FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2009 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

mdude85
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

It's interesting because usually scammers are not worth 2 seconds of one's time. :-/

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:02 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

I wonder how many minutes a day people spend watching TV or reading a book. Could you make the case that is a waste of time? Consider this an educational opportunity.

As for my time...I have two full time jobs (one photography and one not), workout 3 hours a day and run adventure races. I have the same 24 hour day that everyone has, but it is all about time management.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:20 PM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

nathanlake wrote:
I wonder how many minutes a day people spend watching TV or reading a book. Could you make the case that is a waste of time? Consider this an educational opportunity.

As for my time...I have two full time jobs (one photography and one not), workout 3 hours a day and run adventure races. I have the same 24 hour day that everyone has, but it is all about time management.

To each his own !

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:31 PM
RVRich
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Personally, I'm glued to this thread to see what the outcome will eventually be! This is better than any TV show!

I've always thought what might happen if one tried to follow through on one of these scam artists. Thanks Nathanlake for following through on this for all of us!!

Dec 29, 2009 at 02:24 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

It appears as though I have lost this guy. There has been no response to my past 3 emails.

Dec 29, 2009 at 03:53 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

That was a nice touch, and likely where you lost him.

This evening I sent an email to Joe telling him of his friends honest mistake and promising to return the overpayment when I see him at the shoot in January.

Jan 01, 2010 at 11:23 AM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

I have still heard nothing from "Joe", but here is an interesting twist. Today, I received another $2975 in money orders. It contained the exact same instructions are the last money orders I got from them.

That is a total of $5950....that's enough to buy a 1D-IV....cool.

Jan 09, 2010 at 07:58 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Finally, another response....here is the actual scam....

Joe says....

Sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town. After reading through your email, I contacted my associate and going by our discussion he I got to know that he was the one that misunderstood me concerning the instruction I gave to him as regards the amount he was supposed to send to you for your photo shoot. I am very sorry for this mistake

Actually he was supposed to send you just the money for your photo shoot and send the rest of the money to me here in Malaysia. This balance is required for the shipment of our winery raw-materials to United States.These consignment are now at the point of shipment and my agent has been waiting for the money so he can have these shipped to United States without delay.

Please what I will advise is that you take all the Money Orders to your Bank and cash them out, deduct the money for your photo shoot and then Let me know when the rest is in your hand so that I can provide you with the information that you will send the remaining amount to

Thanking you in anticipation of your favorable assistance. I will be looking forward to reading from you

Regards,
Joe

Jan 14, 2010 at 02:56 PM
johnecon
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Why not tweak his chain a bit and thank him for sending the $250 down payment that you requested. Inform him that his friend must be mistaken, and that the money order was for only $250. His friend must have pocketed the rest!!!

You could tweak it even further in a week or so & let him know that the money order cleared, and everything is in order.

That ought to prove interesting!

John

Jan 14, 2010 at 03:17 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

johnecon wrote:
Why not tweak his chain a bit and thank him for sending the $250 down payment that you requested. Inform him that his friend must be mistaken, and that the money order was for only $250. His friend must have pocketed the rest!!!

You could tweak it even further in a week or so & let him know that the money order cleared, and everything is in order.

That ought to prove interesting!

John

I thought about that, but remember, this is probably not real money so he would not lose anything if I did that.

If I take the money order to my bank, they will cash them and hand over money to me based on the fact that I am a business account holder. The money order will not kick back for several days. "Joe" is counting on that and hopes to have money in his hands before my bank figures things out and comes after me for the cash.

My plan is to take the money orders to the firm that supposedly isused them (Ace Cash Express) and see what they say. Assuming they say they are not good, I will contact Joe and offer to send him the "extra" money. When he tells me where to send it, I will return his money orders to him.

Jan 14, 2010 at 04:03 PM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Ahhhhhh... the famous Western Union gag. For those of you not familiar with this, Western Union is the most common form of requested payment in eBay scams.

Joe says....

I really appreciate your understanding,after you have deducted your required amount,its important that you send the remaining money to me in Malaysia by WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER since it is the fastest means of transferring money in a situation of urgency
Please find below the required information to transfer the money by western union :i.e Information you require from me. BENJAMIN EBULEM is my account officer, he is in charge of my financial matters
RECEIVER'S NAME; BENJAMIN (first name) EBULEM (family/last name)
ADDRESS: 50 STREET WEST FENCE, KUALA LUMPUR, 53000
COUNTRY MALAYSIA
Please email me the transfer details as soon as you complete the transaction:i.e the information I require from you, because without it my account officer can not can not get the money collected.
THE EXACT AMOUNT SENT:the amount that comes to me after deduction of charges
MTCN(10 DIGIT NUMBER)
SENDER'S NAME: i.e the exact name used to send the money to me.
I will be glad if the money can be sent by western union today so that I can pay for the shipping of my goods down to the States and confirm our flight ticket immediately..Our arrival date will depend a lot on how soon the money gets to me here in Malaysia.I hope this will not call for a new photoshoot date. Anyway lets hope you are through with the transfer today,

Thank you I will be waiting to read from you
Joe Akins

Even with my pleading last time for a time and address to meet for the shoot, there is no mention of it. I wonder how important this "shoot" really is.

Any suggestions on what my next email should say?

Jan 15, 2010 at 08:06 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Tell him that you attempted to comply with his wishes, but you've been strongly encouraged by a trusted officer at your bank to allow 10-14 working days for his (bogus) money orders to clear. After your bank has verified that the funds are in your account, you will cheerfully foward his money by any means he specifies.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm sure you understand."

OR, tell him his money is on the way. When he contacts you to say that it never arrived, appear to be at a loss. Obviously, you can't resend it because you already cashed his money orders and "paid" for the Western Union transfer. After a day or two, tell him WU is putting a tracer on it and that he and his account officer will be contacted by WU agents soon.

Jan 15, 2010 at 08:50 AM
nathanlake
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

Ho1972 wrote:
Tell him that you attempted to comply with his wishes, but you've been strongly encouraged by a trusted officer at your bank to allow 10-14 working days for his (bogus) money orders to clear. After your bank has verified that the funds are in your account, you will cheerfully foward his money by any means he specifies.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, but I'm sure you understand."

OR, tell him his money is on the way. When he contacts you to say that it never arrived, appear to be at a loss. Obviously, you can't resend it because you already cashed his money
...Show more

I think that will just end the conversation. He knows that the money orders are no good and allowing my bank to check them out will reveal that with no money going into his pocket. I need to say something that will elicit further response and allow him to maintain the hope of making some money off of me.

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:34 AM
johnecon
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · PPA photographers: SCAM alert

nathanlake wrote:
I think that will just end the conversation. He knows that the money orders are no good and allowing my bank to check them out will reveal that with no money going into his pocket. I need to say something that will elicit further response and allow him to maintain the hope of making some money off of me.

How about you send him an email with all the information he wants - - with all sorts of bogus "transfer details" - - - and then when it doesn't arrive, he'll contact you again and you can string him along by "checking with Western Union" to see what went wrong with the transfer, etc.

Western Union might even be helpful enough to give you some legitimate looking info - - - maybe they'd like to reel in guys like him!!

John

Jan 15, 2010 at 12:35 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.