New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · 17mm T&S filter holder

Roy Pertchik
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 17mm T&S filter holder

I can't seem to find the previous thread in which this came up, but it's of enough interest that I'll start another here.

The front element of the 17 protrudes so a screw on filter is not possible. Here is my modified Lee filter holder. I took an 82mm WA adapter and cut and filed away the inside edge to produce wings that fit into the lens' lens cap grooves. Then I made extenders that hold the actual glass holders wide enough appart to accomodate a Fomatt 5.65 x 5.65mm glass filter. Then I shimmed the glass holders forward enough so that the filter passes in front of the protruding lens element. FInaly, I assembled everything sandwiching a black mouse pad with a hole in the center, which eliminates reflections off of the back surfac of the filter.

Nov 05, 2009 at 11:46 AM
Greg Feldman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 17mm T&S filter holder

Nice idea. Are you sure that the filter is completely parallel to the elements?

Nov 05, 2009 at 12:13 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 17mm T&S filter holder

So how well does it work? I could not see exactly how the first part went on till I looked closely at my 17 and lens cap, then it became clear.. Pretty neat, are you going to be selling duplicates?

Nov 05, 2009 at 12:53 PM
Nick Baker
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 17mm T&S filter holder

well done. You could prob get some nice money for a couple of those.

Nov 05, 2009 at 12:54 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 17mm T&S filter holder

Nick Baker wrote:
well done. You could prob get some nice money for a couple of those.

Indeed. Where do I send $$?

Nov 05, 2009 at 01:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 17mm T&S filter holder

I like the design to include a flexible black mouse pad to minimize flare... So, Roy, like Stan's question, are you taking orders ?

Nov 05, 2009 at 01:14 PM
Peter Montanti
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 17mm T&S filter holder

Roy, you don't mention anything about the filter being able to rotate. I've been thinking of a way to mount a polarizer which would need to rotate. Does your set up do this?

Thanks for posting your filter holder remedy.

Peter

Architectural Photography by Peter Montanti, www.mountainphotographics.com

Nov 05, 2009 at 03:16 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 17mm T&S filter holder

The Lee filter holder will rotate on its adapter ring, so you will have rotation available for the whole assembly. That would allow a square polarizer or a graduated ND to rotate, but you could not get independent rotation of each if they were both mounted in slots at the front. I was considering a similar approach with a modification to a step up ring, but that would not give rotation. Using an 82mm Lee adapter is an alternative I had not considered, but will now.

Nov 05, 2009 at 03:54 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 17mm T&S filter holder

Thanks, everybody. The mouse pad was a late breaking thought. I was planning for a stiff piece of black plastic, but was concerned about getting the thing into my bag. The mouse pad scrunches up nicely, and also can be tilted towards the glass, in use, to be a bit of a hood. Yes, the Lee adapter ring provides for rotation. That's the key to the Lee and similar systems. Sorry, I have no plans to make and sell these at this time. I'm an architect, so I design things and keep moving and never make any money. I posted this as a guide for anybody who wants to make one for themselves. A word of caution; there should be a protrusion at the end of one of the wings on the adapter ring, so that it can be mounted with a twist and then stop when the protrusion engages the wing around the lens. Mine doesn't have that, yet. Without a positive stop at the end of the mount, it's easy to inadvertently dismount! Also, an 82 WA ring worked. I also have a 77, or rather, had a 77, and tried to make a neater one after the 82 prototype. But the geometry of the 77 ring just doesn't work. So if you buy a ring for this purpose, buy an 82.

Nov 05, 2009 at 06:39 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 17mm T&S filter holder

How does it perform at extreme shift?

Nov 05, 2009 at 06:54 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 17mm T&S filter holder

n0b0 wrote:
How does it perform at extreme shift?

As far as I can tell, the 5.65 x 5.65 filter gives complete coverage at extreme shift and tilt combined. I experimented with cardboard square cutouts to confirm this before I plunked down my non-refundable order at B&H for the not regularly stocked Formatt square circular polarizer (warning: aprox $260, if I recall. Got a 6 stop ND, too for about the same. Brings the total budget for me for the 17T&S to about $3k, but if you have to buy a Lee holder and ring, that's more, too. I sold a 16-35 II, a 24-70, a 50 1.4, and an older 24T&S to finance this, and I don't regret it a bit. Still have 24 & 50 L's, and 70-200 2.8 IS, and with the 17T&S, and two bodies, it's a killer, efficient kit IMHO.)

And stan, I like my 50 :-)

Nov 05, 2009 at 08:55 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 17mm T&S filter holder

Nice. It's great to see some ingenious ideas pop up here.

Nov 05, 2009 at 11:15 PM
dancam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 17mm T&S filter holder

Great set-up. The ability to use filters was the main reason I went with the 24. Looks like you may have solved that. Nice job.

Nov 06, 2009 at 12:58 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.