

I read all through my posts on this thread and found no mention of politics or political slant.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM
dbaphotography
• •
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I'd sure appreciate it if we could limit discussion on this thread to the original topic - a review of the new Einstein 640.

Thanks to all.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM
Bryan Beasleigh
• •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

While Paul may lash out at detractors who can really blame him. They follow and bait him for the least little excuse. They try to turn many threads into a peeing contests for little reason. The man is successful and good at what he does, he produces a product that's produced and serviced in north america. The pricing is very reasonable and his warranty and customer service is amazing. He is producing a lower priced product with much more value added than really should be expected and there will be mistakes. PCB's answer to mistakes is honorable and all about customer service and satisfaction.

When he does drop the occasional bombshell is it real or just retaliation against poorly behaved and antagonistic people.

I don't like his stated politics but i respect the man and what he's doing for the field not to mention the local economy. I'd even bet that he'd respect my views as well.

I own no PCB products and I'm certainly not a fan boy. I do however strongly dislike s*iiiiit disturbers and trouble makers who make every ones life a bloody misery for their own entertainment.

Apr 21, 2010 at 01:15 PM
jwboring
• •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I don't like his stated politics

I can't find any politics either.

Apr 21, 2010 at 01:58 PM
photomarvin
• • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

jwboring wrote:
I can't find any politics either.

This is taking this in a bad direction again, but Paul has made some very bold political statements in some of his posts. It is not about what Paul has said in one post, but how he repeatedly behaves unprofessionally in a public forum. Having said that, when he stays on topic he has provided a wealth of information to Paul Buff customers about his products. You either like the way he conducts himself or you don't...

btw, to the OP...great review...thanks for taking the time!

Apr 21, 2010 at 02:04 PM
jwboring
• •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

how he repeatedly behaves unprofessionally in a public forum

I have been reading this forum almost every day since Fall 09 and pay pretty close attention to Paul's post because I'm a customer. I remember 2 cases where he got a little testy but nothing I would characterize as unprofessional. Anyway, I hate to see this forum bickering back and forth like this.

Eager to read more about the Einstein so I'll get out the way now.

Apr 21, 2010 at 02:58 PM
Neuffy
• •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

We should start seeing a lot more reviews of these shortly. My own far-inferior-to-bacilonur shortly indeed ^_^

Apr 21, 2010 at 03:59 PM
derek walter
• •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Someone linked to his comment from a different thread. So this is all a waste of bandwidth

Apr 21, 2010 at 06:52 PM
flash69

p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I would seriously like to know how you get TONE from text on a screen. I see it like this, if you are a negative person you read everything in a negative light.

I don't think anyone really cares if 1 person does not buy the E640. I personally like it because I might get mine sooner!

I have to agree with the folks that posted above me. We are here to get information on the E640. This is a great product at a price that no-one can touch in both price and features.

Apr 21, 2010 at 08:23 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

"This is a great product at a price that no-one can touch in both price and features."

No such a thing. There are 3 things you need to consider when purchasing something. Price, quality, and delivery; you never get all three. Pick which two you want.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM
photomarvin
• • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I'll pick quality and delivery

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:57 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

As long as we are dealing in cliches Gregg, how's this one: there's always an exception to every rule.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Not cliche at all, sales and purchasing 101. Tell me when you've got it all?

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:09 PM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Mmmm, in the tech world I worked in it was technology, service, price. Pick two.

When I read the specs and the info here related to the E640 Tech is being delivered, PCB, Inc. has already established the customer service practices, and the price looks attractive.

As stated above, Exception to very rule. The E640 does appear to be that. :-)

(waiting impatiently for them to get to my pre-order number. :-) )

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:50 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

@Gregg: Honda Element.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:28 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

"As stated above, Exception to very rule. The E640 does appear to be that. :-)"

You might be right if you actually had one. And no one even knows if it'll hold up yet?

"@Gregg: Honda Element." Ha, good one. If you like driving an empty box you can hose out.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:32 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

And no one even knows if it'll hold up yet?

I've been running an Einstein for a few days now , firing it at full power every 5 seconds, for two hours at a stretch. So far so good.

The Honda Element is a great car, especially for a working photographer. Holds more than a Ford Explorer; handles really well; tight turning radius; is stable, nice sound system, and gets good gas mileage. Is it a Ferrari? No. the first thing they tell you at the dealership is the hosing out thing is a myth. My only complaint is that I wish the sound proofing was a lot better.

Apr 22, 2010 at 09:24 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Just did some quick testing with the Einstein at full power + 11" LTR (Long throw reflector, At a rough distance of 30-40 feet got a fairly tight beam around f/16 @ ISO 250. pix later !

I need to borrow an electronic range finder to get accurate light to subject distance.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Laser rangerfnders are fantastic - about $100 at Lowes. I use mine all the time.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM
       8       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.