FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10       end

Archive 2009 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Daniel Heineck
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

No AF to speak of at all. Nope none zero.

Lucky you though, at least it will automagically stop down ;-)

Dec 05, 2009 at 12:45 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Grrrr,my copy is sitting at local UPS warehouse over the weekend.
Have to wait till Monday for delivery and thats when the next storm is rolling in.

Dec 05, 2009 at 02:20 AM
Mr. Lee

p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Hey guys! Can someone answer this question?

Does this Rokinon for Nikon mount focus on the same way as the Nikon lenses? let me explain, Nikon and Pentax are one of the very few that focus this way Close focus <---> Infinity, and all other lenses, like Canon, Zeiss, Minolta...etc focus this wayInfinity <-----> close focus

I'm planning on buying this lens for using with my GH1, but I don't know which mount I buy... if the Nikon version focus "inverse", this is a issue to me... so I have to look maybe for the Canon version.

Thanks!

Dec 05, 2009 at 02:25 AM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Hi Mr. Lee,

I don't own the lens (yet) but I've read several people's posts that say the focus is in the same direction as the manufacturer's regular lens e.g. the Nikon mount Rokinson focuses in the direction as Nikon lenses and the Canon mount lens focuses in the same direction as Canon lenses. (We all wish other companies like Tamron would do the same thing).

So, you should be all set.

jeff

Mr. Lee wrote:
Hey guys! Can someone answer this question?

Does this Rokinon for Nikon mount focus on the same way as the Nikon lenses? let me explain, Nikon and Pentax are one of the very few that focus this way Close focus <---> Infinity, and all other lenses, like Canon, Zeiss, Minolta...etc focus this wayInfinity <-----> close focus

I'm planning on buying this lens for using with my GH1, but I don't know which mount I buy... if the Nikon version focus "inverse", this is a issue to me... so I have to look maybe for the Canon version.

Thanks!

Dec 05, 2009 at 02:34 AM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Well, mine is on order. Don't know how I'll like the 85mm perspective, but it's good to get outside the normal bounds every once in a while. That and live cashback and an ebay coupon brought it down to 200 for me, so I'll be break-even if I don't take to it.

How well does this guy do on tubes or with a diopter? Stick with the 70-200 instead for really short stuff?

Dec 05, 2009 at 03:30 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

kaska1 wrote:
Mine just arrived today. Only played with it for 2min before realizing "oh shit, this lens doesn't auto focus."

Does this lens meter? BTW I am using nikon d700 and 300 and thought it might af with the lens.

Does any lens meter?

Dec 05, 2009 at 10:37 AM
helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

cogitech wrote:
Does any lens meter?

Nikons are weird about metering, aren't they?

Dec 05, 2009 at 12:14 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

helimat wrote:
Nikons are weird about metering, aren't they?

Nikons, or Nikonians?

Still, I've never known a lens that meters.

Dec 05, 2009 at 04:58 PM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

A lens absolutely meters light... just depends on what definition you want to use

Dec 05, 2009 at 05:00 PM
Mr. Lee

p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

ShadowWalker wrote:
Hi Mr. Lee,

I don't own the lens (yet) but I've read several people's posts that say the focus is in the same direction as the manufacturer's regular lens e.g. the Nikon mount Rokinson focuses in the direction as Nikon lenses and the Canon mount lens focuses in the same direction as Canon lenses. (We all wish other companies like Tamron would do the same thing).

So, you should be all set.

jeff

Thanks Jeff!
So I'll have to look for the Canon or Sony version (all my MF lenses for the GH1 are Minoltas)

Dec 05, 2009 at 07:01 PM
helimat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

cogitech wrote:
Nikons, or Nikonians?

Still, I've never known a lens that meters.

I know what you are saying, Paul.... But correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Nikon bodies had to have specific lenses installed in order for the metering to work, similar to the way Canon bodies need a chip for AF confirm.

Dec 05, 2009 at 08:22 PM
delanuez

p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Here you have some samples taken just today. All of then @ 1.4:

http://juliodelanuez.smugmug.com/Other/Rokinon-85-Samples

Edited on Mar 05, 2010 at 05:59 PM · View previous versions

Dec 24, 2009 at 06:31 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

helimat wrote:
I know what you are saying, Paul.... But correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the Nikon bodies had to have specific lenses installed in order for the metering to work, similar to the way Canon bodies need a chip for AF confirm.

As Nikon's had 3 different meter coupling systems over the years, which bodies meter with any given lens is a bit of a mess. The AI coupling system is supported by high-end bodies only and CPU coupling is supported by all bodies. Pre-AI 'Rabbit Ears' coupling is unsupported and officially any pre-AI lens must be AI converted to be used (as a practical matter, the D40, D60, D3000 and possibly the D5000 can mount most pre-AI lenses safely, but not meter with them).

Of the current digitals, the D300 and up meter with CPU-equipped lenses as well as AI lenses. The D90 and down require CPU-equipped lenses for metering. All current versions of the Samyang 85/1.4 are AI-S spec without a lens CPU, functionally equivalent to an AI lens for metering. There are indications that a AI-P version (AI_S with CPU) may get released next year, which will enable metering on all Nikon DSLR's as well as allowing Program and Shutter Priority modes which the bodies which meter with AI lenses cannot do with AI lenses.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM
delanuez

p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

I bought mine (Rokinon) from cameta.com for only $250 (US) both are the same. I think it is a very good lens for the price. Here you have a sample:
http://juliodelanuez.smugmug.com/Photography/Rokinon-85-Samples/20091224delaNuez3298/748966823_XQjfA-XL.jpg

More samples (all @ f/1.4) here:

http://juliodelanuez.smugmug.com/Other/Rokinon-85-Samples

Dec 26, 2009 at 10:20 AM
stejahen

p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Hey everyone. I got this lens a month ago and really like it. Unfortunatly on monday I didn't have my backpack canon camera bag all the way zipped up and this lens and my camera fell out on to the street. The camera seems fine, I've used it since, but while the Rokinon looks fine, the apature ring stopped working, it turns, but it stays all the way open at 1.4.

Any suggestions?
Any one have experience opening up a lens like this, or dropping one with this effect?
Thanks.

Jun 16, 2010 at 05:36 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

That's the beauty of a $200 lens get another one and be glad it wasn't an 85 1.2

Jun 16, 2010 at 06:37 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

I seem to only shoot that lens wide open anyway!
Maybe fellow FM'er Jim Buchanan can take a look at it and fix it.

Jun 16, 2010 at 06:57 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Well, I just purchased one to replace my Nikon 85 1.4 AF-D....not sure why I didn't do this sooner. I think this lens is truly better than the Nikon, I can't believe it. Here are my first few shots in the backyard when I got home.....all wide open obviously

http://rsolti.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Misc-Shots/RTS4302/903852987_3fhPz-XL.jpg

http://rsolti.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Misc-Shots/RTS4295/903852827_Qa3e8-XL.jpg

http://rsolti.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Misc-Shots/RTS4303/903853186_BCwqC-XL.jpg

http://rsolti.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Misc-Shots/RTS4288/903852240_meuHH-XL.jpg

http://rsolti.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Misc-Shots/RTS4289/903852445_CH2Bz-XL.jpg

http://rsolti.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Misc-Shots/RTS4294/903852645_unTkN-XL.jpg

Jun 16, 2010 at 08:06 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Great shots.

Mine just came in recently and I have been playing around with it. Took some shots to compare to the 85L II and so far so good. Its really hard to tell them apart aside from looking at the exif.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:21 PM
lextalionis
• • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Got my Rokinon 85mm f/1.4

Second half of this video I did was with this lens:

And this video:

And a short color version:

Just got it about 3 weeks ago...need to go out and do some stills!

-Roy

Jun 21, 2010 at 02:41 PM
       10       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.