Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              19       20       end

Archive 2010 · Einstein questions answered

bacilonur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Einstein questions answered

I pre ordered 5 AB Max 640's within 30 minutes of the announcement last June or July, so hopefully I'm in that top 100.

Mar 25, 2010 at 06:59 PM
RMS956

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Einstein questions answered

Yea, I think your on top somewhere bacilonur. I did my pre-order 30 mins after the Einstein pre-order page went up. So I'm back in line a ways(but I think I can see you )

RMS

Mar 25, 2010 at 07:14 PM
turbodude
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Einstein questions answered

bacilonur wrote:
I pre ordered 5 AB Max 640's within 30 minutes of the announcement last June or July, so hopefully I'm in that top 100.

me too! :

Mar 25, 2010 at 07:21 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Einstein questions answered

Boy after 4,200 posts and more debate than ObamaCare, I hope you guys will show us some awesome images

Mar 25, 2010 at 07:44 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Einstein questions answered

Paul, I'll take 3 (of the 12) beat up ones, if they still flash, and I can get them early and at a discount
You know, floor models are usually 60% off or something

Anyway, looking forward to the lights.

Mar 26, 2010 at 04:17 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Einstein questions answered

Paul - I have a set of CSR+ which plug into the line. I am using them with my X1600's. I was told by your tech guys that the uncontroled flash popping can come from a bad ground line or plugging into a power strip or with a flourscent light in the system. One of all those was true for me so problem was solved.

My question is do you know if the Einstein's with the newer style plug in CXRCV receivers be immune from any of these line issues?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 26, 2010 at 10:21 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Einstein questions answered

Cphoto1954 wrote:
Paul - I have a set of CSR+ which plug into the line. I am using them with my X1600's. I was told by your tech guys that the uncontroled flash popping can come from a bad ground line or plugging into a power strip or with a flourscent light in the system. One of all those was true for me so problem was solved.

My question is do you know if the Einstein's with the newer style plug in CXRCV receivers be immune from any of these line issues?

Thanks in advance!

Einstein should be completely free of any such anomalies. Great care was taken in this regard in the design.

Mar 27, 2010 at 01:10 AM
cathpah
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Einstein questions answered

photomarvin wrote:
just in time for Christmas

I kid, I kid....I'm sure they'll be out someday soon. Just hope people haven't been missing out on photo opportunities because they're sitting on their hands waiting for these lights!

Mar 27, 2010 at 01:11 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Einstein questions answered

Anyone not taking pictures because they're waiting for a strobe deserves to be missing out on photo ops

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:28 PM
cathpah
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Einstein questions answered

cineski wrote:
Anyone not taking pictures because they're waiting for a strobe deserves to be missing out on photo ops

haha...this is true. There are always some people out there who sit and wait for technology rather than shooting though.

sure as hell not me though!

Mar 28, 2010 at 01:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

adamdewilde
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Einstein questions answered

It's a good time to brush up on natural light photography
Reflectors can do wonders!

Mar 29, 2010 at 05:23 AM
shoebox9
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Einstein questions answered

If I decide to go for these, I doubt I'll lose a single dollar on the 2nd hand Ranger RX I bought 18m ago.

The PCB wireless setup will be so much nicer, but the strobes aren't even rated for a slight sprinkle... (discussed before, I know). I guess I could put them inside 50" Westcot Apollo thingys.

Mar 31, 2010 at 07:48 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Einstein questions answered

Can you give me an idea of a single image you will miss by having the Ranger and not the AB's?

Mar 31, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Einstein questions answered

A good photographer will not miss an image regardless of the equipment he owns or uses.

Apr 01, 2010 at 12:10 AM
joel_c
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff wrote:
Almost, but not quite. CC can meter each light separately, and/or can meter any group of lights (8 different groups - you put whatever lights in the group that you want - and it can also meter the whole set of lights that your camera will see when you fire. All metering is incident mode and is independent of other metering modes.

You can name each light IE Main left, Fill Right, Hair 1, etc.

In normal use, CC displays all 16 possible lights in terms of power settings and by the f stop you metered for each. in 16 channel
...Show more

This all sounds fantastic and exactly what I'm after. The problem I have is that I can only afford one Einstein to augment a couple AB800 and AB1600 units. For the next year or two I need to run a mixture of AB and Einstein. Is this remote functionality unique to the Einstein or will I be able to have this control with a combination of Einstein and AB? I understood that this would be possible with traditional AB units but just want to confirm.
Thanks!

Apr 01, 2010 at 02:14 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Einstein questions answered

joel_c wrote:
Is this remote functionality unique to the Einstein or will I be able to have this control with a combination of Einstein and AB?

I think the only issue is color cast w/ bees vs. no color temp change w/ Einstein units when you lower power. They all will work as you expect w/ the CC...

Apr 01, 2010 at 02:32 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Einstein questions answered

The color temperature VS power curve of AB and WL is exactly the same as almost all monolights, from the cheapest to the most expensive. There is a tendency on these forums to think Euro lights are somehow different the AB in this regard. This is only true with the ultra expensive power pack systems like Broncolr Grafit and similar.

I just did final tweaking on Einstein look up tables and the color is virtually constant 5600K from 640WS all the way down to 2.5WS, with both flash and modeling lamps consistent and accurate to 1/10f stop throughout the power range, regardless of AC input voltage.

Apr 01, 2010 at 04:59 PM
photomarvin
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Einstein questions answered

Paul I use both ABs and Profoto Compacts...the ABs definitely are more prone to color shift than the PFs...Both exhibit it but the ABs are worse when it comes to color shift.

Apr 01, 2010 at 05:54 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Einstein questions answered

Read this independent report. Profoto compacts have less power control range than AB, hence less color shift at minimum power. You have to consider the color shift VS a given power reduction. AB and WL exhibit the same power vs color curve as Profoto, Elinchrom and others - about 75-90 per f stop of power reduction. Do the math on the link and you'll see all three units do exactly this.

http://www.prophotohome.com/forum/lighting-equipment-technique/35618-profoto-vs-white-lightning-vs-elinchrom-results.html

Apr 01, 2010 at 07:23 PM
photomarvin
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Einstein questions answered

Paul - I would prefer to form my opinion from my own experience not that of others. I can tell you that my Profoto Compact perform better in every possible way to the ABs we use at the studio. Especially when looking at color shift. YMMV

Also I don't see ABs listed in that review...or am I missing something?

Apr 01, 2010 at 07:29 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password