Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       8              19       20       end

Archive 2010 · Einstein questions answered

myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Einstein questions answered

These lights are going to be BRILLIANT. I can't wait to get my hands on them, especially after I read that they can keep up with an 8 FPS burst... wow.

Apr 12, 2010 at 05:03 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Einstein questions answered

E-Vener wrote:
Well you could always include a little blurb about why the progression in names from Einstein to Feynmann!

Ellis, why on earth would I want to trade a great and appropriate name like Einstein for an obscure name like Feynmann? Surely you jest?

Apr 12, 2010 at 06:52 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Einstein questions answered

I do I do...

Apr 12, 2010 at 07:53 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Einstein questions answered

I took Ellis's suggestion for Feynmann as jest also, but he was a great man, and many of us do know the name and appreciate him and his legacy.

Apr 12, 2010 at 04:09 PM
muskydave22
• •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Einstein questions answered

Hey Paul I have a question for you. I am looking to do some motor driving for action sports with the Einstein, I pre-ordered 2 of them. I won't be shooting at 10 fps more around like 5 fps or so. What kind of power output do you think I could get at that 5 FPS or so? I read that at 8 fps you are getting somewhere around 40w/s i think? Correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

Apr 12, 2010 at 09:26 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Einstein questions answered

muskydave22 wrote:
Hey Paul I have a question for you. I am looking to do some motor driving for action sports with the Einstein, I pre-ordered 2 of them. I won't be shooting at 10 fps more around like 5 fps or so. What kind of power output do you think I could get at that 5 FPS or so? I read that at 8 fps you are getting somewhere around 40w/s i think? Correct me if I am wrong.

Dave

About 80WS for continuous 5fps. A little more if your doing bursts of 5-10 shots and can stand a little progressive loss of exposure from shot to shot.

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM
muskydave22
• •
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Einstein questions answered

Alright thanks Paul! I can't wait to get my Eintstein's!

Dave

Apr 12, 2010 at 10:48 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Einstein questions answered

The next Einstein should be called the Stephen Hawking. I will cover my Einsteins in wood grain contact paper. I will be able to tell them apart by walnut, mahogany, and persimmon.

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:14 AM
Jim_Escalante
• •
p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Einstein questions answered

Sava K said
I will cover my Einsteins in wood grain contact paper. I will be able to tell them apart by walnut, mahogany, and persimmon.

==========
SWEET now all I have to do is find scratch N sniff patches so I can scratch them and have them smell like different typed of wood!
jim

Apr 13, 2010 at 12:23 AM
mrscott

p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Einstein questions answered

Jim_Escalante wrote:
Sava K said
I will cover my Einsteins in wood grain contact paper. I will be able to tell them apart by walnut, mahogany, and persimmon.

==========
SWEET now all I have to do is find scratch N sniff patches so I can scratch them and have them smell like different typed of wood!
jim

==========

Scratch n' sniff... What about PoP n' Wiff?

Apr 13, 2010 at 01:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Savas K
• • • •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Einstein questions answered

Jim_Escalante wrote:
Sava K said

==========
jim

That has to be programmed into the Cyber Commander! Why go to the strobes? Scratch and sniff the Commander.

Apr 13, 2010 at 09:32 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Einstein questions answered

Paul,

Are there any plans to offer the domes with common color correction gels built in? 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 CTO and CTB would be an awesome start.

Apr 14, 2010 at 09:08 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Einstein questions answered

No immediate plans for this. The domes are made in China and they don't know how to color balance or coat Pyrex. We could do this in USA but the cost is very high.

Apr 14, 2010 at 09:20 PM
bkfink

p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Einstein questions answered

Paul,

When you say the price is high, are you talking $25 a pop, or scary high like $100+ per dome? If the price was even close to reasonable, these would damn handy.

Brian

Apr 15, 2010 at 01:30 AM
munzzzzzzz

p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Einstein questions answered

Given that the Einstein can already keep a constant color temperature across the entire range of flash output, would it be possible to make the constant color it's maintaining variable? In other words, could you add a feature so that you could set the color temperature to, say, 4500K, and it would keep it there regardless of the flash output, like it's currently doing at 5600K?

I understand that this would require extra development and wouldn't happen anytime soon, but if most of the color temperature correction is based off of firmware, it seems maybe it would at least be a possibility. If it was, what kind of color temperature range would it be able to reproduce?

This could potentially decrease or eliminate the need for gels (or domes with color correction built in) and I could see it as another big selling point in addition to everything you've already got going.

Apr 15, 2010 at 01:56 PM
Jeremy Reitman
• • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Einstein questions answered

brett maxwell wrote:
Paul,

Are there any plans to offer the domes with common color correction gels built in? 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 CTO and CTB would be an awesome start.

Wow...I was just thinking of asking this question. What a handy tool this would be.

Apr 15, 2010 at 04:38 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Einstein questions answered

brett maxwell wrote:
Paul,

I used to have Balcar gear which had this feature in a limited way. After awhile it was just easier to transport and use gels even if they were for coverng the face of a large softbox, but I get Brett's point which would be to color balance the Einstein in Action mode to other flashes. 1/8th CTO or CTB seems like a ridiculously small increment but I can see it being useful in theory.

Edited on Apr 15, 2010 at 06:34 PM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2010 at 06:31 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Einstein questions answered

Or industrial strength (heat resistant) velcro dots with matching gels. Gonna call Joe later today to see what the max temp is with the modeling light on full.

Apr 15, 2010 at 06:33 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Einstein questions answered

Max temp is gonna vary depending on how you are modifying the light. A reflector with a grid on it is a major heat sink for example no matter how good the cooling fan and airflow.

Apr 15, 2010 at 06:36 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.7 #20 · p.7 #20 · Einstein questions answered

munz wrote:
Given that the Einstein can already keep a constant color temperature across the entire range of flash output, would it be possible to make the constant color it's maintaining variable? In other words, could you add a feature so that you could set the color temperature to, say, 4500K, and it would keep it there regardless of the flash output, like it's currently doing at 5600K?

I understand that this would require extra development and wouldn't happen anytime soon, but if most of the color temperature correction is based off of firmware, it seems maybe it would at least be
...Show more

I would if I could but I can't (neither can Broncolor). The Full Power flash duration is established by the flashtube design, I could design a flashtube to produce 4500K, but it would have a really long duration and then couldn't be made to produce 5600 at anything but very low power via IGBT.

A lot of what Bron publishes sounds like magic, but isn't. Yes, they can adjust color and duration, but only on the same basis as Einstein does . . . you cannot set it to produce 4500K at full power, nor can you make it do 1/8000 or anything other than the specified 1/85 sec and native color temperature at full power. This is pure physics.

Apr 15, 2010 at 08:11 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password