Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

KimS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking in the $2-300 range at the epsons but don't quite understand the differences. I'll mostly be using it only to scan medium format 120 film, but most of my images are panoramic so they are goofy sizes and I need a flatbed. I'm looking at the v500, v600 and briefly glanced at the v700 photo scanner but unsure of the differences. I'm not interested in scanning anything other than negatives. Scans will be used mostly for web but I would like to be able to get images up to 20x20 out of them if possible.

Nov 21, 2009 at 05:55 PM
mhayes5254
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

good discussion here

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00TD05

Nov 23, 2009 at 01:05 AM
ModifiedPhoto
• •
p.1 #3 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

I've had extensive use with the V750 Pro and own a Microtek ArtixScan M1. (Though they've discontinued selling scanners in the US.) The V750 Pro is a great scanner, slightly slow and I really wish it had more Dmax. The color from it is good if you understand how to use SilverFast (which is included with some of the versions). The drawback is the fact that you have to manually "adjust" the focus using the film trays. This is both limited in adjustment and time consuming. (Though some people have made and sell full adjustable trays, they are expensive last time I looked into it.)

The Microtek which is no longer available has a glassless scanning system and has auto focus built in. This makes it fantastic for scanning film. It also has a larger Dmax and IMO, slightly better color rendering (I've tested this side by side with the V750) but it lacks Digital ICE technology. (This is it's real drawback, though I avoid using ICE anyhow as it extends the scanning process by 2-3x as long and can cause more artifacts than it fixes.)

Their is a model available in Europe called the F1 which has ICE, but the cost is much higher and it is questionable if you could even get one here. (Or if it would work without some sort of modifications to power cables and such).

Nov 28, 2009 at 04:38 AM
tomm101
• • •
p.1 #4 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

I have had a V700 from when they first came out, 3-4 years. It has been a good scanner, I find the set up a little fussy, I get nice 35s and 4x5s, I may not have set up the 2 1/4 holder that well. I find the scans better than a Nikon LS2000 and a Minolta Scan Multi, both turn of the century scanners. I recently had a 35 TriX neg that looks nice at 16x20, grain and all. The D-max doesn't seem bad to me, again better than my other 2 scanner options, has better dynamic range than either of the other scanners.
The V700 is definitely better than the V500, have seen comparisons. An MD I work with bought a V500 and wasn't happy at all with the scans, I suggested she buy a V700, she is now happy, though she still prefers the scans I do better, I hope so.
The one thing about the V700, it maxes out detail around 3200dpi, some say lower. A 3200dpi scan is not bad,
Check the Epson clearence center, they have had V700s at about $350 in the last few months, right now it is $429 I think, worth a look anyway.

Tom

Nov 29, 2009 at 05:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

Microtek just announced they are resuming selling scanners in north america.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:21 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

I decided on the Epson V700 scanner. It is so much better.

For a review, check out: http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Epson%20V700/page_1.htm

Nov 30, 2009 at 08:23 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

KimS wrote:
Scans will be used mostly for web but I would like to be able to get images up to 20x20 out of them if possible.

That's pretty much two opposite extremes when it comes to scan quality. For web images just about any film-capable flatbed scanner will do and resolution need only be low, but for nice detail-rich 16x20inch prints you'd want to capture much more detail (at least 2000 dpi) and pay more attention to removing dust and scratches (which is where Digital ICE comes in). You'll have to refine your requirement before deciding which scanner best suits your needs. The more up market scanners tend to operate faster at any given resolution and tend to have more features such as ICE or better software. If you'll be doing a lot of scans then time will be a major factor and in my opinion the scanner cost then takes a lower priority. If you are doing relatively few scans and mostly low-grade for the web then pay more attention to purchase cost.

- Alan

Dec 01, 2009 at 07:48 AM
ModifiedPhoto
• •
p.1 #8 · Medium Format Flatbed Scanner

Jeffrey wrote:
Microtek just announced they are resuming selling scanners in north america.

Oh good, now I don't have to panic about software support.

Dec 01, 2009 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password