Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2009 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

bikinchris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Never, ever give up anything fragile to anyone at the airlines. This has been my motto for a while now. They will never make me gate check or give up my camera bag. I know for a fact that it is airline legal. They can't make me give it up.
I was at Atlanta-Hartsflield coming home from Hawai'i and watched a Delta baggage handler remove the bags off of a cart to be loaded onto a plane. He didn't drop bags, no he didn't throw bags, He took EACH AND EVERY BAG with both hands and slammed them down onto the tarmac with all of the strength he had. Including the case of pineapples we were bringing home.
*******Never-ever give up anything fragile to any airline employee.*******
If the government wants to make any difference in the 'bill of rights for airline passengers', they should make airlines fully liable for anything they take out of your hands and make them liable for all repair or replacement costs unless they can prove that you didn't pack it well.

Nov 04, 2009 at 07:51 PM
Gary Lee 44
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

monoprint
Bummer about the camera EQ damage! But I loved the video about the United Airlines-WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

Nov 04, 2009 at 08:07 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.3 #3 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

fln538 wrote:
Wow according to you, people that don't speak English don't know how to handle things?
What a revelation! English Speaking people rule the world!!!

I HATE people like you that get offended very easy because you missunderstood what I'm trying to say is....

This is America, if you're going to be a Customer Service position you must be able to speak American English perfectly without any accent.

Nov 04, 2009 at 08:33 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.3 #4 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Sam,

To me (and most courts) the litmus test is what risk can a reasonable person assume when checking bags? Losing it? It happens. Damage? That happens too. Everything else is not a reasonable risk involved in putting baggage into the bottom of an airplane. Assuming you are not flying into Seattle or other rain forest getting your gate-checked bag soaked in the bottom of an airplane is not a risk that a reasonable person would anticipate. Therefor they are liable, no matter what their cartage statement says.

For that reason if I were you I would mount a ceaseless campaign to (a) get reimbursed for every expense associated with the loss, and (b) do as much PR damage to US Air as possible. Had they done the right thing and admitted liability immediately and reimbursed you in a timely manner you would be remiss to complain. But they did not.

If it is any consolation you have already done damage to US Air as I will not fly them again either.

Hey, everyone needs a vendetta. I wish you the best of luck with yours.

David

Nov 04, 2009 at 08:45 PM
joekraft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Sorry to hear about your troubles, and I'm sure it's no consolation, but what a great account of your trouble.

I have some personal experience with that company. My wife used to work there, and would attend meetings with the CEO. She doesn't work there anymore. There is a real pattern of crappy behavior leeching down from the highest levels of management. It's a shame. Before the merger, they had some really good people in their executive positions. Not so much anymore, and as your experience shows, it is affecting the whole airline.

Good luck getting this resolved in some manner.

Nov 04, 2009 at 08:57 PM
pointedem
• •
p.3 #6 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

wow thank you for that post. Sorry to hear, best of luck.

Nov 04, 2009 at 10:33 PM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.3 #7 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Do we all volunteer to pay higher ticket prices so people can check very expensive fragile and water sensitive equipment in soft bags that aren't waterproof?

That's what it boils down to.

The airline is doing what's best for the majority, not charging everybody higher prices to benefit a few.

Nov 04, 2009 at 11:33 PM
dwerther
• • •
p.3 #8 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Bobster2 wrote:
Do we all volunteer to pay higher ticket prices so people can check very expensive fragile and water sensitive equipment in soft bags that aren't waterproof?

That's what it boils down to.

The airline is doing what's best for the majority, not charging everybody higher prices to benefit a few.

Isn't this like saying that CanKon is going to make their consumer DSLR line where dropping it results in guaranteed destruction, but that is okay since very few people drop them, and it will allow them to lower the price so the majority is better off?

I don't agree that service vs. low price is ALWAYS a zero sum game. Yes, sometimes you have to pay extra for better quality and service in durable goods (IBM laptops, Mercedes Benz) but some service companies have figured out how to offer both (Southwest Airlines, Sears Craftsman tools).

Reward apathy and mediocrity only when there is no other choice.

Nov 04, 2009 at 11:49 PM
fln538
• •
p.3 #9 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

I HATE people like you that get offended very easy because you missunderstood what I'm trying to say is....

This is America, if you're going to be a Customer Service position you must be able to speak American English perfectly without any accent.

Geez talking about neurotic people..... relax take a chill pill, breath, smell the flowers, don't hate me please! anger gives cancer or at least a very nasty indigestion!

And for the record is misunderstood not "missunderstood"

Nov 05, 2009 at 12:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

monochrome
• • • •
p.3 #10 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

If for the record, shouldn't have you used a comma after Geez? And used a capital "A" for anger?

Nov 05, 2009 at 01:00 AM
fln538
• •
p.3 #11 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

monochrome wrote:
If for the record, shouldn't have you used a comma after Geez? And used a capital "A" for anger?

My grammar is not perfect, English is not my first language. Besides I am not the one showing off that I speak perfect English without accent.

Any way at least I am a very happy person
God bless you all!

Nov 05, 2009 at 02:29 AM
monochrome
• • • •
p.3 #12 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

I'm just b s'ing with you.

Nov 05, 2009 at 04:07 AM
sunpole
• •
p.3 #13 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

great story! I got a kick out of it.

Nov 05, 2009 at 02:59 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Awesomely written story, and very similar to what I've experienced at the hands of United, Continental, and space-available Military Transport flights.

United treats every bag like it's filled with sand instead of peoples' possessions, and they have no respect for the customer when something goes awry. I will NEVER fly on their airlines again after my last experience on a flight between DC and New York... over 8 hours in delays, a missed connecting flight, an overnight stay in La Guardia airport, misplaced luggage that got to my destination AFTER I returned from the trip to CA, and they had the audacity to tell me that my camera gear would have to be checked, while a guitar player walked his hardshell case on board.

As another photog in this thread suggested, if they EVER make you check your carry-on bag with your gear, take your cameras out, mount the lenses and flashes, and hold onto them for dear life. Any camera that you hand these imbeciles is a camera that you should fully expect to have broken or damaged in some way. I checked the bag like they demanded... but I'll be damned if there was anything worth more than $100 in it!

Nov 05, 2009 at 04:40 PM
halie
• • •
p.3 #15 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

A few years ago I got evicted from my seat on a european commuter flight to make room for a deadheading crewmember just as we were about to depart. They made me get off the plane, go to the back and get my luggage (it was a commuter leg so we were on the tarmac), haul all my luggage myself across the ramp, up the stairs, through the terminal, all the while with an agent telling me to hurry up. He carried nothing. We went to another gate where they were going to put me on a different flight, only to have them say we were too late as they had just closed the airplane door. Then the first agent turned and yelled at me, saying it was my fault because I didn't run fast enough! They made me miss all my connections which would have taken me from Valencia to Seattle. It ended up taking me three days to get home. How's that for service?

Nov 05, 2009 at 10:34 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.3 #16 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Surprised you didn't have to spend more time in that country from killing the agent.

Nov 05, 2009 at 11:35 PM
halie
• • •
p.3 #17 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

monochrome wrote:
Surprised you didn't have to spend more time in that country from killing the agent.

Yep, would have been understandable if I ended up on "Locked Up Abroad."

Nov 06, 2009 at 01:06 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password