Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              22       23       end

Archive 2009 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Headshotz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Alan Goldstein wrote:
I have two of those background reflectors already. That isn't quite what I'm talking about - way too wide a spread. Imagine a reflector that is about 12 inches wide, 5 inches high and 6 inches deep - where the light attaches at the bottom. This gives a bout a 70 degree spread horizontally and a narrower spread vertically. It can be used to light part of a room without making the ceiling too hot. An X1600 can fit inside of it so it takes up little space.

Chris Grey wrote an article called Cheap Tricks for ProPhotoResource.com a while back. He used a right angle register box from the heating and air dept. of the local hardware store as a background light reflector for basically the same reasons you mentioned. Sounds pretty similar to what you are looking for?

He does warn of sharp edges but maybe a bit of DIY might do the trick. You can find the article here Cheap Tricks. I think you may need to register to read it though .

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:23 AM
Alan Goldstein

p.3 #2 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

[Chris Grey wrote an article called Cheap Tricks for ProPhotoResource.com a while back. He used a register box from the heating and air dept. of the local hardware store as a background light for basically the same reasons you mentioned. Sounds pretty similar to what you are looking for?

He does warn of sharp edges but maybe a bit of DIY might do the trick. You can find the article at Cheap Tricks. I think you may need to register to read it though .

I'll try to post a photo tomorrow. It isn't fancy. I took a piece of 12" wide aluminum and curved it. Then I used pop rivets to attach aluminum at the ends. I made a hole in the bottom of it for the head to attach. I re-enforced the hole with a flat Balcar spill reflector. And covered the sharp corners with tape. It is down and dirty but works. An assistant named it "The Airstream." I've been thinking of making more elaborate ones with adjustable ends and barn doors. When I assisted 30+ years ago, one photographer I worked for used to cover a flashead with a white 5 gallon bucket and place it in the corner for a Japnese lantern type effect. He had other modifications too. I have a lot of unusual and specialized light modifiers. (Balcar used to make quite a few light boxes that are unlike anything made by anyone else.)

I have no problem making ones for my own use. I just thought that a manufacturer should consider making them. Even if you just want the effect of a standard 7 or 12 inch round reflector, think of how much better balanced a large light such as an X3200 or Profoto monolight would be if it had reflectors that work this way. I also think a mono-light could be designed with the flashtube at a 90 degree angle, but that could cause problems insiide softboxes.

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:43 AM
derek walter
• •
p.3 #3 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

I guess I am being called a fanboy, ouch, hurt me.

I never said any thing "fanboyish" about anything, just stating a point. I also don't go on elinchrom threads and give those fanboys a hard time. Big difference

Dec 09, 2009 at 12:28 PM
Alan Goldstein

p.3 #4 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Here are some photos of the angled reflector I made. Its dimensions are 14 inches wide, 8 inches deep and 5 inches high. It is made of pretty thin aluminum so it's gotten beat up and isn't pretty... but it works. I tend to use a lot of direct lighting, so having various types of reflectors is quite useful to me. It cost almost nothing to make as I have a lot of those Balcar rings sitting around, and the Aluminum was some roof flashing. When Broncolor makes their version, it will set you back $700 but will look "professional." ;-)

Notice that an X2400 or X1600 will fit inside. The real benefit comes when using an X3200 as I can fit the light behind a column or into other tight places. With the shape of the AB lights, this is less important.

Dec 09, 2009 at 04:01 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.3 #5 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Great design idea, you should also forward the concept to Dick Balli , fits their PLBs and Diamond Box range.
Edit: I meant to forward it to Balcar S.A., as sadly Dick Balli died in this years September.

Dec 09, 2009 at 04:44 PM
Brent Ward
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Dec 09, 2009 at 08:43 PM
Shutterslam
• •
p.3 #7 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Brent Ward wrote:
http://vboards.stratics.com/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Pass some of that my way...

Can't wait to see the Einsteins in action. I actually got a reply from Kimberly in their marketing department stating everything we already know regarding the release date...

blah blah blah ...it's anticipated for this month... blah blah blah...

Have to wait and see I guess.

ss

Dec 09, 2009 at 08:47 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

very cute Brent!

Dec 09, 2009 at 09:08 PM
toddmitchell
• • •
p.3 #9 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Alan Goldstein wrote:
Here are some photos of the angled reflector I made. Its dimensions are 14 inches wide, 8 inches deep and 5 inches high. It is made of pretty thin aluminum so it's gotten beat up and isn't pretty... but it works. I tend to use a lot of direct lighting, so having various types of reflectors is quite useful to me. It cost almost nothing to make as I have a lot of those Balcar rings sitting around, and the Aluminum was some roof flashing. When Broncolor makes their version, it will set you back $700 but will look
...Show more

great idea
not sure where i would need it but great job. I really like you can fit the head into it.
my guess is buff will offer one next week - but it will ship next year some time

paul just kidding i love your stuff man.

Dec 09, 2009 at 10:22 PM
Brent Ward
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

E-Vener wrote:
very cute Brent!

This thread has been entertaining to say the least. I'm being good and staying out of this one.

Dec 09, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Alan Goldstein wrote:
Here are some photos of the angled reflector I made. Its dimensions are 14 inches wide, 8 inches deep and 5 inches high. It is made of pretty thin aluminum so it's gotten beat up and isn't pretty... but it works. I tend to use a lot of direct lighting, so having various types of reflectors is quite useful to me. It cost almost nothing to make as I have a lot of those Balcar rings sitting around, and the Aluminum was some roof flashing.

Damn, that is seriously cool! I mostly photo trains (you know, choo choos.) They are long and skinny just like your reflector. I often have problems with light spill and barn doors don't really solve it. Your reflector has potential for me! I bet Broncolor doesn't have anything like that.

Kent in SD

Dec 09, 2009 at 10:54 PM
shaunmlavery
• • •
p.3 #12 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Well, after trying to find some more info on these einsteins, I broke down, hopped on eBay, clicked BID and now I have another acute light coming to me. I guess I'll stop following this thread so much.

I am still interested in these guys though. Maybe some friends will have some since I do live in Nashville?

Dec 09, 2009 at 11:35 PM
Alan Goldstein

p.3 #13 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Two23 wrote:
Damn, that is seriously cool! I mostly photo trains (you know, choo choos.) They are long and skinny just like your reflector. I often have problems with light spill and barn doors don't really solve it. Your reflector has potential for me! I bet Broncolor doesn't have anything like that.

Kent in SD

You might want several lights with narrow focused reflectors for trains. Mine is pretty wide angle.

I'll clip an extended card at the top of my reflector to further reduce getting light on the ceiling.

Many years ago, I was telling a salesman at Ken Hanson Lighting that I often had to drape black cloth over the tops of my umbrellas to keep them from spilling onto the ceiling. He sent me an RPL-B 50 Balcar softbox to try out. He knew I shot interiors and thought it would be great for me. Well I bought three of them and a Prisma Box. What is unique about them is that they have large reflective folding "wings" that can change the shape of the unit and feather the light in various ways. So I'll turn it to a vertical position and close the top wing to keep the light off the ceiling. They are kind of odd because they are made of plastic and snap together in various ways. (And the snaps break.) They accept a diffusion panel and a large and small grid. You can unsnap them and fold them flat. They also made a larger model that I wish I had bought before they discontinued them. I use these constantly. They provide surprisingly even fill almost like a directional Japanese lantern yet are fairly small (to fit in the spaces I have to deal with.) I'd like to see more things like this on the market.

Balcar used to make the most interesting variety of light modifiers and at one time had a catalog that demonstrated various ways to set them up and get the most out of them. The fact that White Lightnings accepted Balcar reflectors was a big plus for me.

Edited on Dec 09, 2009 at 11:58 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2009 at 11:47 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.3 #14 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Thanks for the photos Alan. You should start up a separate thread on cool light modifiers you can buy or DIY...

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:37 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.3 #15 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Balcar still makes some unique light modifiers and I'm familiar enough with the Broncolor line to know that these are unlike like any made by anyone else including Broncolor. Don't believe me? Go to http://balcar.com/PHOTO/accessories.html and check outthe Diamond Box and V-PLB series. In the past Balcar made some light modifiers that not even the current people at Balcar HQ know anything about.

One of them is a Rigid aluminum diffuser called the R-55 : it looks like and works like nothing anyone else has ever made. Balcar made it in the 1970s for photographers who shot jewelery and very high end timepieces like Rolex, Cartier, Patek Phillipe and Breguet, and other shiny things where specular reflections would obscure valuable detail. You can mount it to any head with a 7" reflector and the the light comes up from the bottom and is dispersed throughout the modifier by a set of small internal reflectors. On the back wall there's a port to shoot through so if you ever want to do a macro shot perfectly even light that surrounds the subject and produces no specular reflection.

The character of the light is both soft and crisp, surrounding and defining an object (or a face) in a way no ring light or tent can touch. Don't want to use it to light something that way? Fine, close the camera port, put a diffuser across the front and you've got a rigidbox. In that mode the light quality is like that of a small scale Broncolor Hazylight or Boxlite 40. And it came with a grid as well. I bought mine back in 1998 - 99 on eBay for a ridiculously low price from a New York based photographer who was retiring after decades of shooting for the likes of clients like Tiffany's, Cartier, and Rolex.

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:38 AM
wyofizz
• •
p.3 #16 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Called today and tried to bribe the sales gal with a dozen roses in order to preorder a couple. She countered with chocolates and told me wasn't going to happen at any cost
"Still looking at Dec but no promises".
I was hoping to preorder for a gig right after Christmas as I'd like something faster than my AB800's.

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:52 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.3 #17 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

E-Vener wrote:
One of them is a Rigid aluminum diffuser called the R-55

ok..I'm curious...can you take a photo of it the next time you set it up? You guys really should start a thread of cool modifiers...

Dec 10, 2009 at 04:09 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #18 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Einstein has approximately double the air volume of WL and ABs fan, has four times the air inlet, properly located on the bottom where the air is coolest. The airflow is carefully directed both through the unit and out the front and top, blowing directly into the frosted dome, with ample room for the air to escape as it exits the dome.

The cooling path follows expert thermodynamic engineering - bringing the air in at the coolest point, passing the air flow first through the most heat sensitive components, then on to the hottest components. Several temperature sensors control the speed of the fan and shut the unit down if excess heating occurs in any location. The charge voltage is regulated to 1/50 f stop and multiple over-voltage sensors protect the unit. There are no compromises in the Einstein design whatsoever. For information to Unlimited, the IGBT circuitry consumes approximately two watts total when fired at every recycle. You are not "Buff" (thank god) and your technical analysis is of no value to me, nor I doubt to any other reader here.

As for Ellis Vener, he is a very well respected writer and reviewer for Professional Photographers of America, the premiere educational and professional organization in America, and other publications. I have never met Ellis but know from experience when he reviews a product he is completely unbiased and objective.

The question remains for Unlimited . . . just what are your expert qualifications, beyond spewing hot air and hatred?

Dec 10, 2009 at 08:27 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

I was right the first time. Getting into a discussion with someone like "uncredible" is both a silly and sad occupation of one's limited time on Earth.

(Very heavily edited for content so as not to waste peoples' time).

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:33 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Einsteins 640....Dec??

Paul Buff wrote:
As for Ellis Vener, he is a very well respected writer and reviewer for Professional Photographers of America, the premiere educational and professional organization in America, and other publications. I have never met Ellis but know from experience when he reviews a product he is completely unbiased and objective.

I happen to make photos for most of my living -- http://www.ellisvener.com -- writing is a sideline I started when prices for stock photos started crashing.

Dec 10, 2009 at 03:25 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password