Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2010 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

Bifurcator
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

The subject is about the lenses listed here and my question was just why sharpen.

Edited on Feb 08, 2010 at 02:15 PM · View previous versions

Feb 08, 2010 at 08:03 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

bifurcator is just on a "my $200 p&s"-rush these days.. hide user and avoid the ensuing trollfest.

Feb 08, 2010 at 08:49 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.2 #3 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

Thank you for posting your test results! Much appreciated. I have been saving up for the ZE 100/2, but now when the samples (not just yours) are starting to come in I'm less sure that I really want one. I have found that I'm not so fond of high contrast lenses, so maybe it's best that I save the money for something else. It's too early to decide though.

Feb 08, 2010 at 11:25 AM
Jon Bader

p.2 #4 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

I've posted this in other threads but it does show the bokeh from this lens. Shot with D3S, ZF100 Makro at f2.8, minimal processing.

http://polemics-poems-pictures.blogspot.com/

Feb 08, 2010 at 11:52 AM
OneAnt
• • •
p.2 #5 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

The appeal in the bokeh for the 100/2 ...is both the preservation and transition in detail. Agreed that for some its a matter of taste and I hear that some even like tinned spagetti.

The 1st pic was enough ...look at the separation of the subject from the BG ...and especially note the canons on the left. For the L this has become a distraction as it lacks detail but is still in the scene.
In the next round Im looking at the door on the right, its still in scene but on the L its already turned soft.
The anchor pic was the clincher for me ...the windows are still a part of the composition but too much detail is lost to the L. I think that if your taste is for completely mashed backgrounds ..then maybe you should have a jar of vasaline in your bag ...along with the pantyhose.

For my taste the 100/2 has greater appeal. For Nikon owners we have the choice of the 85/1.4AF if we want to turn our backgrounds to mush, I challenge anyone to endure a bokeh thread of exclusively 85mm portraits, its like eating too much ice cream ...must be why they call it the 'cream machine' It is the preservation of detail that is the mantle for this 100/2.

Its also the case that regardless of taste you can soften an image but try going the other way.

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:03 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.2 #6 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

Now Jon thats not very nice ...Helena is going to be confused now.

...your picture 'The Ladies' ...are you sure? One of them looks like a bit of a tart

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:20 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.2 #7 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

OneAnt wrote:

He he! I'm in no hurry to decide though. Going back and forth, looking at samples etc. is part of the fun.

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:26 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.2 #8 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

Im back ...I showed the pics to my sweetheart ...sometimes not having all experts is useful ...I didn't say anything and she didnt know what she was looking at, she picked the zeiss each time ...her comment "it has kept the shadows" she said. smart girl my sweetheart.

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:28 PM
Jon Bader

p.2 #9 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

OneAnt wrote:

...your picture 'The Ladies' ...are you sure? One of them looks like a bit of a tart

Ouch, that was cruel; sadly, The Ladies have both gone to that kennel in the sky. I see your point but the Lady in question was just getting some air conditioning to the parts other breezes cannot reach; we were in the tropics and it got very hot there. Thanks for looking at my Blog. Jon

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:30 PM
Jon Bader

p.2 #10 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

OneAnt, I just noticed you are in Aussie; was working there in Sydney for a while until recently. I must say the dogs were a bit tarty down under, which explains your confusion about my Ladies! No worries. Jon

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OneAnt
• • •
p.2 #11 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

hahah ...here is mine http://exithere.zenfolio.com/p252194707 but I dont have your D3s (I saved your blog too, am coming to visit)

and before some wally calls OT ...they are all 100/2Makro

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:40 PM
Jon Bader

p.2 #12 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

I love your dog, he's a stunner, but get him contact lenses (Zeiss of course), that way the ladies can see his eyes better. We have a Boy now, Toffee, as you saw on the blog site - he's also very handsome but hard work. Looking forward to your visit, bring Bug.

Feb 08, 2010 at 12:51 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

My screen is not good. All look bad to me. I'll look at it later on another screen.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 08, 2010 at 01:11 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

ulrikft2 wrote:
bifurcator is just on a "my $200 p&s"-rush these days.. hide user and avoid the ensuing trollfest.

Hey! That kinda sucks dude! I asked a legitimate question.

Feb 08, 2010 at 01:54 PM
trajan
• •
p.2 #15 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

I'd love to see a comparison between the ZE 100/2 MP and the CV 125/2.5.

--trajan

Feb 08, 2010 at 02:29 PM
trajan
• •
p.2 #16 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

OneAnt wrote:
Im back ...I showed the pics to my sweetheart ...sometimes not having all experts is useful ...I didn't say anything and she didnt know what she was looking at, she picked the zeiss each time ...her comment "it has kept the shadows" she said. smart girl my sweetheart.

Isn't it possible that the vignetting on the 100 MP affects your perception of "the shadows"? The vignetting really works for the type of shots you made, with the subject right in the middle.

--trajan

Feb 08, 2010 at 02:31 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.2 #17 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

Bifurcator wrote:
Why are you sharpening lens samples?

You've added a lot of sharpening to all of these. How does that help anyone?

If I sharpen and stuff my $200 P&S can compete with all of these. Pretty close!

I used my standard setting for sharpness in LR (50/0.7/100). Personally I find it diffcult to judge the quality of a lens with 0 sharpening, at least with cameras with bayer-pattern and anti-aliasing-filter.
By the way without sharpening my 200$ P&S images look much better than my 5DII images (but the P&S has only 4.7MP and no bayer-pattern).

If you and some other people would really like to see the above pictures with 0 sharpening I could post them here as well.

Boris

Feb 08, 2010 at 07:06 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #18 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

That shot you took with the 85L with the yellow houses is terribly oversharpened. Thick white halos an all edges. Maybe that triggered bifurcator's remark. On the other shots it's not that bad. But sharpening definitely affects OOF rendition (and clarity (from LR) even more).

Feb 08, 2010 at 07:21 PM
JoeLeBlanc

p.2 #19 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

Has anyone addressed why the 85L's f/2 and f/1.2 images appear to be exactly the same? There should be a dramatic difference in bokeh, but there isn't.

Feb 08, 2010 at 07:28 PM
Bobu
• • •
p.2 #20 · 2.0/100 MP vs. 1.2/85L (bokeh test)

AhamB wrote:
That shot you took with the 85L with the yellow houses is terribly oversharpened. Thick white halos an all edges. Maybe that triggered bifurcator's remark. On the other shots it's not that bad. But sharpening definitely affects OOF rendition (and clarity (from LR) even more).

If this is the case, I can fully understand it. This was just an old oversharpend JPEG as a quick example. But since I still have the RAW of this picture I will generate a new version and then exchange to above picture.

Boris

edit: Above picture exchanged.

I'm sure, that sharpening is affecting the OOF rendition. That's the main reason for me to compare them with some sharpening. I never use completely unsharpened images, neither for web-presentation nor for printing (the only case is iStock). So the only thing that really matters for me is how they compare sharpened.

Feb 08, 2010 at 07:36 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password