New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Skin Tones

nml
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Skin Tones

Hi All,

Can somebody point me to a link or source that has a Beginners guide to Skin Tone adjustment in PS?

I realize that much of it has to do with getting the correct exposure at the time the shutter is pressed, but I've got a long way to go. Seems I always wash the skin tones out (at least compared to the Breeze Browser generated jpgs) when I edit my files (raw or jpeg)---and yep, I'm pretty consistent....I can edit a decent photo right into the garbage.

Any simple and/or elementary description (suggestions) on skin tone treatment would be most appreciated......obviously I realize my entire editing of digital photos may not be worth much, but thought I'd post the question anyhow......

if it matters(which I guess it could), I currently use a 1d, varying lenses, BB for conversion, and PS7 for editing.....for printing....only small prints (8x10s or smaller) done at Sam's or Walmart.

TIA,
Mick

Apr 01, 2004 at 05:36 AM
Brian Hansen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Skin Tones

http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/skintones/tone1.htm

Apr 01, 2004 at 05:39 AM
rebel300
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Skin Tones

nice link brian...thanks

Apr 01, 2004 at 06:09 AM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Skin Tones

Brian Hansen wrote:
http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/skintones/tone1.htm

?? The tutorial is for coloring anime characters..

Apr 01, 2004 at 06:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nutek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Skin Tones

Hi Mick,

What kind of skin tone adjustment are you searching for? Do you mean bringing up an underexposed portrait image, or totally changing the hue of the skin color totally, or making the skin tone alittle warmer/cooler?

The best way to get accurate skin tones would be to use a white/gray card and custom-white-balance your images to eliminate any unwanted casts.

I find that gentle S-curves are best for dealing with portraits. The gentler the S-curves, the more subtle but more realistic the effect is. But it ultimately depends on lighting - I don't think there's any way Photoshop can rescue an image that has flat lighting (if that's what you are asking), or if it is severely overexposed, or if it has those specular flash highlights on the forehead/nose/etc.

Looking back at photos taken on ordinary Kodak films and processed by the local neighborhood photo store, I see that those pictures often have much better skin tones than most digitally captured ones. It puzzles me too, and I would like to see if anyone else has more answers and information. Thanks!

Wenyao

nml wrote:
Hi All,

Can somebody point me to a link or source that has a Beginners guide to Skin Tone adjustment in PS?

I realize that much of it has to do with getting the correct exposure at the time the shutter is pressed, but I've got a long way to go. Seems I always wash the skin tones out (at least compared to the Breeze Browser generated jpgs) when I edit my files (raw or jpeg)---and yep, I'm pretty consistent....I can edit a decent photo right into the garbage.

Any simple and/or elementary description (suggestions) on skin tone treatment would be most
...Show more

Apr 01, 2004 at 06:41 AM
nml
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Skin Tones

Thanks for the replies....I guess Wenyao hit at my question/problem..I've got a significant investment in digital camera equipment, and many times the snapshots done with years ago and develped at Echards have a look just as good and maybe better.......I don't expect studio perfection with every click, but I know my techniques and the techniques of my family were no better then than they are now...

I quess I need to work on on using a grey card more often and pay more attention to the light......again, many thanks and any other suggestions will be most appreciated...

Mick

Apr 01, 2004 at 12:58 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Skin Tones

I think it has something to do with the film emulsion that generates better skin tones and nicer shadows. The most obvious examples come from flash photos - even after clor correction, my D30's flash photos often do not have that nice human-tone to it as compared to my EOS Elan with it's internal flash previously.

I have been trying to work something out in Photoshop for a long time, but to no avail. Color correction/white-balancing does work for most parts of the image, but the skin tones just doesn't seem as nice or as correct in digital than in film.

I wonder how the automated developing machines in the labs do the AWB... on the same note, I did have a Kodak DX6340 point and shoot previously and the skin tone colors for the Kodak were way better than the Canon's for daylight shots. (night shots were bad) In fact, the day shots looked very much like those that I got from Kodak prints. There must be some Kodak color science trickery behind all this

Best regards,
Wenyao

Apr 02, 2004 at 09:18 PM
gervaise
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Skin Tones

This book, while intended to deal with retouching, is by the one person in the world who seems to know more about skin tones than anyone else I ever ran on to. See

Photoshop Restoration and Retouching

Author: Katrin Eisenman
ISBN: 0789723182
Available: April 3, 2001
Price: $44.99 US
Pages: 288

Apr 02, 2004 at 10:56 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password