Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

Archive 2009 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

hnilsson wrote:
Good grief, Conrad, so you decide to go out and for a shoot and this is what you end up with in a day I need to move obviously! Good job.

Your experience with that 7D seems to mirror my own. I hope to see more of the AF system in future bodies (perhaps a fairly safe bet).

H

Ya I was blessed by the birding gods that day! Don't you just love the AF point tracking? Its a joy to watch at work!

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:16 PM
jfwoodman
• • • •
p.2 #2 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

This is very helpful as I consider the 7D for nature photography. I love my 1DIII's AF tracking, but find the 10MP inadequate for cropping needs when using a 400 or 500mm lens, especially for birds (and an 800 is not in the cards at this point). And my 40D's AF for BIF ends up frustrating me (but I'm sure 90% of that is user incompetence).

I also wonder if you find the 7D's AF significantly better than the 50D - or if others find the 7D close to comparable to the 1DIII? Mr. Israel - any thoughts?

If the 7D could focus even 80-90% as well as the 1DIII, I would probably make the switch, as I don't need many of the "pro" features of the 1D.

Thanks again for these examples.

Edited on Oct 06, 2009 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:18 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Conrad Tan wrote:
I still have not read the manual,

BTW those in flight refueling shots are great!
Socrate

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:23 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Awesome images, Conrad. You're really showing off the 7D.

I don't think that there's any doubt that it'll track a bird in flight!

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:30 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

I'm terribly sorry fellas but as is part of my workflow due to my ever shrinking amount of storage space, I delete most images as I post them.

These three photos are the only ones I found in my recycle bin so again I apologize. I will be going out to shoot again tomorrow so I'll put up some comparisons on this post for all that have requested original shots.

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:32 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

I found one more original...

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:35 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

sivrajbm wrote:
Nice set Conrad, it would help though to see the original then the crop or vis-versa for comparison

I'll go out again tomorrow and shoot some heavy crops for you. I delete my stuff as soon as I finish processing to save memory. (I'm almost out )

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:41 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

genemiller wrote:
Wonderful series, Conrad. All the photos are extremely sharp, even with the "heavy crop" you used. Could you post the originals on photos 1, 2, and 3 so we could get an idea of how much cropping you did? It would be very helpful in understanding the crop limits. Thanks.

GENE

I'll put some up tomorrow for you Gene and other's that have asked. I put what I had left in my recycle bin up.

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:43 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

pinball_pw wrote:
Nice set Conrad. Looks like you can crop these pretty heavily and have usable files. I like all of them, but number 4 would be my favorite of the set. - Paul

Thanks Paul!

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:44 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Gil_W wrote:
Beautiful. Great examples of what the camera can do in good light with an excellent photog.

Aww Gil stop it your making me blush!

Search in Used Dept. 

jolson72
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #11 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Could you put up a few more examples so I can really see what the cropped images might look like...........

akilah
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

These are *really really good*. Not just a bit good. I'm jealous, particularly of the dragonflies, I've been trying to capture them in flight too with no luck -- did the autofocus on the 7D help, or was it just photographer's instinct?

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:45 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Dave Bachrach wrote:
Conrad,

Wow! What an awesome series with any dslr camera or lens. How does your 7D "keeper" rate compare to your 50D? In your opinion Is the new auto focus worth the upgrade from a 50D?

Dave

Definately worth the upgrade from the 50D IMHO. Just from frame rate alone, my keeper rate has DOUBLED. Only thing is I can only sell my 50D for $900. So be ready to pony up the $1000 for the rest. My credit card is still reeling from the pain

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:46 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

jolson72 wrote:
Could you put up a few more examples so I can really see what the cropped images might look like...........

Yes I will tomorrow. I delete my stuff after processing of late due to lack of memory. I am going out again to the same spot so the images will be the same again.

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:49 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

akilah wrote:
These are *really really good*. Not just a bit good. I'm jealous, particularly of the dragonflies, I've been trying to capture them in flight too with no luck -- did the autofocus on the 7D help, or was it just photographer's instinct?

The dragons were just lucky my friend. They would zip by, then hover for 1 second. Then zip away. The 8fps of the 7D IMHO is what got me the shot. I just traced the flight path as best I can and when they hovered, the AF locked on and got them!

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:50 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Jim Woidat wrote:
This is very helpful as I consider the 7D for nature photography. I love my 1DIII's AF tracking, but find the 10MP inadequate for cropping needs when using a 400 or 500mm lens, especially for birds (and an 800 is not in the cards at this point). And my 40D's AF for BIF ends up frustrating me (but I'm sure 90% of that is user incompetence).

I also wonder if you find the 7D's AF significantly better than the 50D - or if others find the 7D close to comparable to the 1DIII? Mr. Israel - any thoughts?

If
...Show more

Well Jim, I've never used the 1DmarkIII so I can't comment on the comparisons regarding AF, but as far as from the 40D to the 7D? Probably worlds apart. It doesn't disappoint I can guarantee it.

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:54 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Shasoc wrote:

BTW those in flight refueling shots are great!
Socrate

Hahahha!! Socrate you kill me.

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:54 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Tom_W wrote:
Awesome images, Conrad. You're really showing off the 7D.

I don't think that there's any doubt that it'll track a bird in flight!

Thank you sir! I'm just having a ball with it Tom. If it is any prelude to the new 1DmarkIV AF system, I think folks will be really happy.

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:55 PM
kirry007
• • •
Account locked
p.2 #19 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

Dood !!! Is this Auto-AF mode ? Amazing stuff, Conrad !

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:58 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · 7D - Mid to heavy crop performance

kirry007 wrote:
Dood !!! Is this Auto-AF mode ? Amazing stuff, Conrad !

YES!!! I did no work here... just kinda pointed in the general area of the birds in flight.. then closed my eyes. Seriously!

Oct 06, 2009 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password