New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Vacation lenses?

BurtR
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vacation lenses?

Just to make a few fellow people jealous after this harsh winter, I'm leaving on Saturday for a cruise out of San Juan. Aruba, Curacao (very colorful) St Marten and St Thomas

In the past I've taken a sigma 15-30 (replaced with a 17-40), 28-70 and my 70-200. Now the confusion starts, a few weeks ago I go the 85 1.8 and my new favorite lens 135 f2. Trying to think of the best combo for touring, beach and ship.

I'm only taking 3 and the 17-40 is a no brainer for the ship pictures and I will probably take the 28-70 because its a great lens but I'm tossed between the zoom and "wanting" to take the 135 with 1.4.

Any suggestions on uses and no I don't have room to take anyone else!

Burt

Apr 02, 2004 at 02:47 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vacation lenses?

Leave all the lenses except one and bring a date. If you bring along all that gear and a date, she probably won't like you after the cruise.

Edited by Gochugogi on Apr 02, 2004 at 08:47 AM GMT

Apr 02, 2004 at 03:17 AM
BurtR
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vacation lenses?

Sounds good but I don't think the wife would be to happy. Have to compromise thats why only 3 lenses!

Apr 02, 2004 at 03:25 AM
teriba
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vacation lenses?

Go with 2 dates and lose the wife then. :P

Apr 02, 2004 at 04:16 AM
teriba
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vacation lenses?

How much did you use your 70-200 while travelling before? I'm going on a Mexican cruise April 24th and was thinking about just taking my 17-40 and 50 1.4. Would this be a mistake? I'm thinking I might not use it much but I don't really know.

Apr 02, 2004 at 04:17 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vacation lenses?

I would say bring the zooms for travel. Unless it's a photographic travel where you have a lot of time to take photos or if you're going there for a second or third time and you know what you're going to photograph, zooms are more flexible and "faster". It might be very tempting to bring the primes, but you'll probably end up changing lenses more when you could have been taking pictures instead. Your L zooms should give sufficient quality to your pictures, so enjoy the trip instead

I usually just bring my 28-70 and 16 fisheye (and the 70-200 sometimes) when going somewhere where I have not gone before, and leave the primes at home for more specialized purposes.

That said, the 50mm prime is a good low-light lens to bring too, if you know there's going to be a lot of low-light scenes that you want to capture.

Apr 02, 2004 at 06:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

amirm
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vacation lenses?

I agree with Nutek. Everytime I take my primes on a vacation, I regret it. On my 10D (I leave the heavier 1Ds home), I love the 24-70. I bring the 16-35 also but rarely use it. Ditto for 70-200f2.8. Yes, it comes in handy but sure is a lot of weight to carry for the little use. I may buy the 70-200f4 and see if that works better for this appication.

Apr 02, 2004 at 07:42 AM
BurtR
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vacation lenses?

The general opinion is what I have used in the past. I really have not used the 70-200 that much and might just throw in the 135 to play with. Thanks for the comments.

Apr 02, 2004 at 01:14 PM
Kyle Yates
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vacation lenses?

If I could only keep one Lens it would be my 70-200 2.8 'L'. -- Yep I'd even let the truely magnificent 300 2.8 prime go -- it's not really suitable as "a general purpose" lens.

Take a 1.4 Tc as well (if you are taking a long zoom) -- and i'll probably get flamed for this but for a vacation the 28-135 IS actually does a far better job than its price / specification would indicate. -- It's not an 'L' lens but for a general purpose "walk around Lens" its fine.

I also would hate to go on a trip without some type of wide angle -- my favourite here is the 21 MM Zeiss -- but for a cheaper option the Canon 24 MM might be OK or the 17-40 which you already have.

Incidentally don't overlook the much maligned but very cheap 50 MM 1.8 --- You can always learn to Zoom with your feet again so this Lens can be surprisingly versatile -- and if it gets broken / falls over the side of the ship / gets sand in it etc etc it doesn't cost much to replace.

Happy Hols

Apr 02, 2004 at 01:35 PM
ballyhoo33
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vacation lenses?

Vacation...:hillbilly voice: is that there un of those thing you take yer wife/sister and see all type of purdy things :hillbilly voice:...

My 28-70 and 70-200 are with me all of the time and are typically both used on any given job I'm working on (wetland scientist doing field work). If I ever get to takea vaation those lenses will be with me and I may have to pick up a 17-40 or fisheye for wide angles.

Jeff

Apr 02, 2004 at 06:03 PM
dbarthel
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vacation lenses?

As the third lens take the 135+1.4x converter mounted on the lens so she won't notice the extra piece. Alternatively, get a Lowepro roller bag and bring it all Then you'll have some room when you shop duty free to hide the new goodies in the bigger bag

Seriously, the mid-size Lowepro roller is airline friendly and really nice to work out of.

Apr 02, 2004 at 06:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password