FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              19       20       end

Archive 2010 · Einstein questions answered

bacilonur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Einstein questions answered

Brilliant. Thanks Paul! That's over twice as much as the B400/X1600 can do at 8fps.

Mar 16, 2010 at 02:45 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Einstein questions answered

The faster recycle per WS and the IGBT technology are responsible for the difference. I was very happy with what I got.

Mar 16, 2010 at 03:16 AM
Richard Ersted
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Einstein questions answered

"I then repeated the test at 8fps and 40WS (1/16 power) and fired a 12 shot burst. I got 12 recycle beeps and each shot is identical in exposure (within 1/20f) and color was exactly the same for each shot. A lot of fun - So, yes, Einstein is a speed demon in this use, and dead accurate."

Excellent!; thank you, Paul, for performing this test.

Mar 16, 2010 at 07:28 AM
RMS956

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Einstein questions answered

Yes this is wonderful news. It opens up many doors for high speed shutter/flash applications from the Einstein. Thanks Paul.
RMS

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Einstein questions answered

Paul,

I have been an extremely satisfied customer for over 25 years and I'm on your wait list for four Einstein’s. Currently I own four X1600's and have successfully synced them up to 1/3200 sec. using the new Pocket Wizard’s TT5 on my Canon 5Dmk2. Really neat!

Do you think I will be able to get those same results on the Einstein’s, or will there be an issue with the peak times on them?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Einstein questions answered

Cphoto1954 wrote:
Paul,

I have been an extremely satisfied customer for over 25 years and I'm on your wait list for four Einstein’s. Currently I own four X1600's and have successfully synced them up to 1/3200 sec. using the new Pocket Wizard’s TT5 on my Canon 5Dmk2. Really neat!

Do you think I will be able to get those same results on the Einstein’s, or will there be an issue with the peak times on them?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

You should still be able to do this with with Einstein in some form. But you won't get the ability for motor drive shooting just described because you will have to use a relatively high power setting, then throw most of the power away.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Einstein questions answered

Cphoto1954 wrote:

Depending on how tweakable they are, I'm not sure how well they'd work. The older bees generally had more flash duration unless you're firing the Einstein at full power. Definitely post when you get them since you're going to be a guinea pig

Mar 16, 2010 at 05:15 PM
munzzzzzzz

p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Einstein questions answered

Paul,

Do you have any feel for how even the light from the Einstein will be without a modifier? In other words, will the Pyrex dome over the flashtube help eliminate any hotspots, or would it still be comparable to what the Alien Bees lights put out?

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2010 at 02:35 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Einstein questions answered

munz wrote:
Paul,

Do you have any feel for how even the light from the Einstein will be without a modifier? In other words, will the Pyrex dome over the flashtube help eliminate any hotspots, or would it still be comparable to what the Alien Bees lights put out?

Thanks!

No comparison. Einstein dome completely eliminates hot spots - with or without reflectors, and what you see with modeling lamp is exactly what you get with flash. The modeling lamp with AB/WL is somewhat forward of the flashtube (same with most other monolights), and the diffuser makes the flash and model look identical.Lights that use bare 250Q lamps (RX600 and others) have really bad hot/coldspots and anomalies when used with high gain reflectors.

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:57 PM
CreV

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Einstein questions answered

what fstop do you get with and without the pyrex dome?

Mar 17, 2010 at 07:33 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Einstein questions answered

In the Einstein manual, the claim in "no light loss" caused by the dome. As soon as mine comes in I'll independently test that. But I suspect that if any it will likely less than 0.1 stop. Metering and exposures will tell the full story.

Mar 17, 2010 at 08:08 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Einstein questions answered

CreV wrote:
what fstop do you get with and without the pyrex dome?

The same.

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:07 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Einstein questions answered

Very glad to hear the Einstein will fire before full charge. While commercial work is a bit more forgiving, weddings benefit greatly as an almost properly exposed amazing moment is better than a perfectly exposed moment of blah.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:50 AM
photomarvin
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Einstein questions answered

just out of curiousity...has anyone heard of an update on Einstein?

Mar 24, 2010 at 04:44 PM
munzzzzzzz

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Einstein questions answered

Last update on the PCB tech forum was that the run of the first 100 was being made this week.

Mar 24, 2010 at 05:26 PM
tetrode
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Einstein questions answered

munz wrote:
Last update on the PCB tech forum was that the run of the first 100 was being made this week.

What became of the batch of 12 from last week?

Dave F.

Mar 24, 2010 at 07:53 PM
RMS956

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Einstein questions answered

I hope the 12 got put into the pre-order mix because according to PCB, they were "perfect".

See here: http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=358&start=10

RMS

Mar 24, 2010 at 09:25 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Einstein questions answered

RMS956 wrote:
I hope the 12 got put into the pre-order mix because according to PCB, they were "perfect".

See here: http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=358&start=10

RMS

They work perfectly, but are no longer new . . . they have been beat to pieces and been through torture testing with zero failures. The first real 100 are being built right now and have to be assembled and tested. Another 4000 are going into production right behind them.

Mar 25, 2010 at 01:19 AM
GeekChicPhoto

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Einstein questions answered

So I'm guessing at least another month or two before we actually see these out in the field?

Mar 25, 2010 at 01:05 PM
photomarvin
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Einstein questions answered

just in time for Christmas

Mar 25, 2010 at 01:11 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.