New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              22      
       end

Archive 2009 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Paul Buff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.23 #1 · p.23 #1 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

c.d.embrey wrote:
If you had an Einstein/Zeus system I think your sales would go up. There really is no compelling reason to buy Zeus instead of DynaLite, etc. The Einstein specs would be a real reason.

I and many shooters I know use one pack per light About the only time I plug multiple lights into a pack is when I'm doing tabletop work. Or when lighting a white background, one pack on each side and two lights in each pack (BTW both lights on one stand).

To light a model on a white cyc I use three packs and a bounce. That's two
...Show more
I could make a profit, but would not recoup the engineering costs.

Mar 10, 2010 at 09:54 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.23 #2 · p.23 #2 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Neuffy wrote: The key decision is this: Will I be well served by dealing with this company? Will it be a pleasurable interaction in the purchasing phase, will the product be good, will customer service be good? If I have any problems, how well will they be taken care of? Can I get information on the products?

Beyond that, unless there are truly unsavory practices going on (eg. a company treats its employees horribly, is environmentally irresponsible, etc) it's simply not relevant.

Or more precisely: not relevant to you. For me it's not a political or quality control issue. It's a matter of feeling a sense of decency by not rewarding people who demonstrate objectionable behavior. Many people will typically turn a blind eye if it means saving a buck - apparently you fall in that category. More power to you because I can't do it. I have turned down many big jobs because I simply did not like people I dealt with at our initial meeting. Perhaps as you get older, you'll come around to the idea that life is short.

Edited on Mar 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM · View previous versions

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:14 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.23 #3 · p.23 #3 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Paul Buff wrote:
So. I answered the question whether posed seriously or not and assume at least one reader actually gained some technical information in the process.

Umm..wow. I was expecting the answer to be "kablooieee!"
Thanks for the insight. I was half hoping it was more like the B400/800/1600 where each additional power level just meant more capacitors on the same board...

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.23 #4 · p.23 #4 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Paul Buff wrote:
I could make a profit, but would not recoup the engineering costs.

Thanks for the honest answer.

Next Question How are the improved PCB PLM2s coming along?

I get great light out of the Sm-Med-Lg silver ones with my Profoto heads. Planing on getting Sm-Med-Lg silver and a large white as well (and I won't be using it as a shoot through) when the PLM2s come out.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.23 #5 · p.23 #5 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Or more precisely: not relevant to you. For me it's not a political or quality control issue. It's a matter of feeling a sense of decency by not rewarding people who demonstrate objectionable behavior. Many people will typically turn a blind eye if it means saving a buck - apparently you fall in that category. More power to you because I can't do it. I have turned down many big jobs because I simply did not like people I dealt with at our initial meeting. Perhaps as you get older, you'll come around to the idea that life is short.

Depends on whether the people in that category amount to an ignorable minority or an unignorable majority of the people in your world. If I refused to do business with people who have Paul' s politics, in my neck of the woods I would do no business at all. I wouldn't even be able to buy a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas.

I learned after more than half a century that life is too short to worry that much about them.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.23 #6 · p.23 #6 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

I learned after more than half a century that life is too short to worry that much about them.

Don't mistake standards for distress. What people do in private is not my concern, nor is their politics, philosophy or values, but knowingly going into a relationship with someone who demonstrates little regard for others will eventually come back to bite you. The old saying, "Believe in God, but tie up your camels" comes to mind.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.23 #7 · p.23 #7 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

kenyee wrote:
Umm..wow. I was expecting the answer to be "kablooieee!"
Thanks for the insight. I was half hoping it was more like the B400/800/1600 where each additional power level just meant more capacitors on the same board...

Einstein is already full of capacitors and would require a much bigger housing and complete redesign to get more power. Our experience indicates the 650WS range is the top of good sales volume. 320WS Bees are far and away the most popular sellers. WLX3200 and Zeus sales are rather small in comparison.

Mar 11, 2010 at 01:23 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.23 #8 · p.23 #8 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

c.d.embrey wrote:
Thanks for the honest answer.

Next Question How are the improved PCB PLM2s coming along?

I get great light out of the Sm-Med-Lg silver ones with my Profoto heads. Planing on getting Sm-Med-Lg silver and a large white as well (and I won't be using it as a shoot through) when the PLM2s come out.

Expecting first samples of 100% redesign in about a week, from a solid vendor. Small version is becoming 51" and all are more accurately focusable over a wider range. I suspect 3-4 weeks for first production after samples are tested and approved. We also have an offset arm in production at low cost to allow tiling the PLMs and BDs up or down more effectively. No price increase anticipated but much improved quality. Umbrella companies are a pain to deal with, so we are using our excellent mold/metal vendor and he is contracting and directing sewing.

Mar 11, 2010 at 01:29 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.23 #9 · p.23 #9 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

photomarvin wrote:
Neuffy -

My guess is it goes to the character of who Paul is. I could care less about his politics personally, but his character in these forums has been proven time and time again by his need to be so open about everything (not in a positive way).

But seriously...the date is March 10th...maybe we will see the lights by summertime...who knows...but that is what the discussion should be about...where are the Einsteins?

What is it about my character that is so off-putting? Having been through the great depression and living through the pain the country was put through by "progressive" politics, I prefer following the intent of the founding fathers and our precious constitution. It served us well until it started being re written. Those who need an apology for that won't get it from me. Does that make me unethical in some weird sort of way? My friends like me, my customers like me, my employees like me. I like me, and I love my country and don't want to lose it.

Mar 11, 2010 at 01:42 AM
amplexis
• •
p.23 #10 · p.23 #10 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Paul Buff wrote:
Einstein is already full of capacitors and would require a much bigger housing and complete redesign to get more power. Our experience indicates the 650WS range is the top of good sales volume. 320WS Bees are far and away the most popular sellers. WLX3200 and Zeus sales are rather small in comparison.

Paul, does adding an Einstein like reliable communications port to the Zeus make engineering and business sense?

Mar 11, 2010 at 09:04 AM
StevenPalowsky
• •
p.23 #11 · p.23 #11 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

thats great news about the PLM v2. very excited about that

PCB has released lots of goodies i really want to get my hands on...HOBDs, remotes/receivers and PLM products...

Mar 11, 2010 at 09:12 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.23 #12 · p.23 #12 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

amplexis wrote:
does adding an Einstein like reliable communications port to the Zeus make engineering and business sense?

I'm not sure it makes sense technically. The new comm port works on the Einstein because the newer digital circuitry/processor lets you control more features more precisely. The older port was basically an analog opamp control circuit controlling mainly analog circuitry. To do it properly for Zeus, it'd have to be able to know what kinds of heads are plugged into which ports to report accurate color information and that concept doesn't seem feasible in a pack/head system unless you get rid of the dynalite compatible plugs and go w/ some custom design which isn't cost effective...

Mar 11, 2010 at 09:17 AM
StevenPalowsky
• •
p.23 #13 · p.23 #13 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

i assume the zeus can take the CC/CSR+...doesnt that get you a lot of the control. i know you wont get the color temp and flash duration control, but to me, the digital control and modeling lamp control would be a nice feature.

i dont have any of those remotes, but i do plan on adding them at some point to my x3200s and abr800

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:12 AM
CGP4
• •
p.23 #14 · p.23 #14 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Paul Buff wrote:
Einstein is already full of capacitors and would require a much bigger housing and complete redesign to get more power.

Paul -

Dumb Question: Does the Einstein use capacitor switching (as the AB Max was to) in addition to IGBT management, or does IGBT technology render capacitor bank switching unnecessary?

Thanks.

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:19 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.