Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2009 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

John Richter
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Took this at the entrance of the Kabota Gardens last weekend. I thought it would make for an unusual 3D.

I hope it works for you.

How to See 3D Photos

JBR

Edited on Oct 29, 2009 at 08:50 PM · View previous versions

Oct 29, 2009 at 06:44 AM
bshamilton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Remarkably wicked!

Oct 29, 2009 at 08:57 AM
debuggerus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

This cured my 3d "blindness" ... awesome!

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM
Phantom Knight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Cool...Very nicely done. Did you try B/W version?
-Jay

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:45 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Scary or what! Great stuff John.
David

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:57 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Nice. Great subject for stereo.

Oct 29, 2009 at 01:00 PM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

very interesting, i'd love to see this for myself!

Oct 29, 2009 at 01:40 PM
Tim Hallam
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

debuggerus wrote:
This cured my 3d "blindness" ... awesome!

Not mine! I can't get these things to work. I don't think I can cross my eyes far enough. Haha...

Tim

Oct 29, 2009 at 02:34 PM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

John

Wicked cool man this really works sweet in 3D awesome

Ray Still

Oct 29, 2009 at 08:19 PM
alichty
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Once again the 3D works nicely and leaves us with a neat view of the gnarly growth of the tree. My only nit in this case are the almost blown out skies in the back. Not sure if there is anything you could really do with this under the circumstances given the huge dynamic rage required to tame this.

The tree itself is a neat shot - thanks for sharing it

Alan

Oct 29, 2009 at 09:18 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Yeah - gnarly!

I love the way that in the black and white shot you don't notice the four dark purple leaves that sit in the fork of the lowest branch until you go stereo and then there they are, sitting a few inches in front of the branch.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

You may have seen this already, but here's a stereograph I made a few years ago:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5D/soph3d.jpg

Not so gnarly, I know. I couldn't get the two cameras close enough together, so the effect is a bit exaggerated.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

I've always wondered why they don't do sport on tv like this. Seeing the distance would make it much easier to follow.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:27 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

I had never tried this before, but read the instructions at your link, and gave it a whirl. It took a couple of tries, but I got it! After that, I could get the 3D effect every time.

So cool! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM
patrickphoto
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

what is the offset distance from image one to image two? it seems all the images posted are a bit to far apart. The movement is very subtle and should make "stereoizing" the images when crossing less intense, with out lessening the 3d effect.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

patrickphoto wrote:
what is the offset distance from image one to image two? it seems all the images posted are a bit to far apart. The movement is very subtle and should make "stereoizing" the images when crossing less intense, with out lessening the 3d effect.

My portrait was done with about 3-4 inches of offset because that was as close as I could get the lens axes with a pair of 5D's. The prisms were touching. Ideally separation should be about 2.5 inches, which is normal separation for human eyes. A pair of compact cameras ought to make that possible.

Oct 30, 2009 at 09:57 AM
John Richter
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Also, the further the subject is away. The more you have to shift from 1st to 2nd shot. Rule of thumb that I learned was if it's 20 feet and beyond, shift 1 foot. Closer than that means less shift. macro for instance is very little shift. Something a couple hundreds yards away might require maybe 5 feet or somewhere around there, providing your not going for close FG detail. A factor may be a zoom lens as well.

I shot this with a 100-400L...

100-400 3D

I kinda stick to the 20 foot rule and work from there. If you do it often enough, you'll start to get the feel for where you need to be.

JBR

Oct 30, 2009 at 10:27 AM
Tim ONeill
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

Nice tricky shots John. I see you are still using Mike's lens.

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM
brainiac
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

John Richter wrote:
Also, the further the subject is away. The more you have to shift from 1st to 2nd shot. Rule of thumb that I learned was if it's 20 feet and beyond, shift 1 foot. Closer than that means less shift. macro for instance is very little shift. Something a couple hundreds yards away might require maybe 5 feet or somewhere around there, providing your not going for close FG detail. A factor may be a zoom lens as well.

Focal length makes no difference, only parallax defines the strength of 3D. For a realistic 3D view you should never separate the cameras by more than 2.5 inches or so. Any further separation will produce an exaggerated effect, no matter how far away the subject is. However, with distant subjects we don't see very strong 3D with our eyes, because the parallax effect is so small. Consequently, for distant subjects you can 'improve' on human 3D vision by separating the eyes further, but it's not realistic, from a human point of view.

Oct 30, 2009 at 01:55 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kinda Creepy - 3D (B&W Added)

I'm really bummed. Had lens implants a few years ago and opted for the mono-vision approach: one for near sight the other at regular vision. It's generally pretty useful like no glasses for reading and such but makes this sort of 3D impossible. Doesn't matter what I do with my eyes, nothing ever goes 3D

Oct 30, 2009 at 02:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.