New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Zuiko lenses

bestdayz

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zuiko lenses

i just came into possession of a few OM zuiko prime lenses and was wondering what the general consensus was on them....i've done some searching but there were varied opinions....
i like them b/c they are light and for travel they seem perfect. just wanted to know if they are up to par on quality and resolution etc..

50 1.4
28 3.5
85 2
135 2.8
200 4

Aug 01, 2009 at 02:32 AM
ovredal73
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zuiko lenses

I assume you are shooting 4/3s, OM or most likely Canon - and I think you got a good set there - the 85/2 is really nice, the 28/3.5 is highly regarded even though I never use mine, and I really like my 135/2.8. And 200/4 is a nice lightweight tele. Get yourself some adapters and start shooting!

Aug 01, 2009 at 03:25 AM
IDURITA
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zuiko lenses

I am a great Zuiko fan. I love those compact but solid build lenses. As mentioned the 85 f/2 is a very good lens, so are the 28mm and the 50mm.

Just take a look at my sample photos:

http://www.pbase.com/rudiknust/olympus

Aug 01, 2009 at 06:50 AM
alexandre
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zuiko lenses

What can I say?
The general consensus it's an amazing series for the alt gearheads like us...
A great combination of price, size and IQ.
I'm looking for some lenses to pseudo-complete my set, and the 85/2 is one of them.

Aug 01, 2009 at 08:19 AM
IDURITA
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zuiko lenses

I am not really a "professional" photographer, rather a learning amateur. But maybe the images in my gallery can give a clue about the quality of the Zuiko lenses.

Aug 01, 2009 at 09:03 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zuiko lenses

weezintrumpete has a few shots of with the Zuiko 50 1.4 to give you a clue about it.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597185/173 1/2 way down
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/597185/176 1/3 way down

Aug 01, 2009 at 09:44 AM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zuiko lenses

If you don't end up liking that 85/2, I'll gladly take it off of your hands.

In all seriousness, you've got some great lenses. On your list, I've only used the 50/1.4 (like RustyBug said above - thanks!) and the 28/3.5. Both of those are great and I've heard great things about the others also.

So yeah, nice lenses, wish I had a few of them!

If you want to see some example shots, take a look at my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/weezintrumpeteer/ and search for "50/1.4" or "28/3.5". That should get you all the shots I've posted taken with those lenses.

Have fun!

Aug 01, 2009 at 11:16 AM
bestdayz

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zuiko lenses

cool. i thought i was doing my dad a favor by taking some of his old "junk" off his hands...looks like he was doing me a favor.

i'll have to do some experimenting before deciding if i want to sell.
i've shot some on his om2n but haven't developed yet....the 50 seems right up my alley. i've been craving something for low light and aquarium shooting and didnt want to shell out cash for the canon 50 which is a plastic piece of junk in build--in glass its good. not to mention i don't need the AF since its useless in low light usually.

Aug 01, 2009 at 01:19 PM
davidearls
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zuiko lenses

I have all these lenses except the 135 f2.8; in that FL I have the 135 f4.5 macro.

The 28 f3.5 by most marks is the best of the Zuiko 282, and one of the sharpest corner-to-corner WAs you'll find. Don't be afraid to stop it all the way down to f16.

The 50 f1.4 wide open produces bokeh that some (including me) like very much, but that others don't like so much. It stops down wonderfully.

The 85 f2 is one of the overlooked Zuikos. Great little portrait lens whether you're shooting FF or crop.

After working with my 200 f4 for a while, I decioded it was every bit the equal of my Canon 180 f3.5 macro. So I sold the Canon. Another great overlooked Zuiko.

These lenses have two things in common. First, Zuiko color, which I call "egg tempera color", the color of Raphael and Fra Angelico. Second, they're all low contrast, but respond beautifully to varying degrees of contrat boost in PP.

Sincerest congrats - you've got a great little collection there -

Aug 01, 2009 at 01:25 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.