Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2009 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

John Daniel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

I did my little tests as well since I had only the Z-pro holder to work with and did not want to invest in a new filter system. I was wondering if I could fit a Z-pro holder on the TS-E 17. and the answer is yes and thanks to Doug Ball who inspired me.

So if you want to use a Z-pro system, you need :

1. a 96mm Cokin adapter ring for the Z-Pro and to be precise you need a TH 1.00 (thinkness 1). (ordered at Adorama and receive 2 days later at $30 USD).

2. Then put some good black photo tape (the one you buy at pro photo stores). You cover the interior surface (inside the collar) of the ring with the tape and go over the thread up to the base. Do not put any on the base since you have to slide your holder on it. You put 2 thickness of tape. With the 96mm having a thickness of 2 tapes on it, it just fits right to go on your barrel around the lens and stick there just before the focus ring. A bit like the foam is doing with Doug's example. You just push a little (not to much) to fix it there and it holds still and enough to be able to gently turn the holder around the ring for adjustments if need be.

3. Contrary to Doug, you put the ring in the regular way, thread in the direction of the lens (since they are covered with the 2 thickness of tape. That allows you to leave it on the lens and just remove the holder if need be.

4. I recommend mounting the holder on the ring before using it.

I will try to post pictures later.

JD

Aug 27, 2009 at 05:06 PM
Doug Ball
• •
p.2 #2 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

John
Are you able to do a full shift while in the horizontal mode? This will be the most demanding situation.
In reality when you are using these filters you probably are not using that much shift and certainly not max shift. With the Z-pro filters they are certainly smaller than my X-pro and that's an advantage.

Aug 29, 2009 at 02:34 PM
John Daniel
• • •
p.2 #3 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Hi Doug,

Not a full switch but let's say about 3/5 to the right and to the left before starting to see the holder. Now, I could remove one of the plates on the holder since I have left them all because I want to use more than 1 filter. By removing 1 plate on each sides and allowing for only 1 filter I could enhance the results let's say up to 3/4 of the full shift but, as you mentioned, not as good results as the one when using an X-pro filter holder which is a lot larger.

So for let's say ND grads, I should be able to manage unless I really want to make a very wide panorama stitch, which I do not do often. For when I use a solid ND filter, I could turn the holder on the horizontal and then make a a full swing stitch that would use the widest perspective.

Since I am now really broke after purchasing the TS-E 17mm and the TS-E 24mm (by the way, for the interested people, I have FOR SALE a like new and very rare USA copy of Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II for sale at $1,750 CAD = +- $ 1,575 USD), I do not have the means to buy a whole new filter system and I really like my Singh-Rays.

JD

Aug 29, 2009 at 10:06 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Is anyone aware of a square circular polarizer large enough to be used this way? On B&H, I see some large cinematography polarizers in $500 range...
I assume the circ pol is necessary for the exposure to read right; focus is not an issue, of course.

(I don't suppose there is any hope of holding my 86mm circ pol, from my 16-35 soon to be sold, in front of this lens...)

Edited on Sep 18, 2009 at 01:32 PM · View previous versions

Sep 18, 2009 at 01:23 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Wonderful work.

Just curious, how useful do you find the holder. I have been hand holding my ND Grads and had good results.

Sep 18, 2009 at 01:31 PM
Doug Ball
• •
p.2 #6 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

The holder is essential as it blocks light from behind the camera when you use the 17 with the protruding element. When handholding a filter on the 24 TS-E, for example you can place it against the front of the lens, but this is not possible with the 17 and it picks up reflections on the filter from the rear.

Sep 18, 2009 at 02:35 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

The quest to find a filter solution for this lens reminds me of trying to diffuse the light from the MT-24EX.

I look forward to seeing some excellent result as I too, am waiting for my copy of this lens.

Sep 18, 2009 at 02:49 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Thoughts about the appropriateness of these filters:

5x5 Circ pol
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/474013-REG/Schneider_68013159_5x5_Circular_True_Polarizing_Water.html

Linear
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/474012-REG/Schneider_68013059_5x5_True_Polarizing_Water_White.html#features

I can rig up a holder for 5x5. A few questions:

1. Is "circular" necessary for this manual focus lens? I like getting focus confirmation beep, but that only occurs when the lens is not shifted or tilted anyway. Is a Circ necessary for the ttl exposure reading to be correct?

2. These Schneider lenses claim they are "true-polerizers" and are 12x's more effective than others.. whassup with that?

Any recommendations will be apreciated :-)

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:30 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.2 #9 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Not sure I'd ever do this as I still have yet to order the 17 but this is an interesting thread and I thought I'd throw this out there, especially for Roy.

Since you need to cover the air gap behind the filter to stop reflections anyway, why not use something to hold the filter thats mounted in the camera's hot shoe. I'm thinking of a small piece of flat aluminum bar mounted onto a Wein hot shoe that extends past the end of the lens. If you could mount the filter onto the end of the bar and place a small piece of plastic on top to cover the gap it would do two things. Protect the lens itself since nothing touches it and also allows you to manual focus with the filter in place. You would have to be careful when mounting and un-mounting the apparatus. I'm sure someone with machining experience could do this rather easily.
John

Sep 21, 2009 at 05:40 PM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.2 #10 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Yes, John, I was thinking of something projecting from the camera mount, but I like your idea better. Then, I thought I'd just drape a small black cloth over the whole thing, perhaps with an opening with a square frame sewn in, to slip onto the filter.

I'm talking to Schneider Optics about the right filter.

Sep 21, 2009 at 06:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Does anybody have an opinion about circular vs. linear polarizer for this manual lens?
(Think I'll post the question over on alternative lenses too.)

Sep 21, 2009 at 07:04 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Roy Pertchik wrote:
Does anybody have an opinion about circular vs. linear polarizer for this manual lens?
(Think I'll post the question over on alternative lenses too.)

I was of the view for a manual focus lens, a LPL should be fine. The metering may be affected and how much so isn't usually known until you try it - if you rotate the filter and the exposure changes then it's affecting the metering, but you have the histogram to help out, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Unless the LPL is much cheaper and still of high quality - eg multicoated etc, I'd stick with a CPL which can be used on other AF lenses.

Sep 22, 2009 at 05:42 AM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Thanks Pixel

Sep 22, 2009 at 09:34 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Please pardon my ignorance but apart from a CPL, is there any filter which its effect can not be replicated in PP?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:59 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Yakim Peled wrote:
Please pardon my ignorance but apart from a CPL, is there any filter which its effect can not be replicated in PP?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

An ND depending on how long an exposure you want.

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

10X. So, CPL, ND, anything more?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:56 AM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

I Thin a CPL and a ND about cover it, if you don't mind layering multiple exposures.
I just ordered Formatt 5.65x5.65 filters for the 17T&S; a CPL and a 1.8 ND (aka 6 stops, aka 64x) Hope that that was a good choice because, well, $'s. As I recall from a few waterfall shoots, 1.8 is pretty good for misting water, and can work with a CPL stacked for 7 or so stops. I can work out the holder. I've already taken a Lee 82mm WA adapter and trimmed the inside to fit onto the lens flanges that engage the lens cap of the 17T&S. Now I can mount that ring on the lens, and then clip on the Lee holder. Now all I have to do is add width to the Lee holder and add standoffs to hold the filter(s) forward of the HAL9000 eye.

Sep 23, 2009 at 06:17 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

... and then you have to productize it and sell it to all the 17TSE people, such as me

Sep 23, 2009 at 06:36 AM
Roy Pertchik
• • • •
p.2 #19 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Hmmm... if the "downturn" continues much longer, possibly :-)

Sep 23, 2009 at 06:44 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Canon 17 TSE filter tests

Yakim Peled wrote:
10X. So, CPL, ND, anything more?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Occasionally a GND - yes I know you can do multiple exposures, but sometimes the GND is perfect and saves time in PP. I have a couple in the bag always.

Sep 23, 2009 at 09:19 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password